Lamprey in the Credit River

mistaredone

From Ontario Streams

There are five species of lampreys in Ontario two of which are non-parasitic.
The American brook lamprey has been captured several times in the Grand River and
the northern brook lamprey has been reported but not officially confirmed.
The American brook lamprey seen here is often found in clear, sandy or rocky-bottomed
habitats in association with brook trout.

Lampreys spend most of their life span in a larval or ammocoete stage where they
bury themselves in the soft bottom and feed by filtering algae and zooplankton
from the water or sediment. After transformation, brook lampreys may survive for
up to nine months without feeding after which they spawn and die. They are favoured
food of predatory fishes and are thus an important link in the food chain between
algae and brook trout.

Apparently some are protected, so make certain of what you have before killing any.

Edited by Dave Bailey

It was definitely a native species. An American Brook Lamprey.

Make sure you ID positively before you kill anything! Harvesting an Atlantic thinking it's a rainbow is just as bad as killing a native lamprey thinking it's a sea lamprey!

Most likely a native, non-parasitic American Brook Lamprey, however, Sea Lamprey were reported upstream of Norval last year. Very tough to tell the juveniles apart but if you catch one over 10" it is a sea lamprey.

Jon

Most likely a native, non-parasitic American Brook Lamprey, however, Sea Lamprey were reported upstream of Norval last year. Very tough to tell the juveniles apart but if you catch one over 10" it is a sea lamprey.

Jon

I had caught one on Rainy River last year that I though was a sea lamprey, it was about 12". I called the MNR and they asked me to preserve it so they could identify it. Turn out it wasn't a sea lamprey and was indeed native.

The size is an indication maybe, but not a sure fire way to identify the species.

I had caught one on Rainy River last year that I though was a sea lamprey, it was about 12". I called the MNR and they asked me to preserve it so they could identify it. Turn out it wasn't a sea lamprey and was indeed native.

The size is an indication maybe, but not a sure fire way to identify the species.

The sea lamprey is the only lamprey with 2 separated dorsal fins. 3 of them have 1 dorsal and the American brook lamprey can be tricky, it has a small membrane attaching the two.

Jon

Curious, adults that hitch hiked or evidence of successful spawning?

Some species are considered a delicacy, to the point where nobles could be sanctioned for not turning enough over to the king. And, just to look like the pseudointellectual that I strive to be; they are NOT eels as many think. Not closely related at all, being vertebrates is about as close as it gets.

I should have been more specific about using size. I think it is ok in this case for two reasons. First of all, the Credit only has two lamprey species - Sea Lamprey and American Brook Lamprey. American Brook Lamprey don't get bigger than 8 or 9 inches so anything larger would be a Sea Lamprey. Secondly, identifying lamprey correctly takes a fair amount of experience and is not something that I think most people could do. The key in Freshwater Fishes of Canada uses some pretty complicated things to id these guys so in this case, size is a pretty simple thing for people to understand.

If this was further north or on the west coast where there are other species, size would not be appropriate.

As far as their presence upstream of Norval goes, they either got past the Norval dam on their own or they hitched a ride. I know one adult Sea Lamprey was captured yesterday just upstream of Old Derry Road.

Jon

Some species are considered a delicacy, to the point where nobles could be sanctioned for not turning enough over to the king. And, just to look like the pseudointellectual that I strive to be; they are NOT eels as many think. Not closely related at all, being vertebrates is about as close as it gets.

I heard on the radio that Ont is sending a whole bunch to England for a special feast for the queen's jubilee!biggrin.gif I suppose the English are not that famous for their fine cuisine!w00t.gif. The guy on radio said they could have lots more if they wanted them!

I know we are all supposed to be conservation minded here, but this is a case where I'd kill first and ask questions later.