No Chart Could Cost YOU $

Fish Farmer

I think this was posted here before . Buddy called me last night and asked if I had heard about some guys being charged for not having a chart of the area he was fishing in the boat. He said they have be checking guys at 50 PT, L. Ont. Were is this rule written? If this is some sort of scam to catch people with their pants down. If this is the case, it should be posted on the front page of the fishing regs. Buddy said if caught, this could be a fight-able case in court. Is this just for the great lakes or any body of water, GPS in boat with dead batteries going to cut-it, just some thoughts. Some say this was written in some recent book regarding the scam boaters card. Back when I took my test, there was no book, just line up and pay your $20.0 at the Sportsman Show. By the time the rule came into affect, my card fell apart.

Bull Granola, I sent Transport Canada Marine a couple of questions a while back, which included the above situation. Again, there are a lot of over zealous enforcement types that couldn't find their a..(donkey) if they were sitting on their hands. Here's the question sent and response from Transport Canada Marine:

3.Question Are nautical charts a legal requirement for a pleasure craft under 6 meters if a person has a reasonably good understanding of the minumum

requirements listed from the paragraph below, an excerpt from Transport Canada Marine website?

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board as long as you know:

the location and type of charted:

shipping routes;

lights, buoys and marks; and

boating hazards; and

the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

Answer: If you are operating a boat that is under 100 gross tones you do not need to carry nautical charts. You may be requested to provide your local knowledge of the waterway by the enforcement officer.

Resonable knowledge might come into question, but then I'd be throwing those questions right back at them. I'm betting most of them could identify donuts easier than other thing on a map/chart.

Bull Granola, I sent Transport Canada Marine a couple of questions a while back, which included the above situation. Again, there are a lot of over zealous enforcement types that couldn't find their a..(donkey) if they were sitting on their hands. Here's the question sent and response from Transport Canada Marine:

3.Question Are nautical charts a legal requirement for a pleasure craft under 6 meters if a person has a reasonably good understanding of the minumum

requirements listed from the paragraph below, an excerpt from Transport Canada Marine website?

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board as long as you know:

the location and type of charted:

shipping routes;

lights, buoys and marks; and

boating hazards; and

the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

Answer: If you are operating a boat that is under 100 gross tones you do not need to carry nautical charts. You may be requested to provide your local knowledge of the waterway by the enforcement officer.

Resonable knowledge might come into question, but then I'd be throwing those questions right back at them. I'm betting most of them could identify donuts easier than other thing on a map/chart.

Thank you very much Fisherman. :good:

Just printed your post and keeping it in my boat. Plus I'll be talking about it at the next Stelco, Dofasco, and Golden Horseshoe club meeting's this month

Goes to show you, if you want to know anything just come to OFC, better than any encyclopedia.

Just thought of something, TJ should issue OFC members OFC cards, we wouldn't need any more Identification, one card does everything, travel the world. (Can't touch me I have a OFC card)

Man I got to get out fishin!!! I need a FIX

Whether you agree with it or not, the local law enforcement agencies handout out literally hundreds of tickets for this on the West end of lake Ontario this year. They simply asked a totally obscure question about the numbers or markings on a nearby marker buoy and if you couldn't answer it, they ticketed you based on your "lack of local knowledge". It makes absoutely no sense but this is what is happening. You can always fight the $200 fine if you wish but it seems that resistance is futile and it's probably not a bad idea to have a chart onboard anyway.

Whether you agree with it or not, the local law enforcement agencies handout out literally hundreds of tickets for this on the West end of lake Ontario this year. They simply asked a totally obscure question about the numbers or markings on a nearby marker buoy and if you couldn't answer it, they ticketed you based on your "lack of local knowledge". It makes absoutely no sense but this is what is happening. You can always fight the $200 fine if you wish but it seems that resistance is futile and it's probably not a bad idea to have a chart onboard anyway.

Looks like I need to buy another Kayak to just carry my safety equipment, any regs on towing a Kayak behind another? (just checking)

I'm already over my legal weight in my Kayak with my fat ass :sarcasm:

That area will never get my business!

So this is what we pay law enforcement officers to do? Maybe they should deal with some real crime!

Just dug this info up:

· Canadian Coast Guard

Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995

The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act require that the master and vessel owners carry the most recent editions of charts, publications and documents updated with the Monthly Edition of Notices to Mariners, published for the area in which the vessel is navigating.

· Charts (can be in electronic form)

· Catalogue of Nautical Charts and Related Publications (published by the Canadian Hydrographic Service)

· Annual edition of the Notices to Mariners (published by the Canadian Coast Guard)

· Sailing Directions (published by the Canadian Hydrographic Service)

· Tide and current tables (published by the Canadian Hydrographic Service)

· Lists of light, buoys and fog signals (published by the Canadian Coast Guard)

If the ship is equipped with radio equipment:

· The Radio Aids to Marine Navigation (published by the Canadian Coast Guard)

and if the ship is making a voyage during which ice may be encountered:

· Ice Navigation in Canadian Waters (published by the Canadian Coast Guard)

This requirement may be waived if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of shipping routes; lights, buoys and marks; and navigational hazards, as well as prevailing navigational conditions and weather patterns.

Canadian nautical charts and some publications are available from over 700 authorized Canadian Hydrographic Service Chart Dealers located across the country and internationally.

Charts & Nautical Publications Regulations

The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations require pleasure craft operators to have on board at all times the latest, large scale charts, required publications and required documents related to the boat and the waters in which it is operating.

The only exemption is where the operator has local knowledge of the water in which they are operating. This is a subjective issue. It is important to always have the necessary publications on board.

Nautical charts are graphic representations of water, depths, underwater hazards, traffic routes, aids to navigation and the shoreline. They are intended for use by mariners and are published by the Hydrographic Service, Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Nautical Charts include a Compass Rose that identifies True North. Chart plotting and compass work are not part of this course. But, operators must be aware that with a chart and a magnetic compass on board their boat they can determine in which direction they need to proceed to arrive at their destination.

Magnetic compasses point to magnetic north. It is important to mount the magnetic compass away from metallic objects and electrical devices that could cause a false reading.

Always carry the latest charts and update them regularly through the Notices to Mariners.

Aids to navigation move and are changed and other important features may change from one season to the next. Updated charts help ensure operators can locate their position in an emergency.

Topographical Maps are maps of land areas depicting natural and artificial features of the land, including elevation contours, shoreline, rocks, land features above water and cultural features. They are designed to be used on land and depict geological features. Published by the Department of Natural Resources and provincial authorities, they should not be used as charts.

The only exception is in places where there are no charts and then they must be used cautiously for direction only.

Topographical maps do not depict underwater hazards, marine aids to navigation, channels and anchorage areas.

Charts and Other Publications

The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995, require you to carry the most recent editions of charts, publications and documents published for your area of operation unless the person in charge of navigation has enough knowledge of shipping routes, lights, buoys and marks, navigational hazards as well as normal navigational conditions and weather patterns to ensure safe navigation.

If you are required to carry charts, you must also carry the tools you need to accurately determine the vessel's position and at least one pair of binoculars. Keep your charts up to date by subscribing to the Notices to Mariners (www.notmar.gc.ca/). For tips on both reading and updating nautical charts, go to www.chs-shc.gc.ca/about-apropos/index-eng.asp