Newbie to Salmon Fishing

Matty

Hey guys,

I am going to head out on Lake Ontario for the 1st time (in my boat) tomorrow evening (weather/wind permitting). I live in Brooklin (Whitby) but am probably going to launch out of Frenchmans Bay. No down riggers yet, just dipsy's. Any tips, suggestions, helpful tid bits you could provide would be appreciated. I am more going out to get my bearings and if I hook into one, that is just an added bonus! I want my first time out to be when there is daylight and I will do the early morng fish once I feel comfortable.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Better fish crack of dawn.

I would use the largest dypsie you have.

Most guys use braid or wire. but it back 200-250 ft. (should have a line counter reel)

Use a spoon, flasher and spoon, spin doctor and fly, or flasher and meat.

Watch where others fish if you don't know where to fish.

If you mark a ball of baitfish, circle back again and go thru it again.

Most of all, if you go, especially in the evening, take a good look at local weather. especially windspeed and direction.

Less than 20km/hr from the north, NW or NE. Less than 10-15km/hr from south, SW, SE or south

Lake Ontario doesn't care if you drown.

Better fish crack of dawn.

I would use the largest dypsie you have.

Most guys use braid or wire. but it back 200-250 ft. (should have a line counter reel)

Use a spoon, flasher and spoon, spin doctor and fly, or flasher and meat.

Watch where others fish if you don't know where to fish.

If you mark a ball of baitfish, circle back again and go thru it again.

Most of all, if you go, especially in the evening, take a good look at local weather. especially windspeed and direction.

Less than 20km/hr from the north, NW or NE. Less than 10-15km/hr from south, SW, SE or south

Lake Ontario doesn't care if you drown.

That's great advise!!,With Lake O it's the winds from the southerly direction that do the most harm.

Thanks for the help. I have 4 dipsy rods, 2 magnum dipsys and 2 #1s. Should I pick up 2 more magnums?

It's suppose to be a calm evening tomorrow, but I will of course keep an eye on it. I'm not too proud of a guy to call it quits if it's going to blow up!

Thanks again!

Well, 3rd time was a charm! Thanks to everyone for your help on getting started. Fished for 8 hours on Sunday with very poor results and a very long day. But, went out on Monday evening and went 6 for 10!! Almost everything on spoons. Here is a couple pictures of my buddy (and my son) with the 2 largest!

Why didnt anyone tell me salmon fishing was this much fun ;-)

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg