Who's That Lady Living in my Tree? - NF

Leecher

Made a wonderful discovery this morning while I was having my morning coffee :) for the past few weeks, every time I sat down on the bench, could hear the sound of bird wings flopping through the leaves and never could catch a glimpse of it :blink:

It got me intrigued and after a little search, found a birds nest at the top of the tree that is located at one end of my back yard deck :) While looking from ground zero, could see movement through the branches and leaves.

Here's where I enjoy my first zip of coffee during the weekend B) I call it "my gateaway corner" :lol:

DSC08337.jpg

So I decided to have a closer look and shoot some shots with the camera but I still don't know what species it is... looked through this book I have

DSC08338.jpg

and figured it's a cedar waxwing but not a hundred percent sure :dunno:

Here's some of the shots from the camera

DSC08335.jpg

DSC08334.jpg

DSC08336.jpg

As you can see, the yellow tip tail and taupe coloured head and long beak had me thinking at first it was Cardinal female... no :dunno: then I thought of a blue jay... no :dunno: after consulting the book from the pic above, Waxwing was my choice but not 100% sure :dunno:

Anyhoot, thought it was pretty cool to find and so close to where I get to getaway for my morning brew :)

If some of you have a good idea of what species it is, by all means let it all out :good:

Tight lines

TJunkie

Cedar waxwing Jaques - tres cool. One of my faves - and ususally very shy, at least around here,

Thanks for confirming Rick :thumbsup_anim: poor little girl got scared when I got up close with the camera :wallbash: But she came back to tend her duties :)

I'll second spincast's statement.

Thanks Rob!!!

you wont find it in that book Jacques because it is written in French....try a bird book from Canada :whistling::D

LOL Dave :rofl2:

That's cool Jacques

2x this spring I seen a Baltimore Oriole (bird not ball player)

Had to look it up also to identify

Sure is Terrence B):thumbsup_anim:

My favorite bird as a kid was the Baltimore Oriole , the thing i remember the most was its nest hanging from high up in an elm tree that grew close to our house , it hung there like a sock , this one is not like that at all ... lol . The orioles that were around our place were mostly orange , this ones a new one on me .

Edited by Skipper " D "

They are a beautiful bird, thanks for posting TJ, you got me looking through my archives. A few years ago I noticed blossom peddles falling out of my apple tree. I discovered a few Wax Wings eating the core of the blossoms and dropping the peddles. I got a few pictures but it was difficult to get a good one.

20070526WaxWing.jpg

Nice bird.

Cedar waxwing, but could be a Bohemian waxwing...

If you can see the wings, Cedar waxwings have red tips, Bohemians yellow.

Bohemian Waxwings only breed in the extreme north and are only encountered in more southern latitudes during the winter months.

Cedar Waxwing as the others have said. My favourite looking bird. They travel in big groups and when they come for a visit it is quite a treat.

Thanks Grimace!!!

It's a waxwing, but I've never seen that yellow tip. :dunno: I love how smooth their feathers look...

They sure look pretty B)

Most bird books list it as a baltimore oriole; there are other types of orioles. A search on "baltimore oriole" yielded this result.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/baltimore_oriole/id

Thanks for the link JohnB!!!

My favorite bird as a kid was the Baltimore Oriole , the thing i remember the most was its nest hanging from high up in an elm tree that grew close to our house , it hung there like a sock , this one is not like that at all ... lol . The orioles that were around our place were mostly orange , this ones a new one on me .

B) Skipper!!!

Thanks for clarifying, funny I thought calling them a Baltimore Oriole was like calling a blue jay a Toronto Blue Jay.

:lol:

They are a beautiful bird, thanks for posting TJ, you got me looking through my archives. A few years ago I noticed blossom peddles falling out of my apple tree. I discovered a few Wax Wings eating the core of the blossoms and dropping the peddles. I got a few pictures but it was difficult to get a good one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/Alphaalphaalpha/Junk/20070526WaxWing.jpg

Your welcome IFH!!! and thanks for posting your pic :thumbsup_anim: They are indeed hard to photograph up close.

Nice bird.

Cedar waxwing, but could be a Bohemian waxwing...

If you can see the wings, Cedar waxwings have red tips, Bohemians yellow.

Thanks Out4Trout!!! The only thing I can see from standing on my deck is her head and tail... If I try to get closer by stepping on the bench, she flies away :o

Bohemian Waxwings only breed in the extreme north and are only encountered in more southern latitudes during the winter months.

Good to know wallacio :good:

It's an atlantic.

:o:lol: