Enjoy the Roe!

alexmedic

It is amazing what one step can mean.

Today while fishing the notty, I quickly learned that 1 step in muddy waters can make the thigh high water, become chest high!

After i caught myself and quickly waded to shallower water, I watched two full roe containers drift down the river.

So if anyone comes across a container full of rainbow roe or a container full of salmon roe - enjoy!

Unfortunately my secret added touch to each sac is now out there for discovery :(

But on the bright side, I'm still alive. Be careful out there, the undercurrent is crazy right now!

I've taken a swim in most of the bigger systems up North. Not enjoyable.

Although my last swim in the Saugeen was a complete hoot for those across from me. I'll remember to set the hook with less aggression next time I'm standing on a rock in waist deep water...

Definitely a close call.

I figured by now the roe is somewhere out in Georgian Bay! :D

A few seasons ago, I recieved this as a Father's Day gift:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36466?feat=sr&term=wading%20staff

I never really used it until yesterday, but man I was glad to have it.

BPS makes their own version now. Much cheaper, but I could not comment on the quality ..

My ski pole cost me a swim in the Saugeen. I was fighting a fish and turned to walk out toward the bank. Didn't realize it but it was tethered to my belt and dangling diagonally across my shins just below my knees. Feet got tangled up in it and down I went. Rod in the air with one hand and doin' the sidestroke with the other.

Not a nice place to be.

On the oher hand it has proved it's worth many times over on lots of other occasions.

Don't leave home without it!

Some folks wear an automatically inflating PFD when wading deep rivers. (With the rocks on the Bighead a hardhat might be a better idea, lest you get a big headw00t.gif)

I went head first into the Biggie last December. Not a fun thing to do, and made me realize really quickly that my gear was sub-par. I was lucky, and righted myself quickly before I get into deep trouble but I could have just as easily cranked my head on a rock and taken the long swim.

Now I wear a wading belt on my waders, a second belt on my jacket, carry a staff, and my cuffs are as tight as possible whenever I wade bigger water. This proved to be a good strategy during my Saugeen swim this year.

I went head first into the Biggie last December. Not a fun thing to do, and made me realize really quickly that my gear was sub-par. I was lucky, and righted myself quickly before I get into deep trouble but I could have just as easily cranked my head on a rock and taken the long swim.

Now I wear a wading belt on my waders, a second belt on my jacket, carry a staff, and my cuffs are as tight as possible whenever I wade bigger water. This proved to be a good strategy during my Saugeen swim this year.

Ill bring the camera ...let me know when your fishing on the Geen again....i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the entertainment of the water folies (fallies)..sometimes more fun then fishing... :thumbsup_anim:

Sail in Oshawa has extend-able hiking poles on for $20 right now, and they come in a 2 pack.

For 10 bucks each my buddy and I both got a wading staff, and that makes the $100+ Simms model even more hilarious.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the Sail in Burlington to see what they have.

Ill bring the camera ...let me know when your fishing on the Geen again....i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the entertainment of the water folies (fallies)..sometimes more fun then fishing... :thumbsup_anim:

Would have liked this one - set the hook into a good fish while I was standing on a rock in fairly deep water. I was using the pull of the fish to stay balanced on the rock, until the fish came right at me :stretcher:

Went backwards like a falling tree

Would have liked this one - set the hook into a good fish while I was standing on a rock in fairly deep water. I was using the pull of the fish to stay balanced on the rock, until the fish came right at me :stretcher:

Went backwards like a falling tree

Sounds like a great place to go and take vids and do a documentary . :w00t:

Sounds like a great place to go and take vids and do a documentary . :w00t:

i would be lying if i said it never happens to me...but just the other day a guy did a somersault in the current while trying to walk out to the rockpile...(no camera) :wallbash: i just love the look on their faces when they get up to see if anyone saw what just happened...my recent fall wasnt that bad...i changed to my studded waders and had super grip on everything i stepped on so it gave me a great sense of security and confidence that I didnt have to look down to see where i was walking (water was dirty) well i tripped over the largest bolder in the river and went forward... both arms up to my pits got soaked...and of course EVERYONE was standing watching... :oops: