Scugog

Hey everybody, I'm heading to Scugog next weekend to go fishing with my brother. Never been there before (or any of the Kawartha lakes for that matter) and was just looking for some advice on what to expect. We'll be targetting musky if it's not too hot. I hear Scugog is pretty shallow, are there lots of logs/rocks that I should watch out for? What are the weeds like? I often fish in lakes where the weeds are extremely thick with no defined weed edge/lots of fish holding in the pockets, is it the similar in Scugog or could I effectively troll the weedlines and be productive?

My plan right now is to use mainly bucktails/spinners (if I get my bucktail reel back from the shop in time) and sledges/jerkbaits in the deeper weeds and any rock stricture I can find, and maybe trolling a bit to start. I'm not looking for any hotspots but anything in general that works for that area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everybody, I'm heading to Scugog next weekend to go fishing with my brother. Never been there before (or any of the Kawartha lakes for that matter) and was just looking for some advice on what to expect. We'll be targetting musky if it's not too hot. I hear Scugog is pretty shallow, are there lots of logs/rocks that I should watch out for? What are the weeds like? I often fish in lakes where the weeds are extremely thick with no defined weed edge/lots of fish holding in the pockets, is it the similar in Scugog or could I effectively troll the weedlines and be productive?

My plan right now is to use mainly bucktails/spinners (if I get my bucktail reel back from the shop in time) and sledges/jerkbaits in the deeper weeds and any rock stricture I can find, and maybe trolling a bit to start. I'm not looking for any hotspots but anything in general that works for that area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you find or hear of something let me know lol. Fished part of it for a day about a month ago. Hit the shoals,points,small little bays,15' of water max is what we found.Lots of bass boats but being in a friends 9.9,we could hardly keep up to them lol.It's a tough lake in a small boat if you don't know it.Good luck!!!!:good:

Dinky muskie in that lake!!

I can only assume you haven't fished it much?

Scugog has some of the biggest musky in the kawartha's IMO. I've spend the last 25 years fishing the kawartha's for musky, and my three biggest are out of the bog.

I troll deep weed edges this time of year.

Anything will work, any colour too...as long as its black and orange ;)

Where you launching??

S.

Scugog has some of the biggest musky in the kawartha's IMO. I've spend the last 25 years fishing the kawartha's for musky, and my three biggest are out of the bog.

Where you launching??

S.

I'll probably be launching out of Port Perry.

Where you launching??

S.

Lol

He gets to fish the st.lawrence... Compared to the fish on the Larry... Kawartha fish are dinks... On average anyways....

Well, I didn't think we were comparing the kawartha's to the Larry. That's apples and oranges.

Scugog has some good muskies....for the kawartha's. It wouldn't be my first pick of lakes around here, and I would launch on the east side of the lake if you can.

S.

Plenty of good fish in the Kawarthas Mike with lots up to 50" and over. Certainly not as large as the fish from some of the bigger bodies of water but every bit as spunky.

What the Kawarthas lose in size is made up by numbers and it's not at all unusual to bag 6 or 7 a day which certainly keeps things from getting boring. :D

Scugog has some great muskies that can also support some girth as well, as Lew said 50s are in most or all of the Kawartha's with persistance, but we have numbers to keep us from falling asleep as well, the best of both worlds IMO.

I heard Lew even caught a 50 incher in the storm water retention pond in Lakefieldwhistling.gif

I'm not knocking the kawarthas... I wish I had a lake to go cast and get 5-10 musky...sometimes...

The Larry seems to have pretty good numbers too though considering it's also a trophy water, though it's gotta be harder to catch as many casting as you can trolling just based on the size alone.

For those who have fished both waters, how does Scugog (and the Kawarthas in general) compare to Stoco? There might be a change of plan and we might end have to end up fishing Stoco instead. I've only fished there once for a few hours last year so I really don't know the lake very well. I've heard of some big musky caught out of there and the fish typically aren't skinny around here, but I'm also wondering what the numbers are like since my brother has only gone musky fishing once before so we're hoping for some decent action too, as well as a good chance of catching fish over 40".

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

The Larry seems to have pretty good numbers too though considering it's also a trophy water, though it's gotta be harder to catch as many casting as you can trolling just based on the size alone.

For those who have fished both waters, how does Scugog (and the Kawarthas in general) compare to Stoco? There might be a change of plan and we might end have to end up fishing Stoco instead. I've only fished there once for a few hours last year so I really don't know the lake very well. I've heard of some big musky caught out of there and the fish typically aren't skinny around here, but I'm also wondering what the numbers are like since my brother has only gone musky fishing once before so we're hoping for some decent action too, as well as a good chance of catching fish over 40".

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Haven't been to Stoco in years , but if you are interested in 40" fish probably the Kawarthas are your best best, if you are in fish over 40 pounds then try Stoco. It wouldn't surprise me that if you could assemble the data Stoco has produced more 40 pound fish per acre than any lake in Onatrio.

Haven't been to Stoco in years , but if you are interested in 40" fish probably the Kawarthas are your best best, if you are in fish over 40 pounds then try Stoco. It wouldn't surprise me that if you could assemble the data Stoco has produced more 40 pound fish per acre than any lake in Onatrio.

Sheesh! Looks like Stoco is the destination since it's more convenient for us next weekend anyway. I know there's huge fish in there but I've been stubbornly fishing Moira a lot this year, trying to get to know that lake really well. I've raised plenty of nice fish there, but only been catching the smallest fish in the lake lol. I've also fished Haliburton several times when I'm up in that area and those fish just aren't cutting it anymore, need to catch some solid fish.

What are Stoco's numbers like? I've heard of 10 fish days from there, but that was by a very experienced musky fisherman/guide so that's not a normal occurance.

What are Stoco's numbers like? I've heard of 10 fish days from there, but that was by a very experienced musky fisherman/guide so that's not a normal occurance.

Nothing like that in my experience, but I did fish it often in the 80's with a friend from CFB Trenton, until he got transferred :wallbash: It was a very hot lake back then, there was one year when I believe it was 7 of the top 15 in the old Molson's Big Fish Contest came out of there, all 40 plus. From what I hear it is still a big fish lake but not those numbers anymore. We never got a truly big one :dunno: