Charges laid after hidden cameras recorded

fisher

Anyone know the cottage in question or have a picture of it?

I have rented a cottage on Chemong Lake a few years ago and am interested to see a picture of the cottage this occurred in.

Here is the article....

Charges laid after hidden cameras recorded people using cottage

Chemong Lake cottage had cameras located inside and outside property

(BUCKHORN) A 39-year-old Toronto man is facing voyeurism charges after a cottage rental party had cameras recording the activities of clients inside.

According to Peterborough County OPP, on May 5 officers responded to reports of a voyeurism incident at a Chemong Lake address.

OPP say the owner of a cottage on the lake, south of Buckhorn, rented the property out. He had security cameras mounted both outside and throughout the interior of the building, OPP say, and the cameras were connected to a DVR (digital video recorder), which recorded the activities of anyone renting the property.

OPP were contacted when someone renting the cottage discovered the cameras.

Derek C. James is charged with voyeurism and mischief by interfering with the lawful use and enjoyment of property

I was thinking of putting up a couple Wifi Cameras at my cottage and wondered about the legality behind it if in the future i rented it out.

I wouldnt of been hiding the cameras or placed them in bedrooms/washrooms and such... just the main area and front entrance.

Hmm

I can understand exterior cameras when the cottage is unoccupied by owner or renter, as my family and friends have been victim of cottage break in's more than a few times

but the interior cameras is crossing the line on a rental property and at a minimum the renter should be informed of the exterior cameras when occupying the property...if it was my family/friends I'd request the camera's turned off while i was renting or find another rental

the legality behind this will be interesting to follow, I would assume the severity of the consequences will be dependent on the nature of the video footage retrieved, hopefully the owner's intentions/actions and whatever evidence/footage is retrieved isn't of a disturbing nature, that would be horrible for the families involved to deal with

We rented an outpost cabin on Partridge Lk with access to Kesagami Lk from Ron Baron of Gardiner Air. The cabin had 2 obvious cameras, 1 inside, 1 outside, we were pretty sure they weren't functional and were just there as a deterent, but who knows, Ron was pretty particular about his stuff