Spring Steelhead

solopaddler

Steelheading is long over now at least as far as I'm concerned.

Overall it was a decent although unusual spring with the best fishing by far happening in February because of the mild winter.

The more northern trib's were either boom or bust at least for me. With a large portion of the runs just blasting right through you had to hit it just right in order to have success.

Much more consistent were the more southerly trib's with a bunch of banner days in the books.

Overall it was a much busier spring for me than usual, but I was still able to put in 15 days on the water and managed to fish with several board members as well, so no complaints.

Fidel (Highdrifter), Paul (Paulus), Chris (Live2fish85), Craig (I'mHooked), you guys were all a pleasure to fish with!

A small apology to Craig. He caught a bunch of nice fish with me one day but my camera with all his photos still on it is now sitting on the bottom of the Grand River in Dunville LOL! I will sign an affidavit for you if you want buddy, you definitely did catch some fish. ;)

The highlight for me was without a doubt getting my 5 year old son Brendan into a bunch of fish.

I gave him a custom 10' spinning rod for Christmas and paired with a light spinning reel it's a good combo for him.

Of course he refuses to use it. He insists on using dads $1500 centerpin rod and reel LOL!

Obviously he couldn't cast far enough, so I'd make the cast then hand the rod to him.

He did everything else.

Here's a couple video clips of the action:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N7gPhss8AmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dbq1XgTH0N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a few of the better photos:

SpringSteelhead2012012.jpg

SpringSteelhead2012013.jpg

Spring2012SteelheadWithBrendan027.jpg

Spring2012SteelheadWithBrendan017.jpg

Spring2012SteelheadWithBrendan019.jpg

04052012677.jpg

04052012679.jpg

04052012685.jpg

04052012686.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead009.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead003.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead013.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead012.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead006.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead014.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead025.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead021.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead029.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead031.jpg

Spring2012Steelhead034.jpg

Spring2012SteelheadWithBrendan028.jpg

The long sticks are now on the shelf 'till probably October.

It's now time to concentrate on some other species starting this weekend with brookies in Algonquin park. :)

Real nice Mike.

The long sticks are now on the shelf 'till probably October.

I cant say thats my plans yet.I think I got another 2 weekends left. Looking at them all summer is going to be painful.LOL

Have a good one at AP.

but I still like the boy with the stringer shot the most haha.

Me too. :)

Good stuff, Mike!! Love the shots of Brendan holding the bows!

I never did hit the rivers this winter/spring, looking forward to the fall for that.

Good luck at Algonquin, looking forward to some shots of nice brookies!

Thanks Frank, maybe next fall we can get out together.

Real nice Mike.

I cant say thats my plans yet.I think I got another 2 weekends left. Looking at them all summer is going to be painful.LOL

Have a good one at AP.

Ugh....another steelheader is born. LOL!

I enjoyed your report and pics.

Have not been to that southern-most river pictured above as I don't steelhead much anymore.

I used to make the trip there almost every weekend 15+ years ago - when it wasn't fished so hard. Great memories.

BTW - I think we met real briefly at the dock in Dunnville as you were just heading out (and lose your camers?).

Landry

I enjoyed your report and pics.

Have not been to that southern-most river pictured above as I don't steelhead much anymore.

I used to make the trip there almost every weekend 15+ years ago - when it wasn't fished so hard. Great memories.

BTW - I think we met real briefly at the dock in Dunnville as you were just heading out (and lose your camers?).

Landry

You are correct sir. I was in Albert's bass boat with my son when you were pulling out.

As far as the trib in question goes, I rarely fish it anymore myself, in fact I kind of despise it...but I've never had to endure crowds when I do fish it.

You'd be surprised what effect 20 mins of walking has on the number of people.

It's still a fun place to fish when everything else is marginal or with beginners. Always lots of fish. :)

Edited by solopaddler

Definitely a good time fishing together, whether we had a 'successful' day or not. :whistling:

That's ok, no affidavit needed...this time. We'll just have to replicate the outing to be sure there's some evidence next time! <_< Afterall, landing my largest Steelie & close to largest smallmouth doesn't happen everyday for this armchair fisher! :thumbsup_anim:

Brendan sure looks like he enjoys his time with his old man!

Looking forward to the Algonquin report next week. (Don't forget your camera ;) )

Definitely a good time fishing together, whether we had a 'successful' day or not. :whistling:

That's ok, no affidavit needed...this time. We'll just have to replicate the outing to be sure there's some evidence next time! <_< Afterall, landing my largest Steelie & close to largest smallmouth doesn't happen everyday for this armchair fisher! :thumbsup_anim:

Brendan sure looks like he enjoys his time with his old man!

Looking forward to the Algonquin report next week. (Don't forget your camera ;) )

We'll get out again next fall for sure Craig!

I meant to ask Mike,,,

Is that Dale Jr???????????? :w00t:

IMG_6742.jpg

Dale Jr? Have no idea who that is.

That's Fidel. :)

:rolleyes: Dale Jr.= Dale Earnhart Jr. son of Dale Earnhart Sr. one of the best stock car racers there ever was.

Hide under a rock much? :rolleyes:

Dale_Earnhardt_Jr_2008_Cropped.jpg

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ah that explains it, I'm not a fan of the sport. Watching grass grow or maybe even paint dry is far more entertaining.

And btw the dufussy looking satin shirt with the patches all over it doesn't improve my perception of this so called great driver. :D

I get my fill of that kind of thing on the QEW everyday. There's enough A Types zipping around everyone like angry hornets for a lifetime of race watching.

When I do happen to stumble upon a race when I'm channel surfing I just end up with a mild case of road rage.

I do enjoy a good hockey game though. Last nights game was SPECTACULAR! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by solopaddler

Common Mike help get the ratings up, watch Nascar, great looking photos as always, we will have to hook up for a fish in the fall steve I know Jeff Gordon, and Dale Jr. would win if they knew you were watching, and maybe Jimmi Johson and cheatin Chad would quit cheatin.

I like the idea of getting together in the fall. I don't think Nascar needs me to help boost their ratings though. LOL!

Thanks Dave. Zoey can attest to Mikes comment. She dont like him either. :dunno::P

Shame,I like Zoey.

HAHAHAHA! I forgot about that. :oops:

I trained my dog to attack on sight when she sees anything Nascar related LOL!

Edited by solopaddler

Dale Jr? Have no idea who that is.

That's Fidel. :)

My brain is back tracking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do believe,,,Yep,I do believe, I asked this question before. Oh it must be the,getting older thing.Or watching Grumpy ole men to much. :rofl2:

My brain is back tracking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do believe,,,Yep,I do believe, I asked this question before. Oh it must be the,getting older thing.Or watching Grumpy ole men to much. :rofl2:

I can relate. I'm morphing more and more into Walter Matthau every day.

Nahhhhh I must be Burgess Meredith. :D

Ya,thats you.LOL

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CITa_pmox4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CITa_pmox4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CITa_pmox4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>