Where to buy good pier rod?

Christopheraaron

Hey, last night I was at Bronte and after reading the discussion about rod length affecting casting distance I decided to try my spinning reel on my 9ft 8wt fly rod, and as inefficient as the handle was it still cast a mile with very little effort. Only problem is that it's very hard to cast with a fly rod, so I was wondering where can I get a pier rod, preferably 11 or 12 feet for under $40? I was looking on ebay and they have some but the shipping costs a fortune, I really don't want to spend too much on this because I won't use it as much as something like a bass rod. Also, which little cleos glow? I bought a couple of glow in the dark spoons but they lose all their light after 1 cast. I tried looking for little cleos but they don't mark which ones glow? Thanks for any help. smile.gif

For chucking spoons you don't need to go with something as long as 11-12 ft. If you found an 8'6"-9' MH rod that is rated for up to 8-17 or 8-20 lb line or up to 1oz lure weight at least, you'll be good. I picked up a Pflueger 8'6" MH, 8-20lb rated, at Fishing World for about $40 4-5 years ago, and it's landed a few fish in the 20-25lb range without difficulty on 12lb line. I don't have any trouble getting spoons out far enough. I think Fishing World even has a bunch of these Pflueger rods on sale now.

Also, you should check out some of the bulk or loose sold glow spoons as well. they're a buck or two less then the packaged Cleos, and they can usually hold their glow for at least a few casts. Saw a bunch hanging on the peg board at Burns Fishing in Burl. the other day. Glow with Red dots.

Good luck with the efforts.

$70 Shimano Convergence @ LeBarons.. 10'6... Not the greatest pier rod (aside from a custom build) but for the price you can't beat it.

If you can swing the extra $30 or so the Convergence is a great pier rod. I use the 10' (CVS-L100M-2) but I cut about 4" off the butt end so it doesn't get caught in my jacket.

Burt :)

Peters Tackle at st catherine is famous for long rod, the more number of guide on the rod, the better the rod but will cost more. More guide means less chance of breaking the line during a fight with a fish. I own a 9 ft rod with 11 guides and another 12 ft with only 9 guides.

9-10 ft is the least length you need. Depending on your application, for coarse fishing, noodle rod with 4-8lb rating are sufficient, but if you want to use the rod with lures fishing on moving current of Niagara river, you need a rod with some good back bone 4-12lb line weight is the least you need, some rod like the Shimano convergence takes up to 16 lb.

To be even more specific on the type of fishing you are aiming for, for steelheading, the lighter weight rod, the better you can feel the fight. I find convergence way too heavy for steelheading after comparing it to my other lighter weight rod.

Shimano Convergence used to have a lifetime warranty, not a bad investment for the long term. The longer the rod, the more prone to potential damage during transport, or to fishing on tight spot.

Make sure you are not buying surf rod, they are too heavy and cheaper, not suitable for casting lures on pier. Heavy enough to land a 4 ft shark fishing Miami shore line. I witness some desperate anglers using surf rod on pier with at least 50-75lb mono, they just want to horse the salmon to shore as fast as they can, so the fish taken home for dinner will substantiate the gas they put in.

Hard to find a rod that can do it all or for under CA$40! In US, the price exist!

Edited by bassfighter

$70 Shimano Convergence @ LeBarons.. 10'6... Not the greatest pier rod (aside from a custom build) but for the price you can't beat it.

I've got an ancient 9'6" convergence thats had tons of salmon on it and takes a beating, awesome rod for the money, and now many places are clearing out the old model in the $60-$80 range. I just replaced it with a 10'6" new model convergence. Without spending tons of money these are great casting rods.

Alright, I think I have the rod down for now. But in terms of spoons, I got a bunch of little cleos but they only hold a glow for a cast or two. Last night I saw some guys that had really, really nice ones, they said that they were called pete spoons, anyone know where to buy them?

Look into Moonshine glow spoons as well.

If you can swing the extra $30 or so the Convergence is a great pier rod. I use the 10' (CVS-L100M-2) but I cut about 4" off the butt end so it doesn't get caught in my jacket.

Burt :)

He makes a great point about having to cut the end of the handle off of most pier rods. For some reason 90% of rods over 9ft have this HONKING long handle that is totally friggin useless and it will drive you insane when you are wearing heavier clothing. The problem with cutting off the rod is when you put it in the car if the rod tip end is longer it is more apt to get broken IMO.

There is a solution out there that most rod makers offer if you can find them. Look for a Michigan handle trout/salmon rod. All it is, is a rod where the foregrip is longer than the butt section making it perfect for chucking spoons. Shimano has made them in both the convergence and clarius I believe, but try finding one. Okuma and Quantum also makes them as does Shakespeare in their Agility line.

I believe it was the Quantum one I got for my father and it was 54.00 at Angler outfitters in Woodstock. Although the 5 employees that were working the day I got didn't know what it was they do sell it. When I asked for a Michigan handle rod they were like deer in the headlights, but they had 3 examples when I educated them on what I was looking for and why I wanted it...

Alright, I think I have the rod down for now. But in terms of spoons, I got a bunch of little cleos but they only hold a glow for a cast or two. Last night I saw some guys that had really, really nice ones, they said that they were called pete spoons, anyone know where to buy them?

They are referring to the spoons you get at Peter's Tackle in St. Catherines. Custom made and very popular spoons and pretty cheap too. They do hold the glow a lot longer than cleo's...

Edited by Hooked

To maximize the amout of time your spoons glow grab a uv money checker light at a dollar store. Those cheap uv lights are the cheapest and best light source to make any spoon glow much longer than a camera flash. It must work great because any time I show someone one of mine they wind up going home with it somehow...