A week on Kashagawigamog

Toad Hunter

well everyone, I've been lingering around on this site long enough, and have the week off as of Friday at mid nite (convenient timing :whistling:). And will be finally getting my boat up to Kashagawigamog. I hope I haven't tricked too many of you into reading this expecting THIS to be my report - just a heads up for what I hope to be one epic tale of tight lines and loads of pics. (provided the jerks at weather network are lieing to me as far as the long term trend :wallbash:)

Good luck....we are all expecting an epic report now....no pressure :D I don't know about the MNR, but I'm *pretty sure* the bait shop in Minden has maps for K-mog. At least he was showing me where to launch on a map the last time I was in there....I'm assuming the same map he was using was also for sale.

thanx for the tip. Well weather permitting, I believe I have all the right "tools" I just want the map to help make easy work for my electronics. I might also add that I haven't fished this lake in over 10 years *after spending my summers there from fetus stages until I was 18* so I just hope my hot spots still pan out for me and with the knowledge I have stock piled over the years since will come in handy (see what I did there, I've already made up my 2 excuses for if things go sour) :rofl2:

Looking forward to your report. I've only ice fished on Kashagawigamog, but always wondered how people did in the summer there. Don't forget to bring some musky gear ;)

Also, never trust the long-term forecast. The day before at best, IMO.

You can get a free depth map here: http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/25177/

You can also browse a "demo" version of the TrakMaps depth map here: http://trakmaps.com/PrintedMapDetails.aspx?PM=5b2353d3-ee2a-4f47-8fa4-6253f7f02803

Good luck!

dontcry -> be on the look out for a black tin rocket with the captin doing the cobra (from G.I joe) battle cry (Coooobraaaaaaa!!!) (I've painted my boat black with the Cobra logo and all, and named it "Destro" (ya thats my inner nerd lol) :tease:

thanx everyone, I've looked at those maps too, but would like something infront of me that I can write on etc. I've also google earthed some nice shoals, humps and ledges too, some I knew of, some I have jusyt discovered. but looking forward to hitting them all as much as I can.

I hope to get some musky fishing in, since the only one I have landed (in my life) was by accident, while pitching into the weeds approaching the narrows towards Haliburton. And haven't really targeted them before, but have plenty of "pike gear" that I hope will do the trick. I'm just hoping for some nice bass -and some eyes for the pan. (if I decide to keep any) - would be a cruel thing to put my pregger wife through (as she cant eat fish right now do to possible mercury levels, and is a newfie - )

I'm usually a CPR guy myself anyways (catch photo release).

Edited by Toad Hunter

Hey TH

Had a cottage on the South shore at the Soyer's bridge on hwy 121.

Lots of good bass in Soyer's,

Picked up a few Musky trolling a Believer in the prop wash on Head Lake.

Rick

You should be able to find some nice bass there, I run a small tournament on that lake every year and we've regularly had weights of 6lbs+ on the scales. I do know the secret behind the method used by one of our regular winners, but I ain't spillin' nuthin'!

(side note) does anyone know if the MNR in Minden still sells topo maps (or depth charts)

If you go to the town of Haliburton village, there is a tackle shop on the north west corner of Highland Street and Maple Ave, they sell one-pager topo maps for all the lakes in the area. I have had good success for bass and walleye both in Kashaga and Soyers trolling the shores at the dusk.

Bass come to life around 8pm and they will hit anything top surface. Loads of fun.

Coincidentally I am taking next week off too, renting a cottage just north east of this area.

Have fun,

Miro

(side note) does anyone know if the MNR in Minden still sells topo maps (or depth charts)

the contour maps are free at the Minden MNR, the lady that gets the maps is usually pretty grumpy and makes it seem like it's a huge bother for her to find it though

• 3 weeks later...

Well I debated if I even wanted to add to this thread after the horrible week I had, but figured I owed it to all who were curious, to at least post *something*. :whistling:

So Sat. am of the opener, I had the boat rigged up and ready to go by 7 am, I knew I was missing prime time by loading so late in the am, but was working late friday nite and had to wait for my buddy to help hand bomb the boat and jimmy rig the boat to the trailer.

rigged up.jpg

The first day, winds kept us off the water, and the Mrs told me it was time for "visiting" anyways. Later in the evening, I took the boat out for her "maiden voyage", set up the new finder and got familiar with it. This really got me lookin forward to a week on the waters.

Sunday morning didn't sound too promising either, (calling for T storms) , in spite of the warning, my buddies still made the long drive from Kitchener for a "day trip" of fishing from 7 am - around 2, respectfully. Sadly though the weather man was half right , got the rain, but no storm around us. So we toughed it out and the bite "picked up".:sarcasm:

I was first on the board...but wouldn't brag about it.

first catch.jpg

After my little rocket ran low on fuel, I had my buddy whip me down to bryson's to fill up the tank and decided to hit the mats in the narrows before Soyers, then my first catch got whiped away with my buddy Justin's catch (again nothing to brag about).

pettis bass.jpg

and my buddy kevin got the skunk out of his pants with this nice catch (at least his excitement seems to reflect a trophy)

kevins trophy.jpg

Disappointed, my buddies made the long, wet drive home. I still wasn't thrown off, having fished this lake for the first 20 yrs of my life, and knew I had a whole week to make up for it.

Monday again saw high winds that kept us tending to the garden and the beer fridge.

and "around" 430 (don't ask how I knew the time :whistling:)- we had a visitor of our own, this little guy

todd.jpg

we named him "Todd".

I managed to get out for a few hrs in the evening tryin for some of the "eyes" in my old hot spot. I was marking them all over like the screen was paint balled, but couldn't get anything to take the assortment of goodies I offered them

By Tues. I was determined I had to pull something - anything - into the boat, and thought I would try to whip down to the mats again and hell, even try for Justin's bass again just to have slime on my hands. But as I went to get around the point and put it in "high gear" I noticed engine problems (as I posted in another thread). Not being MY motor, I was really not interested in doing any (more) damage, or ruin my week by having the motor in parts on shore. So I was limited the rest of the week to my travels, and the week played out pretty much the same as the first few days.. with speding 6-8 hrs a day, I even threw all I had out there too, but couldn't get a single bite over a pound :wallbash:

my sm mth.jpg

The water temps ranged from 68-74 depending on time of day and varying cloud cover and as for the bass, I was finding them in waters ranging from 8 ft - 15 ft with previous mentioned conditions.

With same temps. I was finding, what I assume were 'eyes, given my known hot spot holds them, suspending around 17-20 in water that jumped from 27-15 ft of water.

Didn't even attempt the long haul to the musky waters given the said motor troubles.

Oh well , it's really late and its up in 4 and half hrs to try my luck at Burwell with the boys so heres hoping I can get something a little more exciting for everyone here lol.

Yeah, it's better then sitting at home doing nothing too

I am on kash now. Half way thru a two week stay.

The fishing is very tough this year!!!!!!

Got a few walleye, where I got tons last year. Getting one every third evening:(

Got a thick 46"Muskie and two small ones after about 8 hrs casting. I only fish the deeper waters for the biggies though. Saw a few other high 40" fish.

The smallimouth fishing here sucks. Sorry but it is true. A few of my tourney friends hate when there are tournaments on this lake. We r getting decent numbers of 1 a 2 pounders - just enough to keep kids interested.

The kids are havin a great time and the weather is nice.

Landry