Selective Harvest

Rich

Is there any way to teach the masses "selective harvest"?

Keeping the largest perch, crappies or bluegills you catch is the obvious preferred choice, and understandably. These fish are essentially baitfish and would be difficult to eradicate with sportfishing practices. However, i still just dont get the ignorance/stupidity of people dragging home stringers of big bass, pike or other predatory fish. Like, why? Those fish are unhealthy to be consumed as they are old and have soaked up years of pollutants. They dont taste as good, i dont care what anyone says as i tested the theory as a youngster. Largemouth bass in the 12-14" range are among my favorites to eat. 16" and up, i wouldn't even wanna smell that cooked driftwood. Night/day taste difference, even fried.

Still, i fish a lotta little lakes and rivers, and see way too many important, large, breeding fiah go home in buckets or stringers. I often try to inform the people of the polluted fish they are keeping, but most go into this old school, defensive "its my legal right" rant and just can't be reasoned with. Seriously, the bucket your fish is in is the reason your prize is so damn rare!

Thats my rant of the day. Tried to keep it non-biased and civil. Please do the same.

Well said. I think that the problem is due to the fact that most people do not know nor care about what you just spoke about. They don't know how long it takes a 40 inch pike to grow to that size and how much better a fish half its size would taste. I think lack of education about the eco system of fish is the problem in most cases. If they are aware of the way it works then it comes down to just plain ignorance. The way things are going now I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 50 years our fisheries are nearly extinct.

The way things are going now I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 50 years our fisheries are nearly extinct.

Wonder what was said 50+ years ago?

Rich,well said.

I have not kept,or eaten, a fresh water fish in about 9 years. I am enjoying the sport of, FISHING.. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Misfish

when the perch are full of eggs I throw back the monsters and keep the mid size perch

I just can't bring myself to kill that many babies.. and I catch my limit but limit my keep...I never keep more then I can eat, no fish go in my freezer

but what others do with in the limits of the law is not for me to comment on.....

Well said. I think that the problem is due to the fact that most people do not know nor care about what you just spoke about. They don't know how long it takes a 40 inch pike to grow to that size and how much better a fish half its size would taste. I think lack of education about the eco system of fish is the problem in most cases. If they are aware of the way it works then it comes down to just plain ignorance. The way things are going now I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 50 years our fisheries are nearly extinct.

Don't say that,most all of my fishing buddies c&a. The odd one might take one or two home once in a while.On that note seeing that trend,our fish stock should see a rise?. Years ago remembering my grandparents,every time out,lots of fish came home. That was the way than. I like the lower and hopefully even lower limits of fish per person. Who needs 50 perch per person a day as a example?. Slot size,great idea!!

Edited by davey buoy

I think a slot limit seems like a viable solution in most situations, provided it were abided and enforced. It would seem to be the best way of keeping the breeding/large genetic fish in a waterbody. And manage the smaller fish from overpopulation which is actually a main problem on most fisheries. Too many small fish.

Edited by Rich

I think a slot limit seems like a viable solution in most situations, provided it were abided and enforced. It would seem to be the best way of keeping the breeding/large genetic fish in a waterbody. And manage the smaller fish from overpopulation which is actually a main problem on most fisheries. Too many small fish.

Are you suggesting slot limits on perch and crappie and blue gills? Rich, that would be hard to enforce. We don,t have enough resources to make sure this is up held. :wallbash:

These days,the saying,honesty is the best policy,comes to mind. To much ignorance out there.

Edited by Misfish

Don't say that,most all of my fishing buddies c&a. The odd one might take one or two home once in a while.On that note seeing that trend,our fish stock should see a rise?. Years ago remembering my grandparents,every time out,lots of fish came home. That was the way than. I like the lower and hopefully even lower limits of fish per person. Who needs 50 perch per person a day as a example?. Slot size,great idea!!

I should of worded it differently. I mean "most people that are over harvesting". Not most people in general.

