Considering a new ATV

captpierre

Hi Guys. Been snooping around for 1 or 2 ATVs for the family cottage for a while now.

Talked to many folks and scoured the internet.

We are not big people and I don't need a large machine. I need reliable more than anything.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Honda TRX 420 PG CTE, or the Yamaha Grizzly 550.

Both are fuel injected, have 4 wheel independent suspension and have power steering.

Tried to find used but (holy crap) they hold their value well.

Honda has the above machine on sale now- $7K plus PDI and tax. Want to poke around the

cottage and hit the Haliburton trail system eventually,

I'm tempted.

Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks, Peter

Edited by captpierre

Either of those machines would be a good choice. They hold their value well for a reason. I'd be leaning towards the Yamaha but the Honda seems like a really good deal at $7G.

I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying "too big" a quad...although I have heard people say they wished they'd gone ahead and bought a bigger one. You'll probably use it for doing work around the cottage and the extra power comes in handy.

Have fun.

I've got a 2010 yamaha kodiak 450 - it has the independent rear suspension, but doesn't have power steering. I'm very happy with it. I use it year-round - trail riding, hunting, ice fishing. I chose the kodiak 450 for several reasons:

• the kodiak 450 is relatively short and narrow compared to some of the other manufacturer's ATV's. Our trails are pretty tight, so a smaller bike makes it easier to get through some of the narrow spots.
  • I've got an extended cab GMC and the kodiak 450 will fit into the bed of my truck with the tail gate closed. Because it is relatively narrow, I can put a couple 5 gallon gas cans in beside the front wheels (one on each side).
  • Push button 4WD, and locking differential.
  • My dad has a 2003 that has been bullet-proof and every else that I have talked to have been happy with their Yamaha Kodiak.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. By the way, I bought new. I looked around, but you're right - they really retain their value. I bought mine last summer as a new, non-current model and paid $6500 for mine (plus taxes, etc.). My buddy got the power steering model for $5995 about this time last year. I also bought the extended warranty - not sure I would the next time, especially if you have a chance to use it a lot during the standard 6 month warranty period.

Good luck!

A little perspective on power...

A few years ago I rented a Kodiak 400 on Cougar Mtn in BC. I was over 300lbs and pushed that governed quad pretty hard through some very technical slow rocky climbs. I would have benefited from opening up the governor but I never had to get off the bike. Speed certainly wasn't lacking. I'd estimate 80-90 km/h along a logging road with a 1000' drop... I never did get it wide open.

When I returned home I began shopping shopping for a Grizzly 600. At that time, it was THE bike to have. I didn't end up purchasing it because it occurred to me that I really had nowhere to enjoy it!

I think you'll do fine with either bike but my preference would be the Yamaha.

Dscf0012.jpg

My father in law had a yamaha grizzly 600 or 650, don't remember which, it went through everything. It was a lot of fun on the old mining and logging roads near Kenora. He ran it for a few years with NO maintenance (his choice, not mine) and didn't have any problems at all. He's the kind of guy that'll run it to death and put it away soaking wet. They can take a lot of abuse.

Alot of people like Yamahas but me I am a Honda guy. The main reason for this is the shaft drive as compared to belt drive by all the other brands. The Honda's shaft will never slip in extreme wet conditions but the Yamaha's belt will slip if it gets wet. I agree they do not let water in much but when they do the belt will slip. I have seen the Grizzly go through some pretty nasty stuff though. Just my 2 cents to help with the indecision. Honda is where my name originated when I had a Canadian Trail Edition in red.

Edited by ctered

Either of those machines would be a good choice. They hold their value well for a reason. I'd be leaning towards the Yamaha but the Honda seems like a really good deal at $7G.

I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying "too big" a quad...although I have heard people say they wished they'd gone ahead and bought a bigger one. You'll probably use it for doing work around the cottage and the extra power comes in handy.

Have fun.

some of the Haliburton stuff is tight, and rough (if you want to get into back lakes)

a too big ATV is a reality

I've heard from quite a few people, the smaller 4wd, fourstrokes (350 cc range) are prefered rather than the big 750's etc

I need reliable more than anything.

You won't be unhappy with the quads you're considering. If reliability is really important, you should be considering Suzuki. For the use you describe, I'd suggest KingQuad 450Axi. Be sure that whatever one you choose has independent rear suspension. Especially if you're looking at used ones. Almost 100% of the new ones have gone to IRS.

some of the Haliburton stuff is tight, and rough (if you want to get into back lakes)

I've heard from quite a few people, the smaller 4wd, fourstrokes (350 cc range) are prefered rather than the big 750's etc

X'2 ON THE GOOD ADVICE GIVEN HERE ..... plus i for one like running with the folks who invented the ATV ..... ( SUZUKI ) .

Edited by Skipper " D "

X'2 ON THE GOOD ADVICE GIVEN HERE ..... plus i for one like running with the folks who invented the ATV ..... ( SUZUKI ) .

Well, Honda actually got the ball rolling in the 70's. The early Suzuki 4-wheeler was actually dubbed a beginners ATV... others may consider it the ATV you are less likely to die on LOL.

