Seasonal Boat Dockage

I can understand your reasoning for wanting a slip at a marina; like you said jump in and go. But mooring a14 footer is kind of a waste because they are so versatile and easy to launch. Then there are some extra things you’re going to need to make sure the boat and its contents stay safe.

One would be a good quality automatic bilge pump, something you can have some faith in that it’ll come on during a rain storm while you’re in bed at home. A good mooring cover, too keep prying eyes off of your stuff and to help keep the rain out as well.

Transom/motor locks, being a 14 footer you likely don’t have much more then a 20-30 horse motor; they can be carried away very easily. Then what’s the security going to be like at the marina; a 14 footer could easily be floated out without to many people noticing. You didn’t say whether you have a trailer for the boat; but if you do, where are you going to store it; your laneway?

If having the boat at home is being a pain space wise what about a storage facility; where they rent outside storage space? The boat will be out of your way, on dry ground and likely inside a security compound. Yes if thieves want it, it doesn’t matter where you store it; sad.

I just looked up U-haul and they offer a canopy covered 10X20X99 for $45.00 a month and you can likely find cheaper places then U-Haul to rent from. A lot of the towing (automotive tow truck) companies have large compounds that most times sit half empty. You might be able to strike up a deal with one local to you?

Dan.

Edited by DanD

My neighbor keeps his 15' boat with 25 HP motor docked at a marina at Burliegh Falls for $600 a season just to give an idea of price, although I don't know if the price is typical or not.

Ya you make some good points, I did install a bilge pump with a float in case it rains I don't have a cover for it. Some of the marinas have coded gate access to enter on to their docks, although that doesn't prevent someone from coming up to it by water. It has just a 15 hp Merc pad locked on it, so even still could still be easily stolen. $600 does seem to be the going rate, just considering it for now, definitely don't want it stolen and would prefer to just deal with moving a few vehicles around to get it in and out of the driveway rather then paying for dry storage. Lots to consider I guess...

Another option may be storing the boat and trailer at a farm in the area you normally like to fish. Farms all over the place have signs advertising outdoor storage and it would be far cheaper than a marina and may be somewhat more secure also just for the fact that there's normally someone living there.

Until just 3 years ago I stored my boat INSIDE a barn all winter long for only $150 a YEAR.

Just something else to think about.

Another option may be storing the boat and trailer at a farm in the area you normally like to fish. Farms all over the place have signs advertising outdoor storage and it would be far cheaper than a marina and may be somewhat more secure also just for the fact that there's normally someone living there.

Until just 3 years ago I stored my boat INSIDE a barn all winter long for only $150 a YEAR.

Just something else to think about.

+1

Buddy stored his at a farmers place down the street from his favorite lake... Cheaper option vs storing in a slip.. will be 600+ anywhere you go

Another option, not yet mentioned, would be to look for someone with a garage in your area that no longer needs it for their car and willing to rent it out. My mother allowed a friend of mine to store his boat in her garage after I sold my boat which I stored their after she lost her driving licence due to age.

You might try Goreski's on Lake Scugog. Haven't been there in a while, but one year set up a tent/screen tent next to the water and rented dock space for a couple of months. It was a bit pricey but nice having the boat tied up and ready to go as well as a restaurant and other facilities handy. No vandalism/theft that I remember at the time, but did see a few untended boats that were stern down with rain water - make sure you visit frequently in case your bilge pump goes. I would not count on any marina owner to keep an eye out for your boat.

Also, did lose some boat bumpers at another marina - might help if you 'melted' the attaching rope to help prevent a quick borrowing of them.

Edited by blue pickeral

Another option is Sandy Beach Trailer court on Balsam lake

The have docks or pull up spots

$395 for a dock $80 for a pull up

Access to the docks is limited and it's safe

Our family has had boats there for 40 years without issue

Can't comment on availability though

Gordy