Turkey hunter shot

misfish

It's amazing how some (note some) hunters go into immediate damage control mode when someone is shot. There is no excuse for shooting someone. There are no accidents. Just stupidity. If in doubt, don't take the dangg shot!

so lets say im sitting ina ground blind and take a shot at a deer with a 30-06 in a heavily wooded area with the deer slightly higher in elevation than me. the bullet will obviously pass through the animal and keep going. the odds are low, but lets say the bullet manages to miss all vegetation and hits the house thats a couple kilometers away. would that be stupidity on my part?

there are accidents in hunting, just like everything else in life.

because you say so? ive shot a turkey every year for the last 6 years and 2 of those birds were stalked. every single one was shot safely...

you guys are so quick to judge the shooter before you even know the full story. for all we know they could have split up and the shooter stalked a bird that just happened to be near the victim. he could have had a good patterning gun and could have been 80 yards away from his buddy when he shot. they dont mention how many pellets he got hit with. injuries to both eyes and face could just mean he got hit with 3 pellets, not plastered. remember, the media always exagerates when it cmoes to hunting accidents to make hunting look very dangerous.

with proper camo its hard to spot a hunter 30 yards away with nothing between each other so its very easy for accidents to happen.

One of the most important things they teach you at the course is not to stalk turkeys... Makes perfect sence as well... many people are over excited and trigger happy and upon hearing you walk through the woods calling they may take a quick shot not realizing the target... It is not necesarily the stalker who shoots and injures one but often the otehr way around... I hope for your safety you quit stalking the birds, but if not at least DO NOT tell people it is ok to stalk turkeys as it most certainly is not...

Maybe some people need to actually read the posts that some have made and understand that their statements

were based on the fact that this was a sad thing that happened and was not directed as an attack against hunters and hunting. As was clearly stated. Statements related to "holier than thou" couldn't be farther off the mark. Sounds like a few people are just a little too touchy about comments on their sport and are just a tad on the defensive side. It was tragic. Leave it at that. And read all the posts entirely.

Hookset.

One of the most important things they teach you at the course is not to stalk turkeys... Makes perfect sence as well... many people are over excited and trigger happy and upon hearing you walk through the woods calling they may take a quick shot not realizing the target... It is not necesarily the stalker who shoots and injures one but often the otehr way around... I hope for your safety you quit stalking the birds, but if not at least DO NOT tell people it is ok to stalk turkeys as it most certainly is not...

stalking big or small game is no different than stalking turkey. in any case there could be a hunter in a blind near you without you knowing it. stalking is acceptable for deer, please explain why it shouldnt be for turkey.

stalking isnt dangerous. idiots that shoot at sounds are dangerous and should be banned from gun ownership and hunting because their little brains cant comprehend that you should be able to see the target before shooting.

stalking big or small game is no different than stalking turkey. in any case there could be a hunter in a blind near you without you knowing it. stalking is acceptable for deer, please explain why it shouldnt be for turkey.

stalking isnt dangerous. idiots that shoot at sounds are dangerous and should be banned from gun ownership and hunting because their little brains cant comprehend that you should be able to see the target before shooting.

While hunting for other animals you MUST wear hunter orange... many other animals are colour blind whearas turkeys are not so you are not required to hunt with hunter orange... The orange allows you to be seen in the woods, so if stalking you're chances of being mistaken as an orange deer or rabbit or bird are significantly reduces... That is what makes it different... did you actually take the course and if so did you sleep through it or totally disregard what they said?

Maybe some people need to actually read the posts that some have made and understand that their statements

were based on the fact that this was a sad thing that happened and was not directed as an attack against hunters and hunting. As was clearly stated. Statements related to "holier than thou" couldn't be farther off the mark. Sounds like a few people are just a little too touchy about comments on their sport and are just a tad on the defensive side. It was tragic. Leave it at that. And read all the posts entirely.

While hunting for other animals you MUST wear hunter orange... many other animals are colour blind whearas turkeys are not so you are not required to hunt with hunter orange... The orange allows you to be seen in the woods, so if stalking you're chances of being mistaken as an orange deer or rabbit or bird are significantly reduces... That is what makes it different... did you actually take the course and if so did you sleep through it or totally disregard what they said?

Myself I would have to go with Bill here as WE are taught and told how to hunt safe.

