looking for rod carring ideas

skinny

hey there been some time since I posted.

I finally have a new daily driver it's a 1994 toyota 4 runner. This replaced a ford pickup that I use to just put rods in the box and away I went.

the 4 runner is a bit different as it is all inside I would like to not break down the rods all the time. For that matter my newest rod is one piece.

so I'm looking for ideas on how to store rods in or on the suv

I had thought about a 3" tube on roof rack but that would only hold 1 and I wasn't sure how to keep them from sliding inside.

anyway roof top or nice inside storage which ever

let me hear see your ideas

There are lots of hard case options available at multiple stores. Some are telescoping. I've tried a few and no one case worked for all my different needs. I started making my own with pvc pipe from a hardware store (as others here have done). You can cut it to suit, and it comes in different diameters. I can make 3 for the price of one store bought rod case. It does not really require any special tools (hack saw) or skills either (ability to use a tape measure). :thumbsup_anim:

:Gonefishing:

It's not just the rods that get broken while traveling. It's the "bruises" and bent/broken guides that they can get as well. No guarantees either way, but the odds can be more in your favour if you use a case. I spend hard earned (well, moderately hard earned) cash on my rods. I expect them to last. Thirty dollars in plumbing pipe is cheap insurance/peace of mind.

Edited by kickingfrog

A friend of mine designed a system to fit inside his vehicle at the roof line. If I remember correctly he had a piece of plywood with large holes drilled through it to place the handles in and a second piece with smaller holes for the tips. he secured these with " L " brackets screwed into the plastic molding at the roof line. Seemed to work great for him, but my wife said no way.

All oof my fly fishing guide friends use the same thing. ;)

This is the Deluxe version. :)

I like the looks of both of those, but it may be worthwhile to read the reviews as it seems they are not compatible with all vehicles and I believe 4-runners were specifically mentioned.

There are some good ideas in here which I think I may borrow, especially the Cabela's product that attaches to the garment hooks. I use some dollar store velcro bands there are flexible. I wrap them around a few rods top and bottom to secure them together firmly. I fit over a $5 bass pro rod cover. You can fit 3-5 rods inside one cover depending on how buig the guides are. This keeps them from getting caught on anything. Then I simply lay the rods flat between the seats in the car. My fiance has a Honda Fit which is a compact car but with the hatch open we can easy slide a 7.5ft muskie rod from end to end. The tips sit on the dash between us and the rods are well protected.

I do this only rarely now that I have my pickup but it worked well for me for a long time.

Cheers,

Millhouse