Fly Fishing Help

Broker

Went out on the river tonight after 2 weeks of practising casting in the backyard. Thought I was doing well for until a fish hit , and another , and another and ended up having my fly taken under atleast 7 times. didnt get one fish on. so my question is, when a fish takes the fly under what do i do ? Set the hook ? new to this so any tips would be great help

Yup, setting the hook might help. Although with a flyrod it's not like you've gotta drive the hook into their brains. Just lift up on the rod and you should be good.

Edited by BillM

Also may have been chubs. Sometimes they hit flies but aren't big enough to actually eat them.

LOL I was chubb fly fishing on the weekend.LOL

Yes the chubb will hit the fly. I was surprised at some. They would hit as soon as the fly hit the water. Very aggrasive.

Based on your description you were fishing dry flies and susequently had fish strike and take your fly under?

Many many times fish simply prefer to eat flies sub surface, whether it's because they're keying on emergers or for some other unfathomable reason.

Sometimes what appears to be a strike is often the fish slapping at the fly with it's tail or possibly nudging it with its snout to submerge it where they can suck it in at their leisure.

In such instances the obvious answer is use a sub surface fly, usually a nymph of some type.

Alternatively when your dry fly disappears in a showy splash count to three then slowly raise the rod and set the hook. You need to give them a bit more time to eat your fly when they're doing this.

The ultimate example of this for me occurred many years ago when fly fishing for whitefish. I missed over a dozen spectacular hits before it dawned on me what was happening. The whitefish were indeed keying on the mayflies on the surface. But because of their underslung mouth were coming up and submerging the fly with their noses, then sucking them in underwater.

After I figured that out I had to force myself to wait before the lifting the rod...a very hard thing to do...but it worked. I started hooking fish hand over fist.

Alternatively when your dry fly disappears in a showy splash count to three then slowly raise the rod and set the hook. You need to give them a bit more time to eat your fly when they're doing this.

The ultimate example of this for me occurred many years ago when fly fishing for whitefish. I missed over a dozen spectacular hits before it dawned on me what was happening. The whitefish were indeed keying on the mayflies on the surface. But because of their underslung mouth were coming up and submerging the fly with their noses, then sucking them in underwater.

After I figured that out I had to force myself to wait before the lifting the rod...a very hard thing to do...but it worked. I started hooking fish hand over fist.

Same here, especially when I was younger and reflexes were faster, would set the hook when the fish broke surface and pull the fly away from it, my solution was to foucus on the nail knot joining the leader to the fly line and only strike after it moved .

I can almost garuntee that if you are fishing abobe the dunnville dam towards york and caledonia that it is mooneye that are taking the flies. I have been down a few times and some gentlemen that were fly fishing were catching tons of them, said they go down there often as his brother was just learning.

Yeah but I am trying to figure out fly fishing and catch my first fish on a fly rod

Some like to do it the easy way Shasta :whistling:

Good on ya for sticking to the fly. Im a newbi as well. It,s a blast. Rewarding when you can get something on a fly.

Some like to do it the easy way Shasta :whistling:

Good on ya for sticking to the fly. Im a newbi as well. It,s a blast. Rewarding when you can get something on a fly.

I saw your first fly catch, she's a beauty! don't think mine will be as pretty..