Pike flies ?

misfish

What would you pike fly fisher guys recommend? Im sure a tippet is not required,I,ll be using about a 10ft,20lb floro leader. Or is that to light?

Just putting this out, to pick the brains of some of the ones that are in the know. I plan on fishing them this sunday on a local river.

I thank all for helping. :clapping::canadian:

I,ll be using about a 10ft,20lb floro leader

You might want to add 8 or 10 inches of single-strand wire to the end of that 20 pound. That is, unless you really like having your flies sliced off without even feeling the fish. I'm just saying .....

As far as flies go, it depends on the size of the pike. For anything over about 5 pounds, go big -- eight inch rabbit-strip streamers are not too big, nor are 10-inch Dahlberg Divers. They soak up a lot of water, and it's kind of like trying to cast a wet squirrel, so forget "technique" and just "chuck and duck."

Don't forget the duck part.

And don't worry about the flies being too big. That's pretty much impossible.

Oh - and for what it's worth, the little snot rocket muskie in my avatar was caught on a Dahlberg Diver. It's great fun!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

You will want heavier tippet than 20# I use 40# minimum and go as heavy as 60#.

I use a 7 1/2' 0x (13#) tapered mono leader with 2' of flouro tippet.

Or if I tie my own leaders it's 3.5' of 40# followed by 2.5' of 30# then 1.5' of 20# and finally 2' of flouro.

I really like bunny flies for pike.

Here are a couple of my favorites.

All are 3/0 to 5/0.

P1230237.jpg

P1230244.jpg

P1230239.jpg

P1230236.jpg

You might want to add 8 or 10 inches of single-strand wire to the end of that 20 pound.

How would I tie that Craig?

Dave,those are sweet bud. When Im retrieving them,am I pulling in a fast or slow jerk motion? Or just try different speeds?

I cant wait for bass opener WB.

Edited by Misfish

I have a couple of those big furry ones as well but found them very aerodynamically challenging to cast ;) course, it's been a few years since I hauled line. I'm trying this for pike leaders cuz I'm not great at making leaders ;) Can't remember if I got it at LeBarons or Wilson's Fly Fishing in Toronto.

I think I posted this before but it's what got me amped to try and go after pike again. Hhink you'll like the way the pike hits the flies in this video Brian.

this is my favourite you tube video,

but if you want some great video check out jazz and fly fishing, they're a Scandinavian group, who published this awesome tv show.

That was a great vid to watch.

Thanks

Here are a few I tied for this weekend. I will be using them for pike as well.

Hopefully they work.

2012-06-08174120.jpg

2012-06-08174246.jpg

I was planning on using 25# flouro leader. Maybe I will have to change that.

SWEET. Willing to ship some? I will pay. :canadian:

As others mentioned, bunny strips work great. Ive also had success with big bucktail flies but they arent the most durable.

Heavy fluoro or steel is mandatory.

I start off with fast strips cause an active pike will usually hit a fly in a hurry. I slow down after a couple casts if no fish strike.

Fly fishing for esox is one of the most exciting types of fishing ive done and Im sure it will continue to gain popularity. Good luck with the gators.

Ive also had success with big bucktail flies but they arent the most durable.

I made a few from the end of a deer tail. Theres a small section that will disconnect from the tail. I used it on a spinning reel. They get destroyed real fast.

How would I tie that Craig?

Easiest route with single strand wire is to form a loop at each end using a Haywire Twist. Bend the wire about six or eight inches from its end to form a 180 degree loop. Slide on the fly, then wrap the tag end over the main line in four or five evenly spaced twists, then finish by twisting it several more times, but now with the wraps butted up against each other (google it - there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to tie it). You tie the other end of the leader the same way, just leave it as a loop that you tie your line to.

Being so light weight, this works great for buzzbaits too, by the way.

Buy stainless steel wire from BPS, Le Baron, or any bigger fishing store. The leaders usually only last for one or two fish before they kink like crazy, but you won't lose any - guaranteed.

Easiest route with single strand wire is to form a loop at each end using a Haywire Twist. Bend the wire about six or eight inches from its end to form a 180 degree loop. Slide on the fly, then wrap the tag end over the main line in four or five evenly spaced twists, then finish by twisting it several more times, but now with the wraps butted up against each other (google it - there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to tie it). You tie the other end of the leader the same way, just leave it as a loop that you tie your line to.

Being so light weight, this works great for buzzbaits too, by the way.

Buy stainless steel wire from BPS, Le Baron, or any bigger fishing store. The leaders usually only last for one or two fish before they kink like crazy, but you won't lose any - guaranteed.

I am going to have to try that myself, sounds like a good approach.

I don't use a fly rod but toss out pike flies with spinning gear. I have been using the tie-able leader from TyGar and Cortland. So far it's worked fine, but I haven't hooked into anything >30" yet.

What would you pike fly fisher guys recommend? Im sure a tippet is not required,I,ll be using about a 10ft,20lb floro leader. Or is that to light?

Just putting this out, to pick the brains of some of the ones that are in the know. I plan on fishing them this sunday on a local river.

I thank all for helping. :clapping::canadian:

Leader IMO is ify, even for small fish. An option is too use a single strand or steel leader in the 10-30lb range depending on the fish you're after. An albright knot will hold it nicely and you could probably get away with just a 6-8 inch leader. It'll cast fine, always did for me.

Pike flies are quite simple, and many. But ya don't need much really as a couple bucktail streamers, Deceivers, rabbit strip leeches and wooly buggers will get the job done. Could even add some bass popper type flies if you want. Probably only used the fly rod for pike a dozen or more times over the years, but the two best flies were a 4-5 inch streamer with white bucktail over red saddle and, a 3-inch yellow/white rabbit strip with dumbbell eyes for weight (kinda like a Crazy Charlie just with fur)

Good luck. There aren't many times that flies won't out-produce conventional lures.