Not a Bad Outing

Garfisher

So I decided this evening to try a spot on the Scugog River that I hadn't fished yet this summer for some bass (some nice bluegills in there in the spring). Considering I hadn't caught any bass bigger than 1.3lbs (and that's the biggest I've gotten on the river, still figuring things out), I figured this would be the spot to improve that mark. Decided to take my "muskie" combo (7' heavy action spinning combo with 30lb fireline braid) since the water I was fishing was going to be weedy and had some pads, and anything lighter would be begging for trouble with the pads. Got there around 6:20ish after a short bike ride, and started fishing. Nothing immediately, although when I was trying to pull off some line because the line was sitting funny on the reel, a plant managed to create quite the mess of a tangle with the slack line, which took about 15 minutes of patience to get undone wallbash.gif. Fished one part of the spot and it was fruitless, so I decided to fish closer to the actual river channel. About an hour of nothing and a family walked by, with one of the little girls remarking "we're gonna fish a better spot" after her younger brother wondered if they were going to fish where I was. The nerve, I should show them where the better spot actually is rofl2.gif.

About 30 minutes after that, while fishing a weedless spoon, something goes at my bait but misses, looked like a bass. About 5 minutes later, it made a big wake at the bait. Muskie? It didn't hit after that, so I switched to a BBZ Shad (floating). About 3 casts after the switch while twitching it along, it goes after it again and misses. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!! It didn't chase the bait a 2nd time, so I switched to a Skitter Pop in the largest size. A couple casts in, when I was starting to think it wasn't around, *slurp*. I set the hook and there's some decent weight on the line, however I'm worried about the lily pads between me and it. I kept it's head up long enough and got it in. This thing is BIG!!!w00t.gif Approximately 20.5" long, 5.3lbs, new PB (old was the reciprocal of that), 4 times bigger than the previous biggest of the year.

002A.jpg

Edited by Garfisher