Foul weather Musky

Nipfisher

Had the pleasure of getting out on the water with my good buddy and phenominal guide Dan Columby. I managed to get my 9 year old son out on the water with us as well. Forecast was for 0 degrees celsius with 20 km/h North winds making it feel like -7. We were on the water for 9am and after locating some massive schools of bait fish we set up trolling. Dan had a destination in mind so we trolled a channel between some islands on route to "the spot". It was a short troll and we were casting by 9:40. It didn't take long for Danny to hook into one on a sledge and he handed me the rod. I brought the musky up close to the boat then she bolted turning inside my rod (between me and the boat) and shook the hook out. We all had a good look at the fish before I lost it and figure it was a healthy 42-43".

We worked that area for a while then did some more trolling. It was close to noon and Alex was getting cold. He was doing a great job casting a depth raider but will have to work on distance. Although he got the hooks tangled with the leader, and rod on almost every cast he never bird-nested once! :Gonefishing:

Around 1pm a call was made to mother and she agreed to meet us at the docks to pick up Alex. We dropped him off and returned to trolling. No luck with the troll so we returned to casting. We had a big musky follow right to the boat but wouldn't commit on the figure 8. I got a small pike that hit my lure at boat side. It was getting close to the end of the day and knowing that sun-set was prime time we headed back to "the spot".

At 4:20 while casting a buck-tail Danny says "here's one and it's big". I grab the net and he says "here grab the rod". I got her in beside the boat and Danny slid the net under her. We cut the hooks and popped out the mangled buck-tail. Dan lifted her out and placed her on the bumper board. 49" and measured the girth at 22". He picked her back up and slid her back in the lake. She was ready to go immediately and swam away strong.

These pics were all extracted from the GoPro Hero2 video we took of the measurements and relrease.

Enjoy...I did.

musky1-1.jpg

musky2-1.jpg

musky3-1.jpg

musky4.png

Awesome day out beauty fish congrats for getting the youngster out

Thanks Mike,

Over a year ago I promissed you a $100 order but cancelled because of my job situation. Wel if I can stay on full time for thwe winter, I'll place that order. I am a stand-up guy and it has been bothering me that I didn't follow through. I want to "Zing the Bling" next year.

Thanks Mike,

Over a year ago I promissed you a $100 order but cancelled because of my job situation. Wel if I can stay on full time for thwe winter, I'll place that order. I am a stand-up guy and it has been bothering me that I didn't follow through. I want to "Zing the Bling" next year.

Heck absolutely no worries there taking care of the family with a home food and actually having a life come well before adding more baits in the tackle box. Please don't let stuff like that bother you I would commend you for putting family first as there to many that would not.

Keep the fishing reports coming.