First slime in a month...

Fisherpete

It had been almost a year since Greg and I flogged water together in search of muskies, and the stars finally aligned just right for an outing. With ideal weather in the forecast, we set out nice and early, and got on the water around 6:30am. Today's game plan was to fish all the usual honey holes, and wacky worm boat docks for bass in-between. As it turns out, this plan worked out beautifully!

We started out casting in a weedy bay, and I tested out my two new muskie combos. The first is an Abu 7000i paired with a 9' XH Shimano Compre - this is to be my double 10 rod. I have to say, it feels a bit like wielding a battle axe - it's big and heavy, but the Abu casts suprisingly well, and cranks in those 10's nicely. The 9' length and split grip on the Compre is great for doing figure 8's. I may soon end up with forearms like popeye from casting it, but such is life on the quest to the 50 :) The second combo is a Shimano Curado 300 EJ paired up with a 7'6" XH Compre. Simply put, this combo is friggen awesome! In the past few years, I have gotten used to casting big round reels, and the Curado's low profile just feels so sleek and light in my hand. It comes with a 6.9 gear ratio, and a power handle along with plenty of drag power - this is to be my fast retrieve and smaller bait combo. I love casting it, and could do so all day. We casted for half an hour or so with no hits, so stared fishing some docks for bass.

Wacky fishing senkos was the weapon of choice for the docks - and it immediately started producing fish. Every few docks would give up a bass, mostly 1 to 2 pounders, with the odd 3 thrown in there. They all seemed to fight really well in the cooler (70F) water on this morning! We finished a good stretch of docks, and moved to another. As we approched the first dock in this section, I noticed nice cabbage weeds growing all over out from the end of this dock, coupled with relatively deeper water compared to most other shorelines. I flipped my senko towards the back of a pontoon boat, twitched it for a moment, nothing. I reeled it in to make another cast, and as I lifted the worm out of the water, an enraged muskie launched itself at the mid-air worm, thrashing and snapping it's jaws! But it missed... but man did that ever get the adrenaline pumping! As we used the electric to move to the next dock, I made a few follow up casts with a spinnerbait, and on the fourth cast, right thru the previously mentioned cabbage bed, she smashed it. Within seconds, she again took to the air with a fantastic leap. She was very strong, and fought the whole time until we cradled her. Here's the result...

DSCF0923.jpg

DSCF0925.jpg

A father and young son happened to be nearby on shore, and the kid's jaw hit the ground with a chorus of WHOAOHHHHHH!!! when he saw what got lifted out of the cradle! Swimming plans - now cancelled lol!

We did one more dock, then returned to muskie hunting. Casting another small bay did not produce, neither did the next hour of trolling weedlines. Back to the docks - and once again, the bass came out to play, including three nice smallmouths all between 2 and 3 pounds. We had just released a bass, when we saw a guy fishing from a kayak get into a good fish. His rod was doubled over, and then we saw a nice muskie take to the air! We watched him for a moment, and as the fish pulled him and his kayak down the lake, Greg and I looked at each other and said "Should we go help?". A moment or two later, Mr. Kayak had not made any progress, so we headed over, both for the safety of the angler and the muskie. As we approached and asked him if he wanted help, he shrieked "YESSSS!!!!" As we pulled up beside his kayak, we saw that he was obviously outmatched - no net, and he was fishing with a kids spincast outfit! The musky was still making mad runs, and the drag on his reel squealed like a stuck pig each time... Greg told him to just let the fish take drag... he responded "I don't know what DRAG IS!" The three of us, with a lot of luck (read : skill), finally managed to coax the ski into the cradle. He had been jigging for whatever would bite with a small green tube, maybe 2" long on a normal hook, with a tiny panfish sized treble hook trailer attached to it. No leader, maybe 10 pound or so mono. The treble hook was totally mangled, all 3 hooks straightened out, and the main hook snapped in two just as we cradled the fish, which was a 40"! How this fish was ever landed is a minor miracle. His hands were shaking (his name was also Greg), and we asked him if he would like a pic with his catch, to which he happily replied yes... I handed him my pair of Lindy fish handler gloves, so he would not get bit, but Fishgreg brilliantly deduced that it would be a far safer idea for me to hold the fish for him. I did so, and we got two nice shots for him on his camera. Despite the long battle, the fish immediately took off like a rocket, and Greg paddled home a happy (lucky) camper with a great story to tell (and even better pics to prove it)!

We headed back and finished our dock run with a few more fish, and since the bass were so on, decided to fish some slop for a bit with frogs. This did not produce, so back to musky fishing it was. An hour of casting, then two of trolling - nothing. So back to another stretch of docks, one I have never fished before, and once again, the bass co-operated. It was almost time to go, as Greg had a dinner to get to, but on the way back the wind had started to pick up, and with the change of conditions, we stopped at that first bay that we had started our day at. 15 or 20 casts in, I got a hard hit, and once again, a nice musky launched itself skyward! The Curado/Compre combo had been baptized... and performed outstandingly well during another great fight. Here she is:

DSCF09281.jpg

Dinner plans now postponed (lmao Greg!), we headed back to a few of my casting hotspots and kept at it... but on the horizon, lightening started to crash down, and the wind continued to pick up - thunderstorm on the way. Greg and I have been caught before in a few bad ones, so we made the right choice this time and headed in. Just as we closed the trunk after packing up the gear, the wind started howling pretty good and the rain started. Good choice. It had already been a great day, and there was plenty of bass-tastic action between the two (and a half, we earned the assist) muskies. Greg - it was great to get out with you again!

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

I won one of those shirts from the Mississauga chapter prize table last night. I'll probably wear it tomorrow and try to get some musky slime on it.

I would also like to add that despite the fact that I did not catch a musky, I caught many more bass than Pete. In my mind it takes luck to catch a ski, but skill to catch a bass. :sarcasm:

Edited by fishgreg

I could see how someone not used to catching pike or muskie from a kayak might be overwhelmed, good job on helping.

There's two guys from Ottawa, brothers that catch more musky than anyone else I see. Quite a few 48-52" anually. They do it all from kayaks and have been for some time.

Wasn't the musky world championship won by a guy in a kayak last year?

Just givin ya a hard time Pete about beatin down the yak nation. :)

Nice fishin btw.

Zing! John - Greg tried his best to knock my second ski off with the cradle, but my superior hook setting skills made that an impossibility lmao!

I think I was just trying to return to favour for the 3lb largie that you broke off at boatside....za za za zing.

I could see how someone not used to catching pike or muskie from a kayak might be overwhelmed, good job on helping.

There's two guys from Ottawa, brothers that catch more musky than anyone else I see. Quite a few 48-52" anually. They do it all from kayaks and have been for some time.

Wasn't the musky world championship won by a guy in a kayak last year?

Just givin ya a hard time Pete about beatin down the yak nation. :)

Nice fishin btw.

We actually laid off a bit, as our instincts were to go straight over. But when we showed up the guy looked like he was in a state of shock. He said that we had lures in the boat that were larger than any fish he had caught previously.