Second ice hut

mike rousseau

I'm looking to get a second ice hut for family days on the ice or road trips with buddies...

I'm thinking something big enough for 2 with lots of gear (1-2 rods each... Heater... Sonar... Minow pail...etc....) for trips or me the wife and our little fella just getting out.... And in a pinch fit 3 guys with one rod each...

I'm looking at getting a pop up hut to save on space, weight and money.... This will be my secondary hut... I currently have a fish trap pro for run and gun solo fishing... But I'd like to be able to do trips with buddies and all be comfortable.... And take my wife and kid out for some perching and hot cocoa....

Leaning towards Eskimo fat fish 949... MSRP $299

Its 94x94 inch floor space 7'10"x7'10"

Or

The fat fish 767 is 76x76 floor space with MSRP of $250

6 '4"x6'4"

Leaning to the flatfish for the extra floor space.... And the overall shape should be better in heavy wind then traditional cubes.....

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

If your plan is to hunker down in a spot, and stay there, you can't beat those pop up huts. They would be perfect for you, your wife, and child. A buddy of mine uses one all the time, and I'll tell ya, its pretty handy once its up and your on fish.

It really sucks if you want to move though!! (its actually not "that" bad, but nothing like the flip huts)

I forget what model his is, but its an eskimo, and its pretty big. Works great, no problems at all that I know of, and this will be his 3rd winter with it now.

I'm thinking of getting one this season as well.

S.

If your plan is to hunker down in a spot, and stay there, you can't beat those pop up huts. They would be perfect for you, your wife, and child. A buddy of mine uses one all the time, and I'll tell ya, its pretty handy once its up and your on fish.

It really sucks if you want to move though!! (its actually not "that" bad, but nothing like the flip huts)

I forget what model his is, but its an eskimo, and its pretty big. Works great, no problems at all that I know of, and this will be his 3rd winter with it now.

I'm thinking of getting one this season as well.

S.

Thanks... And like I said... I have a 1 man for moving around...

This is gunna be for lazy fishing.... Just getting out with friends/family.... Where the company ant time is more important then the fishing....

I forget what model his is, but its an eskimo,

A buddy has one. I was skeptic at first about them,but after sitting in it,their great. If your out on a nice calm day,you can just drag it while it,s still set up. Lots of room. For two.But like I said before on another topic.If your with Terry,bring your own.LOL

I've got the Eskimo FatFish 949. Love it. I was out almost a dozen times last season and a few were just me, a couple with a buddy, a couple with my daughter and even a trip with all three kids and wife. Fantastic hut. Lots of room, stable, easy to set up. At the fullest I had my family, chairs for all, 2 camp tables, heater. Left my two sleds and auger outside. All the other times I had all gear inside.

I've got the Eskimo FatFish 949. Love it. I was out almost a dozen times last season and a few were just me, a couple with a buddy, a couple with my daughter and even a trip with all three kids and wife. Fantastic hut. Lots of room, stable, easy to set up. At the fullest I had my family, chairs for all, 2 camp tables, heater. Left my two sleds and auger outside. All the other times I had all gear inside.

Thanks for the review...

I appreciate it...

That Fatfish should be great for space Mike. Have just the InstaShak 2-man 76"X76" and it's been "good enough" for me and a buddy or, me and two kids. LeB's has them on now and again for around $150 and although some guys might crap on HT, you could have two for the price of one. Going into my third year with mine, use it each winter, load it into the sleigh, on the quad, and backpack it out sometimes too. It's lasting fine so far. Easy to pop up, but yeah, if planning to move alot, the Clam is better.

I noticed that Costco stores have the Clam Summit pop-up this year. 6'x8' rather than the standard 6'x6' like my Eskimo QuickFish 3.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $200.

Summit