Au revoir Pepe

spincast

I only get one day a week that I can potentially hit the lake this time of year. And lately that day has brought North East winds and 3 - 4 foot waves. Just not fun in the 16 footer, and definitely not something to take my 9 year old out in. So I was all smiles when suddenly on Friday the wind forecast for Lake O improved. Initial plan was launch at Queenston and motor to the bar. If things got bouncy we could always take the shelter of the gorge. Then this morning at 5:00 Windfinder showed 3 knot winds out of our favourite launchthumbsup_anim.gif I made lunch and had a coffee then tapped G on the back at 5:20. "G- fishin day". He rolled over looked at me a sec and said AWESOME. He bounced out of bed and 3 minutes later was guiding me to hook up. As we drove East the sun made for a beautiful view on the few scuttering clouds, a blazing red line through the middle of the clouds that dispersed into a tamer reddy-purple at the edges.

Last 4 outings on O I have nothing to show - although G did get a couple nice ones our first 2 outings. Today though, I could feel the Karma. We watched the sun rise over the Lake as we turned off the Red Hill and onto the QEW. It was spectacular - and the view of TO across the lake was magnificent. Julie - shame you couldn't be with us - I know your photos of today would have been fantastic.

As we pulled into the ramp the local poop patrol had about 30 goslings running around. The boats are mostly in their berths, which they werent out last outing.

The sun was a little higher than I wanted by the time we hit the water - but we were still out and setting up by 7:00

As we hit 48 ft of water due E the rigger set to track bottom bounced twice - FISH ON.

Finally the lake relents and I bring in a PB 31" football from the bottom

Makereralaker001.jpg

About an hour later in 60 foot of water the same rod fires and G has 150 foot of line to bring in before he finds out what he has. Whereas mine swam right at us for a bit, G's bulldogs and make him work those little arms of his for all he's got. Now we are on separate teams he's gotta bring his own in. A few minutes later and he has a matching 31 in tank.

Makereralaker006.jpg

Ya gotta love it when the fish is so big it almost wraps around the guy. clapping.gif

We got one more about 23 - 25 inches about an hour later and that was it.

We're still looking for our first spring salmon. But I will take a day like this anytime. Great times with my boy, in great weather, and an entry for each of our teams.

So long pepe, hello the little fishy.