Outboard trouble

Dave Bailey

It's been at least a year, perhaps two (I'm not going to wake up the father-in-law right now to ask), since this thing was fired up, but he assured me that there was fuel stabiliser in it. Got it set up on the Zodiac, tugged the cord, no start. No problem, it's been a while. Second tug, turned over and purred like a kitten, nice, off we go. Got halfway across Restoule Lake and it starts dying, rpm drops off and it almost stops. Check bulb, nice and firm. Confirm vent is open, yep, check fuel line, no kinks. In desperation I pulled the primer knob, and it runs a lot smoother, and at a higher rpm than with it in. Run it for a while like that, push the knob in, starts running rough again. Out with the primer, smooth again. But after a while it starts running rough with the knob out. Push it in, rpm drops and motor stalls. Hell of a time getting it started again (flooded?), almost ready to start flagging down a passerby for a tow. Finally got it going and decided that it's better to just head back to the camp and not risk getting stuck. Next day tried it again, same thing.

Thus endeth the experiment. Time to build a sawhorse to put it on so that I can tear it apart over the winter and try to figure out what's wrong. I'm no mechanic, but how hard can it be? (waits for the screams of everyone saying "A LOT HARDER THAN YOU THINK!")

Edited by Dave Bailey

Running better with choke pulled, which restricts the air the engine is getting, is a good sign of water in the fuel. Less air... to go with the "less" gasoline that is in the mix = a correct fuel/air mixture. It will run like that until the carb is completely full of water and then die completely. Fixed 3 of those this summer for neighbours (and Leah's 25 Honda as well)! Push the check ball in and squeeze some fuel out into a jar... I bet it has water in it. BTW... a 60 ouncer makes a good fuel water seperator to get your valuable fuel back. Funnel it in... let it sit for a couple minutes and then pour out slowly.. the water will get left behind in the shoulder of the bottle.

Edited by irishfield

Push the check ball in and squeeze some fuel out into a jar... I bet it has water in it. BTW... a 60 ouncer makes a good fuel water seperator to get your valuable fuel back. Funnel it in... let it sit for a couple minutes and then pour out slowly.. the water will get left behind in the shoulder of the bottle.

Thanks, but I have no idea what a 'check ball' is. Is it possible that after letting the tank sit in on position, probably on end, for a while, I could just siphon off what's on the bottom and clear it that way?

It's hard to see it in the tank... but if you can position the tank with a corner down and see that area it could be done, but remember the hose and priming bulb is gonna have a watery mix in it still...so you need to flush the line. If you look at the end of the hose where it attaches to the motor.. you'll see the shiny ball I"m referring to. If the motor has a filter/seperator it needs to be flushed as well... as does the carb bowl needs to be drained if applicable.

It's hard to see it in the tank... but if you can position the tank with a corner down and see that area it could be done, but remember the hose and priming bulb is gonna have a watery mix in it still...so you need to flush the line. If you look at the end of the hose where it attaches to the motor.. you'll see the shiny ball I"m referring to. If the motor has a filter/seperator it needs to be flushed as well... as does the carb bowl needs to be drained if applicable.

Gotcha. I'll see if there's some sort of maintenance manual on-line, knowing my in-laws the original was probably thrown out within minutes of the motor's purchase. :wallbash:

Could also be some crap in your carb blockin fuel. 2 year old gas, and sitting dry for that long is a good reason for a carb clean, and new fuel. I'd dump the old stuff in your truck, and start fresh with some seafoam to clean the fuel system out.

S.

Forgot to mention; the throttle linkage may need some work too. At times when I was moving it with the motor off it seemed like it had only two settings. Can't see it missing neutral, so I don't know if it was only finding neutral and forward or neutral and reverse. Didn't run into that problem while it was running.

Running better with choke pulled, which restricts the air the engine is getting, is a good sign of water in the fuel. Less air... to go with the "less" gasoline that is in the mix = a correct fuel/air mixture. It will run like that until the carb is completely full of water and then die completely. Fixed 3 of those this summer for neighbours (and Leah's 25 Honda as well)! Push the check ball in and squeeze some fuel out into a jar... I bet it has water in it. BTW... a 60 ouncer makes a good fuel water seperator to get your valuable fuel back. Funnel it in... let it sit for a couple minutes and then pour out slowly.. the water will get left behind in the shoulder of the bottle.

Now Wayne,

If one does not have an empty 60 ouncer......and has to create one from a full or partially full bottle.....there is a good chance that we will never get to the point of rectifying this situation....at least not any time soon!lol :whistling:

I do like your thinking though!

My Merc had something in the carb that took about 5 cleanings to finally get rid of. In some cases the supply tubing to the carb was fouled so bad no gas would go thru. It's the sitting for 2 years that brings in a lot of different variables.

If water in the gas is not the problem, then I'd be giving the carb a cleaning.

Try seafoam first. If that doesn't work, educated your self on the itnernal workings of a carb, and have fun.

Lots of good stuff on line for how to clean a carb.

Friend had the exact same problem as you are having. Found out it was the inside lining of the gas line had collapsed or rotted; leaving a very small passage for the gas to flow. Blamed it on ethanol sitting in the gas line all winter(s).

Try switching gas line first before investigating carb. Add Shell V-Power gas (no ethanol) to tank with a good dose of Seafoam. Worked for him.

I'll try the line, don't know if there's any way of checking it before getting a new one. But I talked to Father-in-law the other night and he says it's been 3 years since it was last fired up, so that opens up more possibilities for trouble. But hey, it was free! :D