Crankbait rods

aaro7940

Both my brother and I bought new crankbait rods at the end of last year - and so far are very impressed

I bought a 7 foot St Croix Mojo Bass crankbait rod - got it at JB's Fishing Depot in TO for $99

My brother bought a 7 foot Shimano Compre Crankbait rod at Bass Pro for $114

One thing to consider...

Do you do the "bass master" hook sets?

Cause if not you can go to a stiffer rod and then you have better ability to rip cranks through weeds and once hooked you'll have more backbone for those beefy bass...

Also what line are you gunna use?

If mono... Then again a stiffer rod is better... If braid... Well the I softer rod os better...

Also... Weight of baits...

A softer rod generally can cast light baits farther...

I have some expensive and some cheap ones, but being a crankbait rod I like the flex I get from my St.Croix Mojo Bass Crankbait rod. Plenty supple enough to allow me to use braid without ripping the hooks out. And its pretty cheap. The TC4 shimano rods also make good crankbait rods.

I am not a big fan of the bass pro rods for crankbaits because i find them too stiff but i love the St. Croix crankbait rods, they're really light but still have enough backbone to horse them out of the weeds and logs.

I bought a Rapala Team Issue 7'1" crankin' rod this year and it is excellent. Very light, and have noticed a definite increase in my casting distance from the 6'6" I was using before. If you're casting a lot of light bass cranks, make sure whatever rod you decide to get has a light, moderate action tip so you can load the rod up and still get good distance out of light baits.