Bill your comment about the ORANGE is so right on the mark. Theres a reason why they tell us to sit againts the wides tree trunk we can find and why they say to draw your bird to you.

They sure must be teaching different safty at these courses from when I took them. SAFTY was the number one rule that was repeatly inforced.

If you want to stalk in my bush go ahead,atleast you know you,ll be safe from me shooting yer donkey.

As for the holier than thou,well I guess some of us were brought up with saftey first and the kill second.

Im a do as I say,not as I do hunter.

Finally yes it is sad what happen,we have yet to hear or read what happen,but well,I guess we,ll find out I hope so that others can learn from this tragity.

Happy hunting and be safe.

Bill you are correct about the blaze orange being the difference.If you are stalking an animal on public land and are not wearing orange and you get shot you are partially at fault.Spring gobbler season is prolly the most dangerous hunting season there is abut if everyone uses common sense it is very safe.

Joe

Without hearing what actually happened, too many people are passing judgement. For all we know, buddy may not have had his safety on and fell, or dropped the gun. On the other hand, they could very well have setup in eachothers crossfire, who knows. The fact that dude was charged would lead more to a no safety, accidental discharge way of this happening.

ch312, yes it would be stupidity on your part. If you are not sure of where your bullet may land, you shouldn't take the shot. If you know that you are shooting at an upward trajectory, and you are not sure of what may be within range of your bullet, don't take the shot. Ya it sucks watching your game walk away because you don't have a safe shot, but killing someone because you don't understand the ballistics of the projectile is pure stupidity.

What we need to do here is make mention to the media that thousands of people have safely hunted today, as did yesterday, and will tomorrow. We may want to write letters to the media calling for a ban on baseball bats too. They can be used to hurt or kill people, and the fact that people enjoy using them for recreation shouldn't be an excuse to keep them legal because if it saves just one life...

cd.

That is exactly why I quit hunting 34 yrs. ago, 2 friends of mine invited me to go squirrel hunting with them... but I declined because I had a feeling that something wasn't right, even though I'd hunted with them before.

Sure enough, when they returned... one had been shot by the other in the leg and foot.

There hundreds of hunting accidents a year and you maybe the most careful hunter in the world... but there are thousands of idiots out there with loaded weapons... think about it!

Hookset.

Hookset - I read all the posts. I quoted yours to address the safety comment.

The "holier than thou" thing was in response to the "There are no accidents. Just stupidity" ... "If you took the course it wouldn't happen..." type of relies when all that was released was more or less that someone got shot in the face. For all we knew the gun malfunctioned. Or his buddy with the crossbow was the idiot. Any number of things could have taken place.

I have yet to turkey hunt but have grown up with guns and hunting as did my dad, grandfathers, uncles on both sides of the family and numerous friends. No one's had an accident. Sitting through a seminar does not make you a safe hunter but suddenly some of those who have taken it and not shot someone are experts. Experience, knowledge and common sense makes a safe hunter/gun handler. Not some test after listening to an instructor for a weekend.

End rant :unsure:

ch312, yes it would be stupidity on your part. If you are not sure of where your bullet may land, you shouldn't take the shot. If you know that you are shooting at an upward trajectory, and you are not sure of what may be within range of your bullet, don't take the shot. Ya it sucks watching your game walk away because you don't have a safe shot, but killing someone because you don't understand the ballistics of the projectile is pure stupidity.

so going by how you think, the ONLY safe shots would be from a treestand or when you are above the target and the bullet or arrow will hit the ground immeadiatly after it passes through the animal. when at the same level or slightly below the target your bullet wont hit the ground after passing through an animal. the fact is, you NEVER know 100% what is behind your target. seriously, think about it before you think that my example would be "stupid". if you know 100% what is always beyond your target, could you please tell us where you bought your x-ray goggles because without those, its impossible.

and yes, i fully understand ballistics and how bullets act which is why i know its impossible know 100% where your bullet is going to travel after the shot if you are level or slightly lower than your target.

no bill, i didnt take the course. i just mentioned ive shot 5 wild turkey to let the world know im a poacher :rolleyes:

The world is a pretty strange and random place. Sometimes the safest people get shot hunting, or get killed in a car wreck or fall out of a boat and drown.

Shame though. I'm sure neither of them wanted this to happen and the guy doing the shooting is probably devastated.