Ordering outboards...

So

With all this talk about delays and so on...

I'm wondering a few things...

I plan on buying a new motor...

I want it on my boat and rigged in march... Early April at the latest...

So how early do I need to order it to garauntee this deadline... I'm hoping to have the money I need by fall... Ice up at the latest...

Do dealerships get more then one shipment a year...?

If I order by year end is that sufficient amount of time...?

Or am I better off just calling around to find what I'm looking for and drive to go get it...?

Thanks

Mike

Factors: Which brand of motor? What size? How far are you willing to travel.

Henry brought up some great points from the dealer's pov. Another thing that may have influenced 2012 is the tsunami. From paint to parts some most car dealers were impacted in some way. Last June there were no cars and this May many dealers are still playing catch-up.

Edited by kickingfrog

I'm willing to drive far if the price is right... But I have some prices from the USA side and compared locally and they're a heck of a lot cheaper ... Like $2,000 cheaper for a 40-50hp tiller...

If anyone can get close to USA prices I would drive as far as the GTA to get it.... Any further would have to be a steal... Cause towing to GTA with my truck will cost a lot...

My top 3 brands in order are

Yamaha

Suzuki

Mercury

But price may effect that order...lol...

And it's very cery close between the 3...

And if there's any dealers here shoot me a pm on the price of a 40 and 50 tiller with electric trim of whatever brand you deal with...I'm guessing nobody on Ontario can touch USA prices for reasons outside their control... But it's worth a try...

Thanks again for the help

Mike

My two cents, wait until the rebate/extended warranty programs begin and find yourself a leftover in stock. You'll get the best dealer price and qualify for the manufacturer's incentives (rebates and extended warranties). If on the other hand you want to order, I'd back up 4 months to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Please keep in mind when looking for a Yamaha in the states. It will not be warrantied in Canada. Two separate identities.

But could I still get warranty work covered by the USA dealer... I'd imagine... Just have to bring it across...

Like say an american bought a mercury from you... And had an issue... Can he bring it back into canada to you for warranty work...?

I bought a Suzuki DF140 this past winter. During my homework, I talked to a few different dealers. It sounds like they all have to place their orders well in advance, long before they have any committed sales. If you want the best choice, talk to them in early December but you'll have to be prepared to leave a deposit. The alternative is to find one after they arrive and are in stock.

For Suzuki, you might want to call Marsh's Marina (Mark), [email protected] , (705) 538-2285, 5 Duck Bay Rd

Waubaushene, Ontario, Canada L0K 2C0

They're the biggest Suzuki dealer around. I wanted a non-current model (big savings and free extended warranty). Marsh's had a 2011 that was exactly what I wanted, and gave me the best price I could find.

Their install/rigging/set-up was perfect, and communications were good. After you take delivery, warranty issues can be handled nearer to home.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing you'll never ever get a price in Ontario that matches the prices you're seeing in NYS.

Edited by whiskywizard

My suggestion would be to wait till end of this season and look for a new, non-current model year from a dealer -- kinda like whiskey did above

I bought my new 2010 40 Yammy (from Hastings Marine (I shopped around and they were the best price [i was stuck on Yamaha] -- they deal Yammy and I believe Mercs too) that way and saved a fair amount compared to buying the brand spanking new 2011 which were just hitting the showroom.

Edited by Raf

hard to beat the US prices

nv211161_0_thumb.jpg

nv211188_0_thumb.jpg

nv211176_0_thumb.jpg

nv211181_0_thumb.jpg

FourStroke 40 EFI

Our Price $3,919.00* FourStroke 40 EFI Bigfoot

Our Price $4,945.00* FourStroke 50 EFI

Our Price $5,199.00* FourStroke 50 EFI Bigfoot

Our Price $5,299.00*

nv211163_0_thumb.jpg