Pickerel opener

Pipefighter

Hello all new profile but I've been visiting the forums for a while, so I know everybody can be pretty helpful .

Me and my dad do a week long trip every year usually in sept and our target is pickerel but the places Ive picked don't seem to be pannining out . This year for the opener 3-4 days in week or weekend doesn't matter, we would like to produce some decent numbers any and all suggestions welcome. We have a 18.5 bow rider with 115 hp motor with down riggers ( although I'm not crazy about down rigging fishing ). Because its only for a few days 4-5 hr drive

From Hamilton is preferred .

Has anybody been to marten river

My friend owned a lodge on red cedar lake in Marten river. The fishing was always excellent. A gold storm thin fin is the go to lure, just kills em there.

To get from Marten Lk into Wicksteed you need a running start to jump the dam ..... Or the other option would be to trailer your boat to the launch above the dam .... Watch for rocks, sandbars and deadheads.... Wicksteed is notorious for wrecking lower units .

Thank you Randy! I'll keep that in mind. :thumbsup_anim:

That would be interesting. That lake is closed to the public jan 1st to mid may. I didn't even know there was a local band of natives out there, or that it was treaty land.

You sure your sources are reliable?

Well the guy that told my brother lives very close to the dam and noticed all the activity and found out what was going on.

Opener May 1st in zone 14! That's Tuesday!

Walleye and Pike fishing hopefully Tuesday after work on G-Bay.

Have you thought about renting a cottage somewhere on G-Bay for the weekend. Lots of hot spots up that way, just need to know where they are!

Edited by N.A.W