Anyone notice the change on Simcoe?

Cudz

I have been fishing smallies and perch in Simcoe for about 25 years now. I have noticed one thing in the past 2 years. Their diet seems to have switched from crayfish to other. By other I mean bogies, perch and shiners. In the past when I have opened up the stomachs of perch and smbs caught in rocky areas, their contents were almost 100% crayfish. WHen a smallie would regurgitate a meal, it was always crafish. Now, I have bass puking up gobies, and perch have small minnows or fish in them and very rarely crayfish. I also feel that I do not see crayfish in my fishing areas nearly as frequently as before. What is the deal? Are gobies affect the crayfish reproduction? Is it something we should be worried about?

Just as a sidenote, There were far fewer smallies around the rocks then there have been in the past.

Maybe I am just imagining things but I know these areas pretty well and this is my opinion.

I've heard that Simcoe has a lot of invasive rusty crayfish. The rusties can grow larger and maybe a more difficult prey item for smallies so they've switched to something easier.

Also they maybe they're reducing native crayfish #'s and so smallies are eating other familiar prey.

Edited by timmeh

I've heard that Simcoe has a lot of invasive rusty crayfish. The rusties can grow larger and maybe a more difficult prey item for smallies so they've switched to something easier.

Also they maybe they're reducing native crayfish #'s and so smallies are eating other familiar prey.

That seems like a possibility. Thanks

I was reading a bit on this and this statement was disturbing:

"Game fish Prey - While gobies are preyed upon by several sport fish species (e.g., smallmouth and rock bass, walleyes, yellow perch, and brown trout), there may be a perception that gobies are beneficial for fishing. However, because their diet consists predominately of zebra mussels, there may be a direct transfer of contaminants from gobies to sport fish, which could ultimately harm humans who consume their catch."

A few weekends ago,Terry and I seen a crawfish,that was easy huge. Not even a bass would of been ablt to eat it.Mini lobster.

Edited by Misfish

Agreed bushart. People often know what they should do but are complacent and figure that their boat isnt going to be the one that brings something invasive from one waterbody to another.

Im guessing youre back Cudz? If so, glad to hear it!

We caught gobies thru the ice this past winter. Some of them were 6" long. The perch were feasting on them. Just last week though, the perch a friend of mine were catching were full of the normal crayfish, so who knows. The lake is certainly changing. Where are the whities now??

S.