I'm not a Honda fan but they were the pioneers and I'm sure everybody remembers the "Big Red" and "Odyssey"

it all depends on which brand and model. my grizzly 700 is a few inches narrower and 150 lbs lighter than my buddies polaris 700 while it's only 3" wider and 17lbs heavier than the kodiak 450. realistically, a 3" difference between the grizzly 700 and kodiak 450 means nothing on the trail 99.99% of the time.

while smaller motors will do what most people want, the larger motors really come in handy for getting heavy muddin tires to spin in peanut butter style mud where the less powerful machines will bog down. it's also much, much nicer having the power there when you're towing a heavy load and/or have a passenger on the back. with a bigger motor you'll always have the power there if you need it.

as for power steering, the only ones that will tell you it's not worth it are those that haven't tried it. i'll never own an atv without EPS as it allows you to navigate through holes in 4x4 one handed with ease and really cuts down on rider fatigue.

to the OP...the grizzly 550 and 700 are the exact same machine (exact dimensions, interchangeable parts) except for the less powerful motor in the 550. for the couple bucks extra it'll cost, you might as well go with the 700 size motor if you choose yamaha.

Well, Honda actually got the ball rolling in the 70's. The early Suzuki 4-wheeler was actually dubbed a beginners ATV... others may consider it the ATV you are less likely to die on LOL.

I'm not a Honda fan but they were the pioneers and I'm sure everybody remembers the "Big Red" and "Odyssey"

I sure do remember SlowPoke , my first new ride for dirt was a Honda 70 , then came along the Suzuki three wheelers and they were blowing us off the trails , after that i switched over to having two of those instead , then i for one was never so happy to see them put four wheels on'em , if they had'nt i don't think there would be any thing left of me for my retirement , thease days i have a 400 Suzuki that i bought new in 06 that dose me well , even still when it hit's the trails at Bancroft with the boys , but now my real love is for an Articat Prowler for the side be side .

it all depends on which brand and model. my grizzly 700 is a few inches narrower and 150 lbs lighter than my buddies polaris 700 while it's only 3" wider and 17lbs heavier than the kodiak 450. realistically, a 3" difference between the grizzly 700 and kodiak 450 means nothing on the trail 99.99% of the time.

while smaller motors will do what most people want, the larger motors really come in handy for getting heavy muddin tires to spin in peanut butter style mud where the less powerful machines will bog down. it's also much, much nicer having the power there when you're towing a heavy load and/or have a passenger on the back. with a bigger motor you'll always have the power there if you need it.

as for power steering, the only ones that will tell you it's not worth it are those that haven't tried it. i'll never own an atv without EPS as it allows you to navigate through holes in 4x4 one handed with ease and really cuts down on rider fatigue.

to the OP...the grizzly 550 and 700 are the exact same machine (exact dimensions, interchangeable parts) except for the less powerful motor in the 550. for the couple bucks extra it'll cost, you might as well go with the 700 size motor if you choose yamaha.

typically, weight and width increase with engine displacement (yeah, it's a generalization that's not always true, but a general guideline)

also, I prefer to climb a rocky, technical, steep hill with loose rocks and narrow spots with a 300 4WD, the big bores spin tires and buck like a horse (just my opinion)

some of the association trails can be done in a golf cart, but there's lots of tight bush trails in Haliburton too.

Edited by chris.brock

When my wife and i were on our honeymoon at a Algonquin park resort we rented two Can-Am Outlander 500's.

This was the perfect size and easy to navigate and have fun with great machine smooth had a Digital dash. We

Took them in the depths of the Algonquin and found some landlocked lakes no other way to get to these spots

other than air or and atv .....

Give it a look here

When my wife and i were on our honeymoon at a Algonquin park resort we rented two Can-Am Outlander 500's.

This was the perfect size and easy to navigate and have fun with great machine smooth had a Digital dash. We

Took them in the depths of the Algonquin and found some landlocked lakes no other way to get to these spots

other than air or and atv .....

Give it a look here

I'm a big fan of the Can am's.. I have a 2003 400 cc and it's been a great machine.. My second choice would be a Yamaha..... The grizzly is not outstanding at any one thing, but very good at everything

I used to be a die hard Honda guy, but the 2004 unit I was looking at had much the same technology as my 1986 model TRX250... And their new fancy transmissions are a headache when sensors mess up and it's stuck in neutral.

Give it a look here

I'm a big fan of the Can am's.. I have a 2003 400 cc and it's been a great machine..

I too think the Canams are at the top of the heap. I have 2 - 2010's; a 500 and a 650. Both are Outlander Max mdels, meaning they have proper seats for a passenger but they are more complex and more expensive than the competition. I think they're worth it for more power and a better ride, but many riders prefer units that are simpler to maintain.

talked to a number of avid ATV guys -they say fuel injection is a huge asset

I agree that Fuel injection is very nice, but it's like any technical advance. There are some good benefits but it adds cost, is more dificult to troubleshoot and service. Mileage improves, and cold-starting is really nice, but A well tuned carb is A-OK too. If I found a quad that was great for me in every other respect, but had no EFI, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Having Independent rear suspension is more important.