The baitfish can be harvested and sustained with regular catch limits. I've seen no negative impact of the current limits on the perch or bluegill populations where I fish. Crappies, perhaps, i feel a lower limit would also be best. For predatory fish, genetics are of much higher importance, as much fewer fish, even in prime conditions, make it to the "trophy" or even above average size range.

The baitfish can be harvested and sustained with regular catch limits. I've seen no negative impact of the current limits on the perch or bluegill populations where I fish. Crappies, perhaps, i feel a lower limit would also be best. For predatory fish, genetics are of much higher importance, as much fewer fish, even in prime conditions, make it to the "trophy" or even above average size range.

I removed this video because i believe there was foul language and/or profanity. My laptop speakers do not work, so very sorry if i offended anyoneblush.gif

Edited by mercman

Well said...here is a prime example.A member of a local facebook fishing group that i am a member of. Targeting Musky this week, no net, no tools. A 56 inch beauty dead and justified as a trophy.wallbash.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_J6M1sDw

What a shame this still goes on!!!,it just "has" to get better with the new way of thinking:canadian:

Well said...here is a prime example.A member of a local facebook fishing group that i am a member of. Targeting Musky this week, no net, no tools. A 56 inch beauty dead and justified as a trophy.wallbash.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_J6M1sDw

I watched the first 30 seconds and then decided "why the heck do I want to see this?" wallbash.gifmad.gifsad.gif

but if it a legal fish does he not have every right

and if it legal who am I to put him down for fishing within the law

in many European countries it is against the law to release a fish, they say it is one thing to kill a fish for food, but to abuse a fish for the fun of catching catching it is cruel and you are charged with animal abuse...

so if people are fishing within the law do not try to impose your opinion on them...

try to change the law and leave the legal fishermen alone...

What a shame this still goes on!!!,it just "has" to get better with the new way of thinking:canadian:

I confronted him about it, and he said it was his right,mellow.gif to keep it as a trophywallbash.gif The thing probably rotted before he could get it to a taxidermist.

I cant see the attitude changeing anytime soon.At least not in our big urban environments.dunno.gif

but if it a legal fish does he not have every right

and if it legal who am I to put him down for fishing within the law

in many European countries it is against the law to release a fish, they say it is one thing to kill a fish for food, but to abuse a fish for the fun of catching catching it is cruel and you are charged with animal abuse...

so if people are fishing within the law do not try to impose your opinion on them...

try to change the law and leave the legal fishermen alone...

There,s a limit to everything. It,s just how far, do we want to carry it? Save for the future,or take all we can get now, and to hell the rest. :dunno:

Ya I,m going to say it,WHITE BUCKET FISHERS. It,s not only the crappie,AS MANY HERE KNOW.

Sure it is. But we're not supposed to discuss it because it's an awkward and difficult topic. So we're just expected to look away and ignore it.

Edited by timmeh

yeah but as I say go after the law, get them to change it and leave the fishermen alone..if the law is changed to stop someone from killing a 54" muskie then we can insult anyone killing them, but if caught with in the law it is none of our business what he does with it

yeah but as I say go after the law, get them to change it and leave the fishermen alone..if the law is changed to stop someone from killing a 54" muskie then we can insult anyone killing them, but if caught with in the law it is none of our business what he does with it

We need to get out and fish. :jerry::jerry:

I hear what yer saying.(we have had enough talks about this) LOL

With in the law,they break no law.But, let education,not the law, change their ways,thought,of our fishery. :good:

Was typing as you posted Spiel. :P

Edited by Misfish

Ya it's his right, but that does not mean that we shouldn't be able to confront people who do that and try to re-educate them.

Confront?

Re-educate?

The word aggressive comes to my mind. In his, he did nothing wrong and confronting/re-educating him could lead to whole new level of confrontation.

Just sayin.

So provincial/national law takes precedent over everything? I disagree strongly, and believe I have every right to be critical of someone who is my eyes is harming fisheries unnecessarily. And yes, I understand the very act of fishing is essentially doing no good to our natural ecosystems, but unnecessarily killing trophy fish for meat, is in most cases a simple case of ignorance, so why not attempt to educate them?