Little Vermilion Lake - 4th day

TennesseeGuy

After 3 days of so-so fishing success, I was rewarded yesterday. Wind shifted from S to NNW, and picked up enough to provide a strong chop. A temperature drop fired me up and somehow brought walleyes into an eating mode.

On my usual milk run I was picking up only a few 14" - 16" walleyes, but that turned around when I reached a big reef at the north end of LV. Fishing the wind blown edge I got into the walleye bite of a decade. It stayed extremely hot for 4+ hours.

Little Vermilion Lake is know for holding lots of huge pike and tons of small to medium walleyes. Yesterday's walleyes were bigger than usual for the lake, with many from 19" to 23". That's not big walleyes for some waters, but I was into catching what's here, not what's somewhere else.

I enjoyed over 4 hours of constant catch, release, drop the jig and then all over again. At times my jig didn't make it to the bottom. Not quite a feeding frenzy, but close at times. Fish did everything for me except hit on the surface.

Try to overlook my excitement if you're in an area where 6-15 pound walleyes are the usual October catch.

Weather has Brett, son Mason and Mike Fliss in camp today until they can fly north. Mason went out with his bow for a moose hunt this a.m. A brisk wind kept him from calling in a moose, but he had a pack of wolves moving in on him. The wolf population is up and clear cuttng has cut down on their space. It's not a good situation. Wolves are becoming awfully bold.

Wind is brisk from the south. North winds have always been kind to me, but it's not my call.

Fried walleyes head up my menu for tonight's dinner. Five straight days of walleyes and counting.

Plenty of moose in the freezer and hanging. Chickens on the path offering their head for a whack with a stick.

Gotta check our weather forecast. If it's nasty enough I may sit out a day to wash my hair and do my nails. Gotta stay pretty, even in the bush.

It is that time of year Mike. I guessing his colours of choice are Dr. Death Pink and Blueberry Muffin. Gotta look good for those walleye. :D

BAH! good one Will...

Nice going TG and enjoy it for all it's worth!

A long long time considering the current weather forecast and I'm never sleeping on the Marathon Airport floor again for a night, let alone what looks like would be a week!

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on the conditions, winds were wicked today.

Just poking you with a stick Wayne, but seriously with good weather how long would it take ya to make that ride?

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on the conditions, winds were wicked today.

Just poking you with a stick Wayne, but seriously with good weather how long would it take ya to make that ride?

Had a buddy of mine, from Surrey BC, leave my dock at 7am... waited out a thunderstorm in Thunder Bay and still had supper with his sister in Winnipeg that evening!

Had a buddy of mine, from Surrey BC, leave my dock at 7am... waited out a thunderstorm in Thunder Bay and still had supper with his sister in Winnipeg that evening!

Had the storm calmed enough that they could have dinner together comfortably?