Got my boat!!!! Happy happy!

After looking at fairly crusty 10-15 yr old boats for the past month in the $3000 - $4000 range, a near new package came along yesterday that I just couldn't pass up. Here's the specs of what I got...

16 ft Tracker Deep V Guide Edition (2006)

Custom built flat wood floor (carpeted)

30 HP Honda 4-Stroke (2006) Longshaft tiller Outboard with electric start

Deep cycle battery

4 new Mustang lifejackets

Rubbermaid storage bin for lifejackets, etc.

Northland trailer

5 security items (trailer wheel immobilizer, cable lock for motor, bar lock for motor, hitch lock & ball blocker lock)

Portable Eagle 128 fish finder

Boat safety kit

3 Clamp on swivel boat seats

46lb thrust transom mount Minn Kota electric trolling motor

Navigation lights (need to be wired in though)

Boat cover with straps

Anchor

"Muffs" to run it with the garden hose

Paid $6500 for the package, more than I wanted to spend on a boat, but this boat far exceeds anything I had dreamed of in that price range. I will post some pics soon... :) Can't wait to take her out this weekend on Rice!

Now here's my dumb question for the day. Does the Honda engine charge the battery for me or will I have to manually recharge it? I looked thru the owners manual and on the www.honda.ca website, and it looks like the electric start comes equipped with a 10A alternator (the pull start has a 6A). There is just the two wires hooked up from the battery to the motor. What about running the trolling motor from the same battery? Does it still charge enough to keep the battery full? Help!

thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Fisherpete

I am no battery expert, but I wouldn't run the trolling motor from the engine start battery. Cranking batteries are for providing a big burst all at once to start the engine. Deep cycle batteries are set-up different to run for more prolonged periods of time with constant changes in requirements, i.e. variable speed trolling motors.

As I said, I am not an expert, but I would go with a 31 series deep cycle with a minimum 200 minute reserve. I have 2 for my 24V motor and have never, ever, run out of juice, or even run them half way down after a full 10 hour day. One should do the same thing for you.

By the way, congrats on the boat - seems like a sweet deal - care to share where you picked it up? It should move pretty well with that 30.

Now here's my dumb question for the day

No such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid answers :blink::D

Sounds like you bought a nice package, congratulations and have lots of fun with it. We are all are anxious to see the pictures. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up buying a second battery and a charger just to run the trolling motor and the lights. Don't want to be caught way down the lake at the end of a long fishing day with a dead battery! Spent a few extra bucks and grabbed the Nautilus spiral core model from Canadian Tire, seems like a pretty good one, has a 4 yr warranty and apparently the spiral core ones can charge much faster than a normal battery. (?)

I also noticed that I didn't mention above that the package I bought is used (if you can call purchased August of 2006 used!), but even so, I think I got a really good deal. Maiden voyage to be Saturday on Rice, time to open up the cottage.

Here's one pic I have from the ad, I still haven't taken any myself LOL!

ffdf_20.JPG

Edited by Fisherpete