Lake Scugog walleye population dwindling

Harrison

Hey All,

I was just sent this article.

Maybe it is finally time to close the ice for walleye.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/article/1378134--lake-scugog-walleye-population-dwindling

We used to do very well on the bog in the spring for walleye. It's been a few years since I've fished it for eyes, but friends of mine have and the reports over the last couples years have not been good at all.

Edited by Harrison

All the Kawartha Lakes walleye population have taken there turn at crashing. First was Rice made a huge come back, Sturgeon took it's turn and now is the best it's been in my life time. Tri Lakes still is down.

And now it's Scugog turn.

All these crashes seem to occur at the crappie peak and then walleyes rebound. Hopefully Tri Lakes and Scugog do the same.

All the Kawartha Lakes walleye population have taken there turn at crashing. First was Rice made a huge come back, Sturgeon took it's turn and now is the best it's been in my life time. Tri Lakes still is down.

All these crashes seem to occur at the crappie peak and then walleyes rebound. Hopefully Tri Lakes and Scugog do the same.

Good observation about the crappie peak, never looked at it like that. I see where you are coming from.

Absoulutely the crappie is the reason for the Walleye issue I have been saying this for years imho ice fishing has little to do with the decline in Walleye population.

I used to have a place at Goreski`s and never had a problem catching eye`s.

Get rid of the Crappie and it will be a great fishery again.

It's interesting to me that people are still blaming the decline of Walleye in the Kawarthas on Crappie. According to the article,the decline in the Walleye population is believed to be linked to the loss of habitat related to changes in water clarity.

We have seen this on the lake that we have been fishing in the Kawarthas for the last 30 years. When we started fishing there, there were clearly defined weed spots and clearly defined rock spots. Now due to the increase of weeds resulting from the greatly increased water clarity (a result of Zebra mussels), there are basically almost no areas of the lake that are simply rock. There are weed spots and weed/rock spots. During the same period, we have seen a huge increase in the Largemouth Bass population. Thirty years ago it was rare to catch a Largemouth on the lake we fish. The lake was dominated by Smallmouth, Walleye and Musky. Now the Bass population is probably 50/50 or even 60/40 Largemouth to Smallmouth. The panfish population seems to be better than ever, probably due to the increase in weedu cover.

Please show me the research by reputable biologists for any lake in North America showing that Crappies have caused a decline in a Walleye population. I know of no such research. If it exists, I am willing to be corrected. I can on the other hand show you research conducted by the Wisconsin DNR that shows that Largemouth Bass prey significantly on young Walleye. Wisconsin DNR research shows that lakes that have excellent Largemouth Bass habitat tend to have poor Walleye habitat whereas lakes with good Smallmouth Bass habitat tend to have good Walleye habitat. Clearly the ecosystem of the Kawartha lakes has significantly changed over the last 30 years due in no small part to the invasive Zebra Mussels. It is worth noting that Walleyes, Crappies and Zebra Mussels are all exotic species to the Kawarthas. All were introduced.

Whether we like Crappies or not, they are here to stay. I do not believe they are causing the Walleye decline nor do I believe it will help the future of the fishery to keep saying that they are. People need to stop killing the walleyes and let them spawn. The MNR will need to greatly restrict Walleye harvest and take steps to protect the prime spawners. They have alreay begun to do this with recent changes to the regulations. It will probably take at least 10 years to see the true effects of the new regulations. There may need to be some level of rehabilitative walleye stocking in order to boost the population back to sustainable levels while harvest is restricted. The MNR should also consider a slot limit that allows some harvest of smaller males while protecting spawning females. These are just my opinions. I could be wrong.

Tom

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/species/muskie/MUE_ImpactOnWalleye.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2010/06/fishery.htm

Edited by Tom R.

Problem is, the proximity to major urban areas and open icefishing season have had more of an effect on the fishing on Scugog than the rise of the Crappie population. Im sure one hand feeds the other. That is, crappie population spikes probably garner some attention in the matter. But for generations it has been, aside from a few forward thinking anglers, mainly a lake where people figured to catch a limit and feed the family. What goes around, comes around, unfortunately.

I hope youre right, i really do. I just think that there is a different set of circumstances at play with Scugog.

I agree. I've noticed the same trends.

S.

My degree is in fishing.

And you are correct that zebra mussel and water clarity are a factor, plus the re stocking of crappie in all the Kawrathas.

Crappie establish them selves in a lake and then explode in size and numbers, and then normalize.

So shoal spawning walleye spawn rite around ice out and the #1 predator is carp every spawning female will have 2-3 males with her and several carp.

About 2 weeks the walleye fry hatch and swim to the surface were the most algae is just about the time the crappie head to the banks. In the very early spring all of these lakes are dead no bugs no minnows just young of the year walleye fry.

The great luck crappie feed up and walleye fry are the available food source.

It was my hope that Scugog was self protecting in it's water color and I think it lasted better than Tri Lakes but the water definitely stays clearer longer.

The good news is Scugog is down but there are still guys out their catching good #'s.

Slot limits played no roll in Rices come back or Sturgeons.

The ticking time bomb is Balsam it's had the slot the longest. I haven't caught a giant in 3 years. Now if we get 2-3 years of poor spawn plus the crappie are starting to peak it will be a disaster.

Each of the Kawrartha's will face this ticking time bomb, when the overs die off. Yes I'm worried!

Edited by Garnet

My degree is in fishing.

And you are correct that zebra mussel and water clarity are a factor, plus the re stocking of crappie in all the Kawrathas.

Crappie establish them selves in a lake and then explode in size and numbers, and then normalize.

So shoal spawning walleye spawn rite around ice out and the #1 predator is carb every spawning female will have 2-3 males with her and several carb.

About 2 weeks the walleye fry hatch and swim to the surface were the most algae is just about the time the crappie head to the banks. In the very early spring all of these lakes are dead no bugs no minnows just young of the year walleye fry.

The great luck crappie feed up and walleye fry are the available food source.

It was my hope that Scugog was self protecting in it's water color and I think it lasted better than Tri Lakes but the water definitely stays clearer longer.

The good news is Scugog is down but there are still guys out their catching good #'s.

Slot limits played no roll in Rices come back or Sturgeons.

The ticking time bomb is Balsam it's had the slot the longest. I haven't caught a giant in 3 years. Now if we get 2-3 years of poor spawn plus the crappie are starting to peak it will be a disaster.

Each of the Kawrartha's will face this ticking time bomb, when the overs die off. Yes I'm worried!

Garnet please clarify. Did you mean carp instead of carb?