Mickey Mouse Bass

Aaron Shirley

I took my family to Orlando recently for a family vacation. It was a great time and the kids had a blast! We will be booking another trip or two in the future :)

I packed a pack rod and a small assortment of lures to fish the lakes at Disney, but unfortunately, Mickey does not allow fishing on his lakes unless you pay through the nose. Fishing is prohibited by boat or from shore unless booking a 2 or 4 hour trip with a guide. And it is expensive. Since I was on vacation and wanted my son Brayden to have the "full" Disney experience, I bit the bullet and forked over the dough. I'm glad I did, as my son absolutely loved it and went nuts! He didn't sit still the entire time, and I still wonder if that was his favourite part of Disney lol.

We met our guide Brian who was a great guy. Safety was paramount, as I booked a Nitro bass boat but got a pontoon boat due to the effects of the hurricane with high winds and my little guy was with me. At first I was a bit disappointed, but truth be told, it was for the best. It was a stable platform for my son with a guard rail. I didn't fish on this trip, I just wanted my son to have a good time and catch fish. The largemouth were small but plentiful, despite a major cold-front that day and high winds.

My son caught the biggest bass of the trip all by himself while reeling in which was awesome! His eyes opened up as big as plates when the bass smacked his minnow! My son loved everything about the trip from the boat ride, to catching minnows in the livewell, to hooking and reeling in the largies. I loved that he loved it so much :)

The guide was impressed with my son's abilities not only to catch fish, but to catch minnows in his livewell with his bare hands so quickly lol. My son took a liking to our guide and peppered him with questions the entire time. He also suckered the guide into giving him 9 soft plastic lures hahaha. I tipped Brian accordingly, as he was a great sport. My son is a total lure junkie. He asks me to give him new lures almost every day or take him to buy him some. I'm definitely creating a monster lol. He has his own tackle box and it's almost full at the age of three!

Our two hours of magical bass fishing at the Magic Kingdom was well worth it to see the little guy smile ear to ear catching bass with an infectious enthusiasm only a three-year-old can display. We shared memories in that short time that will last our lifetime. The guide used power poles to hold us while we cast out shiners on a line without any weight to sparse grassy edges on structure. The structure was subtle changes in the grass edges that led to slightly deeper water about 9-feet deep. The tackle was cheesy wave spin reels on crappy 7 foot poles is all I can describe them as lol. It didn't matter to my son, as he handled the rods and reels well, cast them well and reeled them in just fine. Brian used circle hooks to lip-hook the minnow and toss it out 20 feet, and it was that simple. Effective and entertaining for a three-year-old.

It was just what the doctor ordered after countless hours waiting in line-ups for rides and the usual grind associated at Disney. It was $200. for two hours and worth every penny, especially considering that was the cheapest part of the trip. Here are some photos of my son with his magical bass. Enjoy :)

Disney_Bass_01.jpg

Disney_Bass_02.jpg

Disney_Bass_03.jpg

Disney_Bass_04.jpg

Disney_Bass_05.jpg

Disney_Bass_06.jpg

Disney_Bass_07.jpg

Disney_Bass_08.jpg

If you are planning a trip to Orlando to Disney, plan to get out and fish some Magic Kingdom bass! The do trips at the Kingdom and Epcot.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Glad you had a great outing. The bassin can be fantasmic at the House of Mouse.

I am disappointed to hear they changed the rules about fishing at the park. You used to be able to shore fish in various parts of the park, as long as it was not in the main attraction and traffic areas. Used to be able to fish from shore in the campground, Pop Century, Dixie Landings.

Love it!!

I can't wait to get down there this year. I have a house there and there are 4 big ponds near my house. I managed to catch my biggest largie ever out of one of them from the shore. My cousins live on a bigger lake and I have managed to catch a bunch of 1 pounders off their dock too.

Awesome!!!

Cool thing is, he's little and getting the chance to do the Disney things suited to little. He'll get a little bigger Aaron and you can go back and shell out more cash to do bigger rides and things. Then in his teens you'll be back there again, you'll be on Okeechobee and the ocean together beating up on bass and redfish, but still going to Disney and riding Space Mountain and the Tower of Terror together.

Boy can catch bass like daddy!