Keeping bass!!

bucktail

Since the new regs are delayed until next year, I am hoping to start changing peoples minds about keeping fish.

Walleye numbers and angling success continue to fall in Ontario, while climate change has contributed to 2 to 6x increase in smallmouth bass numbers.

Anglers need to start switching there catch and keep attitudes from walleyes to bass.

Smallmouths now need to be treated as walleyes in the past and treated as renewable resources.

Without this change in attitude I fear the walleye population will continue to fall and a great tradition will pass away because of angler attitude.

Darren

Since the new regs are delayed until next year, I am hoping to start changing peoples minds about keeping fish.

Walleye numbers and angling success continue to fall in Ontario, while climate change has contributed to 2 to 6x increase in smallmouth bass numbers.

Anglers need to start switching there catch and keep attitudes from walleyes to bass.

Smallmouths now need to be treated as walleyes in the past and treated as renewable resources.

Without this change in attitude I fear the walleye population will continue to fall and a great tradition will pass away because of angler attitude.

Darren

That obviously depends on where you live bucktail, southern ontario may benefit from increased bass harvest, some places up here in northwestern ontario probably could also.

I know one river up here could sustain a much larger bass harvest, but people do not target them, nor do I normally, but when I do go there, I will keep a couple in a size range I like.

But, since the season does not open for them until the 3rd weekend of june, any size(4 any size after the 3rd weekend in June now I think, only 2 under 13.75 inches before that) I avoid fishing areas that have bass in them to avoid taking the males off of the nests, only to have to release them, because their size is above alllowable limits before the 3rd weekend in june.

I go elsewhere, where I will not accidentally pull the males off of the nests.

Why put the pressure on a different species, just means that you will end up with the same problem again. In twenty years we will all be saying don't keep the bass keep the walleye. I hear a lot of people in my area complaining about the walleye populations, fact is that most of the lakes in the area were stocked with walleye and are not native. (hmmm, don't hear anyone screaming invasive species when walleye show up in their lakes)

Sorry for the rant, it is just my opinion.

Despite your feelings Bucktail, anybody that legally catches and keeps whatever species they desire whithin thier daily creel and size limit is entitled to do so by LAW!

Some people could care less about eating a Bass (I happen to be one of them), but will eat thier fill of other species whenever they take a notion... now you wouldn't really want to deprive us of that God given right... would you?

Just my two cents.

Why put the pressure on a different species, just means that you will end up with the same problem again. In twenty years we will all be saying don't keep the bass keep the walleye. I hear a lot of people in my area complaining about the walleye populations, fact is that most of the lakes in the area were stocked with walleye and are not native. (hmmm, don't hear anyone screaming invasive species when walleye show up in their lakes)

Sorry for the rant, it is just my opinion.

Absolutely no one, and I mean NO ONE, would voice any dissenting opinion with walleye introductions into their lakes up here, thats for sure, WALLEYE is king, walleye is god.

Bass are sometimes considered a nuisance, but some people have transplanted them into waters that have not ever had bass, for their "clientellle". Now.................how do we deal with that???????

MNR didn't do it. Lodge owners say they didn't do it??????????,,,,,,,,,,,OK, .............who did.

Now, all of us, who have been fishing these waters for over 30 yrs. are finding bass in traditional walleye and pike waters, and we catch bass???????????

what it comes dowm to, is people CANNOT!!!! absolutely CANNOT!!!!! make a determination of what is correct for a fishery for their own personal purpose.

Lots of lakes up here have been stocked with walleye, some successfully, some not. But proven walleye lakes, naturally producing walleye lakes, some that even had commercial fisheries on them(long gone) now have smallmouth bass in them, and the MNR did not introduce them, so who did??????????????

Figger it out, who is to benefit from them????

If ya need a clue.............................

You know, I agree the Walleies got a hard life being on the best tasting list.

I don't target bass to often, but I do like the smallies over 3 or 4 lbs, could be a fun day on the water when the schools reach 4 or 5lbs averages. :lol: The little guys tick me off, snatching my bait all day.

try telling that to fisherman who fish trout lakes that have seen a dramtic decrease in lake trout populations because of the introduction of bass.

I am all for catch and release but sometimes I feel we may be taking things to far.

Nothing wrong with a fresh fish dinner at least you know its fresh and not filled with all the Bull hormones some of the farm raised salmon is

I agree there is a lake south and east of bancroft we used to fish for the bass opener we started there about 10yrs ago and there were no rockbass to be seen...and now the lake is so full of them its unreal...there is millions of them even the locals dont know whats happened that lake used to have a great population of bass and they are almost gone...we dont do that lake anymore...also the lake that my freind lives on is a natural lake trout producing lake and it has seen an increase in the rock bass population...and we are worried its very hard to figure out...and in some of the smaller lakes are getting overun by smallies and nobody keeps them...yet the lake trout pop is suffering...i always will keep a feed or 2 of bass early in the year and i wish a few more people would as well....cheers

Our family always keeps a few bass for dinner. When it comes to wanting a nice feed of fish, we are not picky...pike, bass, pickerel etc...all are welcome at our picnic table!

So many rock bass is prolly because people simply throw them back all the time without thinking of it. Alot of the ppl that catch the rockies are maybe ppl that really don't want to keep any fish, but are just out for the enjoyment of it all. If a lake is suffering from an over abundance of rockies, maybe somebody needs to inform the local chapter of the 'white bucket brigade' :lol:

Guest gbfisher

THEY 2'd us to death on Georgian bay with the limits already.

2 fish for most species...and slots to boot....Can't even feed your family with one type of fish anymore.

Ya have to be a multi keepin guy....lol

:Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: