Float Reel Advice

vertigo

I'm looking to get into some float fishing but don't want to spend a fortune on a centerpin reel.

What's the best value reel for about $100?

Thanks

Wont be getting any new reels(of any quality) for 100$

Look for a used Okuma Sheffield, good reels for the price, Ive been using one for a few years with no real complaints, Ive used and owned some higher ends reels but for the price there is nothing wrong with the Okumas

You can usually find them for 125-150 and occasionally cheaper...

Might be able to find a used Raven reel for around that price too and they hold there own as well

Okuma for sure... decent reels for a good price.

I've had nothing but awful experiences with Okuma Bill - thought I haven't tried a pin from them.

Bought a very expensive baitcaster that was repaired on warantee once, and replaced completely twice. It never lasted more than 3 days on the water between these failures, complete rubbish.

I've had nothing but awful experiences with Okuma Bill - thought I haven't tried a pin from them.

Bought a very expensive baitcaster that was repaired on warantee once, and replaced completely twice. It never lasted more than 3 days on the water between these failures, complete rubbish.

x 2 on the Okuma baitcasters, have had/and have heard nothing but bad things about them, but their centerpins are a great reel for their price point.

The Raven Matrix is also an affordable pin, but are very heavy compared to something like the Aventa.

I’ve always been an advocate of buying what you can afford...However when it comes to float reels (I guess with anything really), paying a bit extra (even if you have to wait and save up) is usually better.

Back in the day, you could find Leeds float reels for sale at around $115. Haven’t seen any in shops for about 10yrs. They were stamped aluminum reels and were finished pretty badly (in terms of rough edges around the spool.

The Okuma Avanta can be had for around $130. It spins great but I found that when I played around with my friend’s reel, the 8lb mono mainline would often find its way behind the spool and the back plate.

In the $200-$250 range, you can pick up a used Islander. I’ve had mine since the late 90’s with the same original Abec 3 bearings. I’ve dunked it, froze it, accidently had it fall off the rod and tumble down the path to the Whirlpool. I don’t know how many steelhead, browns, salmon and carp I landed with it but its lots. I have never cleaned or lubed the bearings and it still spins great.

Perhaps one other choice for a value conscious angler would be a reel made by Amundson. I haven’t fished one yet but it appears to be a knock-off of the Islander for $175. The anodized finish on the reels I played with at the tackle shop didn’t seem as nice as the Islanders, but the reels felt pretty solid and spun nicely. I’d be pretty interested in hearing if anyone actually fishes one.

Okuma aventa is a good starter float reel. Close to your price . I have it as a back up. Using islander for last 5 years. Tried lots of higher end Ones but still prefer my islander. There is a new float reel in your price range " rapala r type" float reel . I think it was $140 at lebarons. Seems to be ok for the money.

look for a decent used reel. I have owned probably 7 different reels and every single one of them was used except for my first. nothing was wrong with any of them. I just like to switch it up every few years. My first was the cheapest one I could afford and it was probably the worst reel ever made. Line would jam between the spool and backplate, and it would take a mac truck to get the reel to spin.

I've bought float reels as cheap as $50 and it worked great (aurora barrington)

Edited by super dave