New Drop Shot Rod...?

Fishing as an amateur in the CSFL Canadian Open this year in a few weeks. Really excited about how much I'll learn.

I don't have a good drop shot rod, and I'd be glad for input as to what some good options are. Happy to get a good quality rod, and open to suggestions as to a good reel to match it with also.

Lastly, I've heard many using flouro on spinning reels...any opinions out there on that? I was planning to use 8-10lb braid (nanofil or 832) and a flouro leader for the combination of feel/clarity...glad to hear views on that.

Thanks. Happy opener this weekend!

Depends on what you want to spend.

A good drop shot rod is around 7' ML with a extra fast tip.

As for line I would go with braid and and a flouro leader for my drop shot leaders I use 6lbs flouro.

Again for the reel, depends on what your willing to spend. I have a Pfluguer supreme XT and its a great reel.

Hope that helps. For the rod brand I am 100% a St. Croix all the way. That is just me, I am sure that others will have great thoughts on other brands.

less than $200 - G Loomis DSR 820, Shimano Crucial Drop Shot, Daiwa Fuego 6'10ML, Dobyns Savvy 702SF, St Croix Avid

$200 ~ $299 - Dobyns Champion 701SF

$300 ~ $399 - G Loomis DSR 820 GLX, St Croix Legend Elite 7' ML

$400+ Gloomis DSR822 NRX, Daiwa Steez 6'11 Megatop

best bang for the buck would be the Fuego 6'10ML, Lebaron might still have it in stock for $140... call the stores and check.. the rod costed $230 originally

As for reel, I would grab a Daiwa Fuego from Tackle Warehouse on closeout for $139.99, if you buy their gift cards now, you can get an additional 15% off the reel... the reel originally costed $299.99

My other choice would be the Stradic FJ..

Edited by ah_long

I have a gloomis gl2 drop shot rod and I really like it. I could feel light walleye biteis spring when everyone around was getting skunked. I kept saying they are biting light, but noone else around me could catch any. I had my limit. Also used it at the end of the season last year for bass and was very happy with it. Can hardly wait to get it out this year.

Very nice rods mentioned so far at those prices. For a great value have a look at the BPS extreme and carbonlite series. I own several extremes and find they compare in sensitivity to much higher $ rods

Edited by Fang

check member "stoty" here, he sells some nice ones...

I'll agree with that one! lol

If you haven't checked them out... look at the "Big Bear" rods!

They are amazing! I just got my new Big Bear dropshot rod (7ft, ML) and it's AMAZING.

Their handles are by far superior to any that I've used before.

Big Bear Spinning Rods

Edit - link added

Edited by Stoty

I just got a Crucial drop shot rod and I am stoked to try it.

ML is what I always used and worked great but there were the times that it was a bit to soft and setting hook and keeping enough pressure while the fish came up was a bit of a pain.

So I hope this Crucial is a better rod.

If u wanna spend, g loomis NRX can't be beat. Wanna spend a bit less, a g loomis GLX, if u wanna get a great rod for a good price, G loomis GL2. I have one, awesome rod. Little whippy in the tip, but that can help on very light bites as it helps set the hook for u.

Crucial is another great rod. I run straight 8lb flouro. On a stradic CI4

Medium extra fast for me as well in the gl2. I want a bit more oompf when big largie or smallie makes a run into some weeds its nice to have the back bone to pull it out and cut those weeds at the root. Also when a largie over 5 pounds runs under the boat...and the big ones almost always do... you want to be able to turn its head

Edited by jedimaster

Hate running braid to flouro, no need for the extra knots. My personal opinion, medium/light rods, may lack the power for bigger smallies. I go meduim power, xtra fast tip. 6'10" length.

Yea I know what you mean about the ML. As for the line being tied and the knots getting in the way, I haven't jad any problems. I had more problems with straight flouro, it was a pain in the ass when you were drop shotting on windy days. May just be me but O found this way better and didn't have to keep fixing the line lol.

I always spray blakemore reel magic on my line the nite before I fish. Helps a lot with the line conditioner on it to reduce the memory. I've run braid to flouro, and caught fish. But, that's the beauty of the sport, everyone has their own preference and comfort zone, and as long as it works for u, no one can tell u its wrong!