carp fishing from a kayak

jediangler

Went down to Snider's flats by the Grand river to try out my kayak and several new upgrades that I've added since last year. I put larger wheels on my kayak cart which made the 1km walk from the car to the ponds a breeze. I fished for 2hrs from 1pm - 3pm for crappie with a small jig before I got a hit. When I set the hook I knew I didn't have a crappie on. It dogged down deep and pulled me around for ten minutes before I could get it to the surface. That's when I found I had tail hooked a 31" carp. I landed it and needed the pliers to get the hook out. I then used my new camera mount to take a pic before releasing it back unharmed. I estimated it somewhere between 12-15lbs. Maybe some experienced carp guys can make a more accurate guess.

123098.jpg

I had a blast with this fish and may consider trying for carp again from the yak.

lol

u should have kept her as a pet

and take her out when you go out in your kayak lol

Must have been fun getting pulled around

i remember back in the days going out in rubber dingys and getting pulled around by big northern pike

Nice catch

Thanks all. That really was as much fun as I've had in the kayak.

Roy all you have to do is ask my wife, she'll tell you how childish I can be.

TbayBoy there's nothing like kayak fishing. If you get a chance, give it a try. It's like wearing a pair of chest waders that go in all depths of water.

bookoobeast when I get out again I'll take some pics of the camera mount. It is made up of hockey sticks a peanut butter jar and parts of two different tripods.

Also I was using the new Fireline Crystal line and really liked it, very sensative and strong. I was using 10lb test that has 4lb diameter.