I agree with Sqiud!!!

I'll get shot for this, but here it goes. The problem is this countries government..

We let these great big ocean liners enter our waterways and let them dump thier ballast releasing

hitch hikers from other countries in our water ways.

If our governemt had 1/2 a brain there would be legislation to prevent this act with serious concequences. The ships should be forced to hold the ballast until it is a safe distance from our ports

or to dump long before they are in our ports. So they either come in full or empty either way we could tell if they were dumped near our waterways.

I call for fines large enough to hurt the parent companies and jail time 10+ years for capitans of these vessels that dump in our ports.

As for the people that sparked this conversation. 1 answer JAIL TIME!!!, FINES!!! and confiscation of the vehicle used to get there, fines against the person & business.

So sick our weak laws and governemt!!!

AMEN! :good:

A growing body of psychology research shows that incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognize their own incompetence. To put it bluntly, dumb people are too dumb to know it. Similarly, unfunny people don't have a good enough sense of humor to tell.

...need i say more!!!!

Recent Psychology research also shows that smart people are more susceptible to cognitive bias/taking mental shortcuts when they draw conclusions... aka smart people are dumb, need I say more.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/daniel-kahneman-bias-studies.html

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I'll get shot for this, but here it goes. The problem is this countries government..

We let these great big ocean liners enter our waterways and let them dump thier ballast releasing

hitch hikers from other countries in our water ways.

If our governemt had 1/2 a brain there would be legislation to prevent this act with serious concequences. The ships should be forced to hold the ballast until it is a safe distance from our ports

or to dump long before they are in our ports. So they either come in full or empty either way we could tell if they were dumped near our waterways.

As far as I know there was legislation, but during the 80s (if I recall correctly) it wasn't being enforced due to cutbacks. I believe that a government inspector was required to board incoming ships and ensure that ballast water was dumped at sea before coming down the St. Lawrence. At least, that's what I've heard, but others may have better info.

But don't worry about more horror stories coming from our government, they are now enacting measures to prevent you from hearing such things: Parks Canada staff banned from criticizing Feds

Read your link-----Ya gotta love it Dave---Did'nt we fight against dictators and censorship in WW2?

Which coincidently why the National Roundtable on the Environment got turfed-----they did'nt say what Harps wanted to hear

Edited by bushart

There is not necessarily a straight line between education, intelligence and wisdom.

:thumbsup_anim:

That seems to be getting around. I coined it years ago as Bailey's Second Law: There is no direct relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

Bailey's First Law states: Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father. :P

Although I have read the whole series of posts on this subject, (several times) the amount of the fines, where the fish were dumped, the names of the offenders . . . . I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN WHAT SPECIES OF FISH WERE DUMPED? Rainbows? Salmon? Bass? Snakehead? Silver carp? Grass carp? If they WERE Asian carp, snakehead or grass carp we REALLY have a problem! If they were bass, trout, perch etc., other than the fact they could be infected with SOMETHING, they PROBABLY won't do any HARM! WERE the kind of fish that were illegally 'dumped' identified? Just WHAT were they?

Although I have read the whole series of posts on this subject, (several times) the amount of the fines, where the fish were dumped, the names of the offenders . . . . I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN WHAT SPECIES OF FISH WERE DUMPED? Rainbows? Salmon? Bass? Snakehead? Silver carp? Grass carp? If they WERE Asian carp, snakehead or grass carp we REALLY have a problem! If they were bass, trout, perch etc., other than the fact they could be infected with SOMETHING, they PROBABLY won't do any HARM! WERE the kind of fish that were illegally 'dumped' identified? Just WHAT were they?

Does'nt matter---a waltz thru the fishing regs is very exact about transferring "ANY" species from one body of water to the next

To the point about having live fish in a livewell in transport home

IF these fish were indeed farmed---may come with a whole gambit of issues on wild stocks

@bushart - it's a term from Nineteen Eighty-Four. Just seems to me that our democratically elected representatives and their policies are becoming more Orwellian by the day...

And I'd be interested in knowing what species that couple released as well, although it's true that it doesn't really matter from a legal standpoint as they weren't released into their native water in any case. Hopefully they were few enough and small enough that they ended up being nothing more than an exotic and tasty treat for the local residents...

We've got plenty of laws and don't really need more of them. We just need to work with what we have and enforce them properly. If there is a lack of enforcement staff, hire some more, the fines they generate will propbably pay their wages and also take a chunk out of the deficit (or end up in someone's pocket LOL).

:thumbsup_anim:

That seems to be getting around. I coined it years ago as Bailey's Second Law: There is no direct relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

Bailey's First Law states: Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father. :P

Maybe we had the same grade 8 teacher 30 odd years ago?

