Best ethonol additive?

mike rousseau

I use Shell 91 as it seems to work well for me. I'm not sure if it still contains no ethanol (see the sticker only at some stations).

btw Stabil additives (Red and marine) are on sale at CT this week. I use the marine throughout the year and the red over winter.

:Gonefishing:

Edited by Spooled

My friend and I both have 2hp Yamahas. Last year,for the first time ever since using these motors (1993) we ran into carbon problems and gummed up spark plugs that forced us to take the plugs out and clean them - they would foul up again within 20 minutes of running the motors. We bought new plugs and this spring, the same thing.

The lodge owner told us to try some of his AMSOIL additive. It worked. Actually, the motors never ran better. I'll be using them again this fall -we'll be using the same additive or buying premium gas.

WR

Buy shell V-power fuel. NO ETHANOL. Problem solved.

Its all I use in my 2 strokes.

I also run seafoam in every tank, and a full can in 25 liters once a year to clean everything out good.

I have a '93 40hp tiller that gets used 9 months of the year, at least twice a week, or more.

Only fuel related problem I've had was a bad fuel line. It was the original line, and I replaced it last summer for the first time.

S.

Was just at Canadian Tire looking around the additives section and saw some new stuff (to me at least).

As well as the usual Sta-Bil and Sea Foam products, they also had Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment. Kinda looked like really weak beer but it's on sale for $6.29 till tomorrow. There was also something called CRC PhaseGuard 4 with Bob Izumi's mug on the bottle endorsing it. Pricey at $16.99

Does anyone have experience with either the Sta-Bil Ethanol or CRC Phase stuff ? Was thinking of Sea Foaming my motor this winter but curious about these two additives as well.

I've been using Marine Sta-Bil during boating season and regular red Sta-Bil for winter storage.

tia

Edited by woodenboater

I use Marine Stabil in my 75 Yamaha, wipper snipper, chain saw, 50 Merc big foot, lawnmowers....everything and have never ever had an issue. Everything runs smooth and clean and starts up in the spring like I turned it off the day before. It keeps the gas fresh and your engine water free and your engines and carbs clean.

All you need for your engines in my opinion.

I had a 40 hp Mercury 4 stroke that had vapor lock problems on hot days. A little research showed this to be a problem that occurred due to ethanol in the gasoline. I no longer have the engine but burn nothing but ethanol free premium (or add Seafoam if I fill up at a marina) in my Mercury 115 after that experience.