Which fly reel to choose?

Live2fish85

Hey there all.

I am having a 8wt fly rod built by Spiel which I get very soon.

I am trying to decide what reel to go with.

I like the Hardy DD 7000 and the Lamson Guru. I am not sure about the thin large arbour reel from hardy, has anyone used this reel?

As for the lamson I know I like it but I like the looks of the Hardy better.

Which would you think is a better reel?

Thanks

Edited by Live2fish85

I didn't see that Brian I will go look.

I have read nothing bad about Lamson specially there sealed drag and it is one of the better drag systems from what I have read. I am like a kid at christmas about getting this rod lol.

Chris I am using it for Steelhead mainly but will be using it for pike.

Edited by Live2fish85

For what it's worth the reel seat hardware is anodized in titanium and the trim wraps are in silver, something that works with that would look cool. thumbsup_anim.gif

chris858.jpg

Spiel that rod looks amazing!!!!,I will also see you in the see able future when i can grab a couple more decent accounts. Working on it hard.

what length is the rod? is it a single hand or a switch?

I've had a guru for a few years now, it's light and the drag is smooth and has a wide range...I'm not a huge fan of the drag knob with cold fingers and gloves...personal preference there...the finish has held up with a few scratches, the lettering has completely worn off....there is nothing wrong with the reel overall, it just has a somewhat cheap feeling and look to it (plus the plastic drag housing), wouldn't be my choice for a custom build

I don't have that particular hardy, but I love the 2 hardy's I have, as with all hardy's it'll last forever, well built and has a classic design but with carbon drag, and looks impressive...that hardy is a bit heavier than the guru which I'd prefer on a steelhead rod

I'd go with the hardy, but regardless of brand, I'd upsize to a 9/10 reel if you're chasing steelhead, not that i think you need 300 yds of backing, but the little extra line pick up helps

what length is the rod? is it a single hand or a switch?

I've had a guru for a few years now, it's light and the drag is smooth and has a wide range...I'm not a huge fan of the drag knob with cold fingers and gloves...personal preference there...the finish has held up with a few scratches, the lettering has completely worn off....there is nothing wrong with the reel overall, it just has a somewhat cheap feeling and look to it (plus the plastic drag housing), wouldn't be my choice for a custom build

I don't have that particular hardy, but I love the 2 hardy's I have, as with all hardy's it'll last forever, well built and has a classic design but with carbon drag, and looks impressive...that hardy is a bit heavier than the guru which I'd prefer on a steelhead rod

I'd go with the hardy, but regardless of brand, I'd upsize to a 9/10 reel if you're chasing steelhead, not that i think you need 300 yds of backing, but the little extra line pick up helps

It's a 9' - 8 weight BFW, single hand. Adequate for most of the small tribs in this area.

Brian I can't wait. I seen some rods when I was at Chris' and they are amazing. I am planning on getting some bass rods done from him soon.

As did I when I was there.Eyes were wondering all over the place.Look at that,look at this one.I think he does it on purpose. EYE CANDY. Very nice work he does. I was very pleased with my float rod he built for me, even took it out last weekend for some salmon. I knew it was a no,no,but it just feels so right in my hands.Wont be doing that again,til the boots are done.SHAME ON ME.LOL

As did I when I was there.Eyes were wondering all over the place.Look at that,look at this one.I think he does it on purpose. EYE CANDY. Very nice work he does. I was very pleased with my float rod he built for me, even took it out last weekend for some salmon. I knew it was a no,no,but it just feels so right in my hands.Wont be doing that again,til the boots are done.SHAME ON ME.LOL

No problems beating chinnys with your trout stick Misfish - just don't over-line it and you will be fine.

My next reel will be a Nautilus NV 10/11 with the G-8 spool , buuut I have to save my pennies . Currently I use a Loop Opti runner on my 8 wt single hand and its been a great reel fairly good line pick up and a smooth drag it handles screaming bonefish and trout . I'm not a fan of loud click reels myself

Edited by Wiser

My next reel will be a Nautilus NV 10/11 with the G-8 spool , buuut I have to save my pennies . Currently I use a Loop Opti runner on my 8 wt single hand and its been a great reel fairly good line pick up and a smooth drag it handles screaming bonefish and trout . I'm not a fan of loud click reels myself

Those are two awesome looking reels. I think if I were tobuy either right now I would be single lol.

Has anyone used a thin large arbour reel and what are your thoughts if so?

I have the Loop Opti speedrunner as well , its 5-1/8" diameter and an 1" wide with lots of porting , but that reel picks up like no other , I use it on my switch rod in the lower niagara ! You do have to be careful not to step on it for sure , I could see it bending but I have had no issues with mine , I think you'll like the Hardy my Dad just got the 9000 I believe, for a switch rod but I haven't had the chance to play with it yet but they are kind of the same idea as the loop I think it will make a great trout reel , I'm not a fan of the Lamson reels though I've never owned one . Annnnd the Hardy will look pretty wicked on that custom without a doubt

Edited by Wiser

BFW the hardy is actually lighter then the Guru. The Guru is like 6.20oz and the hardy is 5.5 or something close.

I like the looks of he hardy but I am not sure about the thin large arbour style to it.

Ah, i missed the dd 7000 part in your post...you're comparing different sized reels, I have the guru 3.5 and it holds 200ish yards of backing

the 7000 is rated for wf8/100m of backing, 4.29" diameter...the guru 3.5 is 3.75 diamater, it's a wider spool that the hardy but IMO the spool diameter is important for line pickup...especially with lighter reels you can upsize the reel and still have a light combo but have a larger diamter for pickup

if you go with the hardy i'd go with the 8000, or the guru 4

Thanks BFW.

I have decided I am going to go with the Hardy. Can't wait tk get out on the water with this combo. Seeing as I am going to have to wait awhile for steelhead I am going to take it out for some pike this weekend.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I appreciate it. Again this forums helps out big time in a tough decision.