This is off the radio website in Dryden Ontario

Strong Turnout For Protest On Closure Of ELA

By Mike Ebbeling - June 15th, 2012 - 9:08am

About 90-people converged on Kenora MP Greg Rickford's Dryden office yesterday in a noisy protest.

They were out to protest Bill C-38, which passed in the House of Commons overnight.

Those in attendance were most upset about cuts to environmental programs and the closure of the Experimental Lakes area west of Dryden.

Dale MacKenzie says the Federal Government is more like a dictatorship and Rickford should be held accountable.

MacKenzie says the ELA is a world class research facility and says the Feds can afford the $600,000s to keep the facility running.

MacKenzie says the way Bill C-38 was handled was "un-democratic" and that voters are getting cranky.

Rickford was in Ottawa.

The reality is there is no legal political means to stop Bill C38... The reality is that if the Liberals didn't force feed in the Gun registry the Con's would not have a Majority. Of course the NDP's had several chances to join with a minority govt to squash that, as well the liberals could have also voted the registry down as well, but they all were in it for there own good as well.

The reality?

There will be no riots, there will be no revolt, there will be no buses turned over or cars set on fire, the Govt will not be overthrown by the public, there will be no stopping this bill. Its funny how the Canucks losing in the playoffs can cause a riot but something like this just goes by with people shaking there fists in the air. So I suggest everyone just sit back and eat your TV Dinner.

The reality?

There will be no riots, there will be no revolt, there will be no buses turned over or cars set on fire, the Govt will not be overthrown by the public, there will be no stopping this bill. Its funny how the Canucks losing in the playoffs can cause a riot but something like this just goes by with people shaking there fists in the air. So I suggest everyone just sit back and eat your KRAFT Dinner.

Thanks jedimaster...you have been Quoted on my facebook page with the exception of "TV Dinner"

After all KRAFT DINNER is Candiana at its best too

The reality is there is no legal political means to stop Bill C38... The reality is that if the Liberals didn't force feed in the Gun registry the Con's would not have a Majority. Of course the NDP's had several chances to join with a minority govt to squash that, as well the liberals could have also voted the registry down as well, but they all were in it for there own good as well.

The reality?

There will be no riots, there will be no revolt, there will be no buses turned over or cars set on fire, the Govt will not be overthrown by the public, there will be no stopping this bill. Its funny how the Canucks losing in the playoffs can cause a riot but something like this just goes by with people shaking there fists in the air. So I suggest everyone just sit back and eat your TV Dinner.

No there will not be be a riot---but these points should be noted for the next election so we cannot claim that ignorance is bliss

Notes like this C38 that gutted environment and fisheries protection like a deer---items not campaigned on

Don't recall the talk of oas hittin 67 in the last campaign

I guess when Harpo sat at the piano and sang a little help from my friends---he was eluding to Enbridge and Suncor

Eat that tv dinner

No there will not be be a riot---but these points should be noted for the next election so we cannot claim that ignorance is bliss

Notes like this C38 that gutted environment and fisheries protection like a deer---items not campaigned on

Don't recall the talk of oas hittin 67 in the last campaign

I guess when Harpo sat at the piano and sang a little help from my friends---he was eluding to Enbridge and Suncor

Eat that tv dinner

You do know that a lot of people work for those companies? Im sure when for decades all of our other governments were pandering to say the car manufacturers you were equally as bothered. Speaking of bother, why do you? I must have missed the government that only ever enacted laws on things the explicitly said they were going to during the election campaign.

They are stopping the funding of the ELP,it is hoped that somebody else will take it over,lots of locals veiw the area as a huge waste of taxpayer dollars run by empire building scientists.

If it is so important to the entire world perhaps it should be funded by the UN.

You do know that a lot of people work for those companies? Im sure when for decades all of our other governments were pandering to say the car manufacturers you were equally as bothered. Speaking of bother, why do you? I must have missed the government that only ever enacted laws on things the explicitly said they were going to during the election campaign.

Have'nt seen the gov't yet that actively went out of their way to target the environment and fisheries for a greed driven agenda like this one

Have many gone south on promises---you bet

But stealing tax dollars we never see is one thing----neglecting fisheries is another and DOES directly affect me

Fish---remember why we're here

That's why I bother---and more should

Thanks jedimaster...you have been Quoted on my facebook page with the exception of "TV Dinner"

After all KRAFT DINNER is Candiana at its best too

Glad you enjoyed...Thats about as close as I get to enciting riot. lol. Hopefully things work out for the best.

Have'nt seen the gov't yet that actively went out of their way to target the environment and fisheries for a greed driven agenda like this one

Have many gone south on promises---you bet

But stealing tax dollars we never see is one thing----neglecting fisheries is another and DOES directly affect me

Fish---remember why we're here

That's why I bother---and more should

X2