looking for a new walleye net...

hey all...

i am looking for a high quality net that will last me a long time... i seem to be going trough a net every 2 years... which personally i dont find acceptable...

i dont need any bells and whistles... i dont want telescoping because thatll just break anyways...

im looking for a net with a hoop around 24-26 inches... that can handle bigger walleye... and a 48+ inch handle...

i cant decide on mesh material... fine...rubber... knotless nylon...

ive had knotless nylon... and found the hooks get hung up on every fish...

i currently have fine mesh and find the hooks stay out better... but when they do get caught its harder to get em out...

and ive heard rubber is too shallow... and heavy if your fishing solo...

so im leaning towards fine mesh/fin saver style mesh...

anyway... any help is appreciated...

thanks

mike

Cabela's has SEVERAL kinds.......rubber etc.......

I only use a rubber net for night fishing.....great as the treble hooks don't get buried in it when the action is hot.....but during the day I just use a regular net......I have had my Cabela's nets for MANY years...see here and LOOK at the different ones.....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Custom-Landing-Nets/739354.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlanding%2Bnet%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%25253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=landing+net

Edited by Billy Bob

I want to know what you've been doing to your nets to destroy them? Thats one piece of equipment I've never had to replace. I did, however, replace the mesh on my musky/salmon net just last week, with one I got from Lew. Great improvement, and got it slimed the next day, so it has some luck with it as well!

S.

I have a Stowmaster, it's convenient because it uh, stows, but it can be a real pita when trying to get it folded. I would say that if you have a good option to stand up a net in your boat get a Beckman. I don't like the rubber, most are too shallow, and make netting bigger fish more of an issue than is necessary. I use the rubbarized coated net.

I want to know what you've been doing to your nets to destroy them? Thats one piece of equipment I've never had to replace. I did, however, replace the mesh on my musky/salmon net just last week, with one I got from Lew. Great improvement, and got it slimed the next day, so it has some luck with it as well!

S.

on days when i cant fish i like see how long it takes to cut the net with different butter knifes... :rofl2:

it may be the 1000+ fish that get put in the net a year...

and when you consistently get 5-8 pound walleye on a daily basis..on cranks... they can do some damage thrashing around with trebles hanging out...

and hey... maybe all my nets have been poop... thats why im asking what nets you guys like...

i know where to get nets... and ive heard who makes good nets...

but what i really want to know is what nets or should i say what models have performed well for you...?

im looking for a net that can handle fish up to and over 10 pounds... and is easy on the trebles...

thanks again for all the help so far...

i destroyed one of these in one season

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Tools/Landing-Nets-Seines|/pc/104793480/c/104720580/sc/104427180/Ego-Generation-2-Silder-Net/1374360.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100393%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd739354&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd739354%3Bcat104427180

the handle doesnt slide anymore

the foam on the handle has peeled

and the mesh has holes ripped in it by hooks/fish

and the threads holding the handle in the hoop are stripping...(plastic)

on days when i cant fish i like see how long it takes to cut the net with different butter knifes... :rofl2:

it may be the 1000+ fish that get put in the net a year...

and when you consistently get 5-8 pound walleye on a daily basis..on cranks... they can do some damage thrashing around with trebles hanging out...

and hey... maybe all my nets have been poop... thats why im asking what nets you guys like...

i know where to get nets... and ive heard who makes good nets...

but what i really want to know is what nets or should i say what models have performed well for you...?

im looking for a net that can handle fish up to and over 10 pounds... and is easy on the trebles...

thanks again for all the help so far...

Well one question you answered for me is I got at least 999 to go before I need to change mine( hopefully musky as that is all I really use it for).I had the older frabill with the knotted net which is still a much better overall net than my newer frabill with the rubberized net which has less depth but a flatter bottom.It is easier to get the hooks free but more of a chance of a larger fish getting out while thrashing.I've had a 26 lb king in the older net and no bends in the handle yet.

Kerry

I have a net in my boat that is stored in the splash well for the last 27 years......has been used on way more then a 1000 fish over that time and it is exposed all the time to the sun.....it just a regular net that is always back there.....just in case......but I do have 2 other speciality nets....the rubber one I use when night fishing for walleyes and my huge trolling net that I use to use when I fished competition in walleye tournaments........it has a very large hoop.....but it also has a very long handle that can be extended to about 8 feet in length so we could net fish straight off the back of the outboard while still trolling 5 other lines....you can't stop or everything would tangle....it is also used for trout/salmon fishing on Lake Ontario.

Mike I hate to say it.......but reading your posts.......you seem hard on your equipment.....my partner Don is the same way....when I return home from a trip, if there is ANYTHING wrong with my equipment I immediately repair it before the next time out.

I have a net in my boat that is stored in the splash well for the last 27 years......has been used on way more then a 1000 fish over that time and it is exposed all the time to the sun.....it just a regular net that is always back there.....just in case......but I do have 2 other speciality nets....the rubber one I use when night fishing for walleyes and my huge trolling net that I use to use when I fished competition in walleye tournaments........it has a very large hoop.....but it also has a very long handle that can be extended to about 8 feet in length so we could net fish straight off the back of the outboard while still trolling 5 other lines....you can't stop or everything would tangle....it is also used for trout/salmon fishing on Lake Ontario.

Mike I hate to say it.......but reading your posts.......you seem hard on your equipment.....my partner Don is the same way....when I return home from a trip, if there is ANYTHING wrong with my equipment I immediately repair it before the next time out.

I'm actually pretty good with most of my gear..

My 3 things I beat the poop out of are...

My motor...(troll all day with main motor)

My net...(because I haven't found the right one yet)

My crankbaits... They can only handle so much... Rocks... Loads of walleye... The occasional musky...etc... I had one that I ended up tossing the other day... Almost no paint left... The lip was ground down from rubbing bottom... It was sinking(supposed to float)... And the hooks had been changed too many times to count... That one lure boated me probably 150+ walleyes... And a few musky... I couldn't even get it tuned... It just wouldn't run quite right anymore...

The 150 fish lure is the one you stock up on. I've got the Lucky Strike with the flattish bottom and it's been great. My musky net is a Stowmaster, that one, I love!! Go to a store with a huge selection and check out the various nets and pick one that has the most features that you like.