Another used vehicle question

Cosmos

Hi guys,

I would like to get some output on Hyundai Santa FE 2005 or 2006 model. How does it work for you?

My sister is owner of Tucson 2011, she is really happy with her car, and it's really nice car in my opinion.

But how older models are doing?

I was looking on V6 2.7l AWD model. I am not concerned about towing, because my 14 footer is pretty light and i am towing it with my Pontiac.

It's more like a family car.

I did search and most people are pretty happy with those cars. But i don't know anyone who owns Santa Fe and can tell me good and bad things about that car.

thanks

Haha. Hyundai bashing. The pony was a long time ago. Great article, and i agree in principal. The comments after are accurate as well, the advertised price is seldom within shouting distance of the final price.

Have you read online reviews from actual owners of these vehicles or are you just looking for opinions based on water cooler talk at the office?

Ive heard that the more modern hyundais are much better than their rightfully maligned earlier efforts.

That being said, my barbers sister has a cousin that says her accountant had one that was in the shop all the time.

Seriously, my sister actually had one, of the era you refer to, and it was a nightmare. Had an unsolvable gremlin that caused a no start conditoon for the life of the lease. Dealer support/ understanding was pretty poor...just one example however...

Good luck to you.

Haha. Hyundai bashing. The pony was a long time ago. Great article, and i agree in principal. The comments after are accurate as well, the advertised price is seldom within shouting distance of the final price.

Have you read online reviews from actual owners of these vehicles or are you just looking for opinions based on water cooler talk at the office?

Ive heard that the more modern hyundais are much better than their rightfully maligned earlier efforts.

That being said, my barbers sister has a cousin that says her accountant had one that was in the shop all the time.

Seriously, my sister actually had one, of the era you refer to, and it was a nightmare. Had an unsolvable gremlin that caused a no start conditoon for the life of the lease. Dealer support/ understanding was pretty poor...just one example however...

Good luck to you.

thanks for comments,

I did read some information before posting that topic here. i just want to get output from people who are currently driving Hyundai.

thanks for comments,

I did read some information before posting that topic here. i just want to get output from people who are currently driving Hyundai.

My Family Fleet:

2008 Hyundai VeraCruz, my tow vehicle (just bought out the lease, was my company car)

2006 Hyndai Elantra

2004 Hyundai Accent

1997 Hyundai Accent (soon to be replaced with a 2013 Sonata/SanteFe).

I don't work for Hyundai but my Outlaw (SIL'd Dad) does.

I have owned/leased in the past:

Pontiac Grand Prix (GTP)

Chevrolet Malibu

Acura Integra

Toyota Camry

Ford Taurus

Honda Civic

Ford Mustang

Volvo 244 DL (my first car)

Hyundai is my vehicle of choice. One of the best vehicles currently being manufactured.

If you're interested in dealing with an absolutely honest sales guy and buying a Hyundai, PM me and I'll send you the contact info.

had a tiburon with a 2.7l v6 and drove the snot out of it for 527000 km before being wrote off in a collision, would still be driving it otherwise, never really had any major issues with it couple wheel bearings power window motor buy another in a second.

currently have a 2010 accent for a run around car so far has 70k no issues with it

Santa Fe = GAS GUZZLER....just saying !!!

I think that may be an over statement...

My F150 FX4 is a gas guzzler

To the OP

My inlaws had a santa fe and we used it a few times... Pretty nice vehicle... And can't remember any major issues...

They just got a Tuscan and its even nicer....

No technical info from me... But as far as comfort and handling... Thumbs up from me... And I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall...

I had a 2005 Front wheel drive, 2.7 v6. Bought it new. I had two major issues - all revolving around the timing belt. Had it changed at 90 k as per the manual Always serviced by a dealer. At 124 it failed. Zero intereference engine = big damage. Even though it was outside of warranty, Hyundai picked up all but a few 100 bucks of the costs. The dealer who serviced it at the original change was no longer a dealer and of no support at all, but my local dealer spoke with Hyundai and they stepped up when a lot of manufacturers wouldn't. I was impressed. At 142 I had a major engine failure on the way back from Huntsville. This time I was on my own. Cost me a $500 tow and 3k for a used engine. I am confident that the main motor bearing was damaged in the first break down and this was not replaced and that is what caused the second failure (I heard it going the day we started heading home and had my fingers crossed - worked as far as Barrie)

I did not buy a Hyundai this time - but that is mostly because they dont have a pick-up. I drove the snot out of that little buggy, and traded it in at 215,000 and it was still going strong with no other replacements or breakdowns (actually I saw it just this week with the new owner still going strong) . I towed my 16 fter with it the last year and it did a heck of a lot better than I thought. In those 215,000 ks - only replaced the brake pads once. No rotors. No other maintenance or repairs other than an oil change. No rust on it. And one of the best winter driving vehicles I have ever driven - and I was commuting to Stratford for 3 years with it - many times I was one of the few vehicles that could get in and out of town during the winter - and I had all seasons on, no snows, only front wheel drive as I said. Compared to the GMC venture I had before (lower control arms at 90 k, paint on the roof, on the hood, intake manifolds, head gasket, rotten rocker arms, failed sliding door etc etc etc) the engine costs were actually way smaller.

Just make sure the timing belt has been changed as required. It is NOT a family vehicle - too small. Oh - and as far as mileage goes - reasonable. I crunched the numbers when I bought it. Compared to the Highlander and driving 150 k a day to work and back - over $50.00 in gas cheaper - and that was when gas was $1.00 a litre.

Haha. Hyundai bashing. The pony was a long time ago.

LOL. One of my family friends in Nova Scotia bought the original (Canadian) Pony when it came out in the early '80s. It began to rust within a month of purchase.

I test-drove the Tucson (fully loaded with nav) last year and was really impressed with it. Ended up going for a different car altogether but it made it into my final 3. I only have a single-car garage so the Santa Fe was a bit big for our needs. The new redesigned line of Hyundais are pretty nice vehicles overall.

Edited by jigsnreels

Hi guys,

I would like to get some output on Hyundai Santa FE 2005 or 2006 model. How does it work for you?

My sister is owner of Tucson 2011, she is really happy with her car, and it's really nice car in my opinion.

But how older models are doing?

I was looking on V6 2.7l AWD model. I am not concerned about towing, because my 14 footer is pretty light and i am towing it with my Pontiac.

It's more like a family car.

I did search and most people are pretty happy with those cars. But i don't know anyone who owns Santa Fe and can tell me good and bad things about that car.

thanks

I guess you could say I am now a loyal Hyundai buyer. Always liked the Santa Fe, and started looking at one in 2010. But ended up, going with the Veracruz. It has a little bit bigger motor, but otherwise is pretty comparable (we liked the 3rd row seating it offered).

I have been towing my boat with it, and have been pretty impressed. It is 18 foot smokercraft pro mag. Weight would be just under 2000 pounds. Veracruz has no issue towing/braking. Pretty sure with what you mentioned a Santa Fe will pull it no problem (Particularly if you go AWD).

2nd Car - 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Traded my Honda for it (I was...a big Honda Fan...still am...but their price point has to come down).

The only thing I might suggest is looking at a new Santa Fe. Hyundai is pretty agressive in their pricing. You might be able to swing a pretty good deal, and get full warranty at the same time...always a nice thing. Not sure where you live, but I can direct you to a good dealer...that is willing to deal.