Rainbow Trout Stocking on Earth day

Volunteers started to show up before 8am to get ready to Stock the 60,000+ Rainbow Trout, there were 4 tanks on trailers used to move them to their new home on the Saugeen River, Tires, Pumps & Air Tanks were checked, water was loaded into the Tanks & the Rainbows were on there way. Al did a great job organizing the Day, at least 3 different local Reporters showed up from the Press. Nice to meet some Old & New Friends. Job well done, Lake Huron Fishing Club & Ontario Steelheaders.

Thanx & Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

Kincarde Rainbow Trout Stocking Video

Great vid.

A few of questions.

I noticed the first dump,the fish were /seem much larger then the second. Is there a reason for that?

Also during the vid,I noticed, not one fish was floating/dead.Awesome :thumbsup_anim: . Of the 60,000,how many will not make it? Is there an estimate percentage put into this?

Is there clipping done,or any marking or something to determine they are stocked fish?

Great job. The Geen is on my list for this fall. Missed out on the spring fish. :wallbash:

Great vid.

A few of questions.

I noticed the first dump,the fish were /seem much larger then the second. Is there a reason for that?

i think the first tank was browns ...they grow more rapid then the bows

Also during the vid,I noticed, not one fish was floating/dead.Awesome :thumbsup_anim: . Of the 60,000,how many will not make it? Is there an estimate percentage put into this?

Natural selection will take over so i dont think there is a sure fire equation to determine the mortality...its nice to think they will ALL make it to return

Is there clipping done,or any marking or something to determine they are stocked fish?

fins are clipped to determine stock fish...

Great job. The Geen is on my list for this fall. Missed out on the spring fish. :wallbash:

it isnt over yet B the droppies that are re juvinated still put up a heck of a fight but dont make good table fare for at least another month once back into in the lake

Edited by Twocoda

Great fishery for sure, due to the efforts of the clubs that are stocking. It is not a wild steelhead fishery since this is a video of stocking, well upstream to imprint the fish to the Saugeen watershed, and with eggs derived from wild caught fish. In other words an excellent example to follow all around the province and one that has created a fishery some say might be as high as 30K returning fish from a low of about 700 fish not that long ago. Unfortunately this model is not the one being followed in most places around Ontario, if it was we would be enjoying large numbers of trout and salmon in most of our rivers not just a few.

Great vid.

A few of questions.

All the fish were Rainbows & a few months ago we counted & sorted all the tanks, so the smaller ones were mostly in 1 tank, but they varied from about 3" to 12" & were all last years fish. You would be very surprised at the differences in size, I know I was,

I don't have the number on the day but after 4 tanks were dumped the drivers only noticed 3 dead, I stayed for a whiole & talked to a dozen locals & saw 1 more plus 2 were taken by Osprey & 1 by a Seagull that we saw

We also with the help of the Ontario Steelheaders crew Clipped the Adipose fin on all the Rainbows & numbers seem to be about 40% return Stocked Clipped & 60% Non Clipped wild fish, last fall & this Spring Gonefishing.gif

Great fishery for sure, due to the efforts of the clubs that are stocking. It is not a wild steelhead fishery since this is a video of stocking, well upstream to imprint the fish to the Saugeen watershed, and with eggs derived from wild caught fish. In other words an excellent example to follow all around the province and one that has created a fishery some say might be as high as 30K returning fish from a low of about 700 fish not that long ago. Unfortunately this model is not the one being followed in most places around Ontario, if it was we would be enjoying large numbers of trout and salmon in most of our rivers not just a few.

I believe the reason it isn't being followed is because we are allowing it not to happen, if things keep going the way they are at the Saugeen as fisherman we need to get together & put pressure on the people that make the changes, join the Ontario Stealheaders &/or your local clubs so they can afford to keep up with the raising of the Rainbows, Browns & Salmon, if they take the Salmon Quota away from us lets have the Membership Numbers to put pressure were it needs to be to get the Eggs needed to improve the Fisheries, I'm still a Bass & Pike fisherman 1st but the Salmon School Program is sure catching a lot of youths attention & on May 1st the one school is going to have a Video crew there to get footage for a DVD that will be sent out to all Boards so I've been told, how many Schools could have this program if the funding is there, Education & Fisheries seem to go Hand & Hand

Tight Lines SBKthumbsup_anim.gif