A Little Teed Off MNR Bull

bassjnkie

I’ve been sick for a while and couldn’t do any fishing. Today I decided to go out for an hour or so. Get to the spot and there is a guy fishing with a huge float. As I am setting up the guy runs to me with a huge smile on his face. He starts telling me he was almost in big trouble. Apparently he was fishing with a pike spinner when the MNR officer came to do his check. The officer said “what are you fishing for?” the guy says “channel cats” (there are no channel cats in this water), and then officer says “that’s the wrong lure you’re using”. What the guy told me next was messed up, he told the officer he was going for pike and bass and told him he already caught 3 pike and 2 bass. Long story short, the officer let him go with a warning. The real kicker was the guy was so happy he caught OOS fish and ranting and raving how he got off. I was pretty peed that I packed up and left.

Is there anything I could do or could have done?

I think these officers are getting a little lenient.

Other then explain to the guy that he got really lucky...you possibly could have reminded him why there are rules in the first place to possibly turn his train of thought for the better... :dunno: I would think the CO probably assessed the entire situation and since the guy was honest to him...he was cut some slack...it isnt like he had a stringer full of fish that he was going to sell

Its good that you got out and are feeling better

Edited by Twocoda

There might be something that you're not aware of with regard to that particular case. I would imagine that being so thinly spread around, COs would capitalize on every charge they could get. JMO

who is the warden to tell someone what lure to use ???? they have been fishing "suckers" in port hope with spawn for about 3 weeks. at sylvan glenn using spinners using flies ect ect... nothing the wardens can do but walk away

who is the warden to tell someone what lure to use ???? they have been fishing "suckers" in port hope with spawn for about 3 weeks. at sylvan glenn using spinners using flies ect ect... nothing the wardens can do but walk away

Calm down, Chessy. It's only a he said, she said story. You'll get yourself in a tizzy.

Roy i am fine. no tizzy here.. a tizzy was when people were fishing for trout 3 weeks ago and there was nothing the mnr could do.. that was a tizzy... and we are talking guys with 1000 dollar rods and reels that know how to circumvent the law

I use Bass crankbaits and jerkbaits exclusively for steelhead in streams, never do I resort to bait. Sometimes I use #3 and #4 spinners too. Works better and is actually fun and I have never had a warden say it's not allowed, because it is allowed and is certainly more ethical than roe as well. I think buddy was playing with you as it is commonplace for bait anglers to consider anything other that finesse bait tactics to be either snagging or attempt to catch OOS fish. What you should do is smile and carry on (and not take the bait lol)

Do you throw 12 inch Musky baits for Perch? Didnt think so....

Guy is full of it.... anyone who would brag about that to a perfect stranger is a moron that is clearly desperate for attention! Reminds me of someone that cheated and used his friends fish to "win" the Ford Angler of the Year title (twice).... :whistling: