What to do with White suckers?

wuchikubo

Hi all,

I was scoping out a spot to fish for the opener next week and saw a bunch of white suckers amongst the 'bows I saw. I want to give the trout a hand with their survival so plan to keep the suckers in a pail when I land them. Question is, what's the best way (if there is one) to prepare a sucker?

I'm thinking of filleting, soaking in brine water, send through the meat grinder and making fish meat balls. I figure, if they don't taste good :blink: , I may still be able to use it for bait (carp??).

Any other recipes or suggestions?

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Pickling is a popular preparation method Stan...the same way that they pickle herring.

I haven't tried it myself, but have heard that they are a fairly bony fish, like most coarse fish.

Let us know how it turns out!

P.S. Amazing how the steelhead will use the schools of suckers for cover ;)

Tony

i'm doubtful about using sucker for carp bait ... they aren't big meat-eaters (although they do eat them sometimes)... but according to what i've been reading .. they should be good for pike ... and maybe as cutbait for cats?

Each year I take 1/2 dozen down to our fish camp to use for lake trout bait later in the year when the trout are deep. a little piece on a hook seems to work well.

Also a lot of the folks up this way can the suckers and add a little food coloring to make it look like salmon.

grt1- You hit the nail on the head with canning the suckers and yeah a lot of people do add red food colouring to fool people...

I got tricked into trying a sandwich once from some a guy had done in his "american canner" and it wasn't bad at all, but it sure wasn't salmon to my taste buds. LOL I found it to be a bit mushy texture wise, but it was edible enough and I am pretty fussy about my eats.

Hmmm,

Cut bait, I didn't give it much thought until it was brought up. I don't know any channel cat spots, but seeing and knowing some anglers using suckers for pike in the holland river gets me thinking, how about a thin strips of cut bait trailer for pike/muskie on a spinner? :dunno:

Those are some great suggestions! I don't know about canning them, not my area of expertise. :unsure:

Those suckers better beware! Ha ha! :wacko:

I'd be careful about observing the - no transporting fish between water bodies laws ... a) ya dont wanna be in trouble with the MNR ... but B) that is a REALLY big faux-pas ecologically with all this VHS and other nasty diseases .. parasites ... and all ... remember that parasites, fungi and diseases dont die when you freeze them or grind them up as chum or cut them into strips for bait ....

(2 cents)

No Frills Grocery store sell them. They changed the name of it "Canadian Mulet." On the label.

And people buy them. They don't sell them exspensive either. Really cheap. So I guess they are editable.

dsn