Oops

hammercarp

The entire reason why they have an electrical barrier is because a physical barrier has been shot down by the US government over and over.

I agree, physical barrier would be much better. Let's hope these parasites don't make it into the great lakes (Although I'm sure they already have)

Theyre trying to determine if any carp were near the barriers at the time. How much do you think this will cost?

There's not much that they can do to stop the ones that have already gotton in, I'm sure they'll invest millions in new "solutions", the only solution I can think of is inventing some sort of poison that only kills these carp and then flush it down the river.

Would rotenone be an option for a massive fish kill of the carp? I realize that all the other species would die aswell but would that be better then the great lakes being destroyed? Also is it possible to apply rotenone on such a large scale?

I think that would require wiping out the fish population of the entire Mississippi watershed to prevent asian carp from getting into the great lakes... if they haven't already. I don't see that happening.

The time for proactive solutions is, I',m afraid, already past and gone. All that is left are reactive policy, and we all know how effective those are.

In the end Illinois and The U.S. will throw up their hands in frustration , tell us they tried their best, and suggest we now learn to live with the problem.

Same kind of response they've had with 3 mile island and, more recently, the BP oil spill. Wait for the disaster, then deal with the cleanup and fallout. Ottawa is no different either.