NORTHEAST REGION FIRE BAN

Muskieman

Looks like folks can still cook at least... a far cry from the previous all out ban on any fires a few years ago. Tinder dry folks.. so don't be sending smoke signals that you can't put out.

Wayne, do you mean cook with a bbq or camp stove only? From what I'm reading that appears to be the only way....dunno.gif

This was what Randy pulled up

Fires in restricted fire zones

12. No person shall start a fire outdoors in a restricted fire zone,

(a) except in accordance with a permit issued under the regulations; or

b ) unless the fire is for the purpose of cooking or obtaining warmth and the fire is in a stove or installation of a kind prescribed by the regulations. 1999, c. 12, Sched. N, s. 3 (1).

Guess you need to find that "regulation". Would hope a firepit is legal... but I know one year you weren't even allowed cooking and warmth. To be absolutely sure... I'd make a call maybe?

Edited by irishfield

This was what Randy pulled up

Fires in restricted fire zones

12. No person shall start a fire outdoors in a restricted fire zone,

(a) except in accordance with a permit issued under the regulations; or

b ) unless the fire is for the purpose of cooking or obtaining warmth and the fire is in a stove or installation of a kind prescribed by the regulations. 1999, c. 12, Sched. N, s. 3 (1).

Guess you need to find that "regulation". Would hope a firepit is legal... but I know one year you weren't even allowed cooking and warmth. To be absolutely sure... I'd make a call maybe?

Hmmm....might have to call. Looking around the website I got when clicking on the link above said that you would have to use a stove for cooking. Doesn't bother me....if we can't sit around the campfire at night, it just means we go try to find some shallow roaming walleye biggrin.gif

bold added by me:

Can I Still Go Camping in a Restricted Fire Zone?

Yes, by all means, go camping, hiking, fishing, have fun and enjoy our most precious natural resource, but if you need heat for cooking and warmth, you’ll have to take along a portable gas or propane stove.

When travelling in a Restricted Fire Zone, exercise extreme caution. Watch your propane or gas equipment carefully. Smoke only when stationary, never while walking or working in the bush, and make sure that all matches or cigarettes are dead out before disposing of them.

When an area has been designated a Restricted Fire Zone, you know the situation must be serious. Use your bush sense and act accordingly. Be careful with anything capable of starting a fire.

Edited by johnnyb

Lookin like a coleman lantern is gonna be the only mood lighting you boys have out there. Better bring a stove or you'll be eating sushi! ALL of Ontario, that lies North of Barrie, is now a TOTAL ban on open fires.

Edited by irishfield

Yeah, we have a handy little cookstove....but coals provide such a better cooking experience. BBQ's technically okay....so maybe we bring a metal tub and fill it with "coals"

Just in case though....what's it cost to deliver some Chinese food to outhouse island, Wayne? whistling.gif

The MNR just called us via telephone. This is pretty unuaual for them to make a special call out to us on this.

All fire permits are cancelled and no open burning is allowed whatsoever.

Cooking on gas or propane is allowed only.

It is promising to be a warm dry weekend, so I do not see the fireban being lifted. The Ministry's fire fighting resources are already stretched to the limit.

the capt.

I was planning on a weekend up north of north bay. No campfires kind puts a damper :whistling: on the whole experience. I guess that I will have to decide on whether to take the chance and have an open fire when I get there. Maybe have a pail of water ready if the fire gets out of hand ( doubt it).

I was planning on a weekend up north of north bay. No campfires kind puts a damper whistling.gif on the whole experience. I guess that I will have to decide on whether to take the chance and have an open fire when I get there. Maybe have a pail of water ready if the fire gets out of hand ( doubt it).

or don't start a fire at all dry.gif

I was planning on a weekend up north of north bay. No campfires kind puts a damper :whistling: on the whole experience. I guess that I will have to decide on whether to take the chance and have an open fire when I get there. Maybe have a pail of water ready if the fire gets out of hand ( doubt it).

Indeed it does take away *some* of the experience but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be nailed with a huge bill because a stray spark lit up the near north. One would also probably face charges as well if it could be proven where the fire started. As well, a pail of water would most likely be a bit inadequate if a conflagration started.

You'll have a better weekend up north sans fire, than me stuck in the city working on Monday.

C.O. stopped in this evening with more info on the fire ban and posters to set out. They are really showing a great deal of concern this time around. I have never seen this much attention from the MNR regarding fires.

Evidently we now have help from as far away as Newfoundland supplementing our fire crews with water bombers.

Also no fireworks are allowed while fire ban is in effect.

Please respect and follow the rules as many folk in this part of the country base their livelihood on healthy green forests. A major fire would be devastating.

the capt.

I sometimes watch Breakfast Television from Toronto for the news in the morning and tuned into the show a few minutes ago.

Turns out their doing an outdoor broadcast from Lake Rosseau in Muskoka today and they've got a bunch of the locals there and everyone is sitting around a big roaring bonfire.

You'd think at least one person would have heard about the fireban, specially those working for a large news channel :dunno:

What about solo up there in the bush, think he knows about this?

With Mike's experience in the bush and knowing what he does for a living, I'm sure he's way ahead of us on this.

edited to add: The fact that you even brought this up shows that you're a thoughtful human being. Thanks.