April 10th Walleye..

manitoubass2

Well, today was a pretty bittersweet day. My oldest sons b-day and he spent the day with his mother, mourning the loss of their great grandmother. He was pretty bummed of course, but I explained to him if he could push his party back a few days, it would be well worth it. Like a champ, he said Omas funeral was very important to him, and he could wait until next weekend for his b-day party. Very proud moment for me, he's a beautiful son for sure!!! Being it was in another town, I couldn't be there with them unfortunately...

I was not in the best of moods when the girlfriend came home from work. Feeling like I needed to get out on the water and just relax. Then I get a call my uncle just passed??? At this point I'm like What the hell??? What a horrible day. After talking with some family, I decided to go out and clear my mind...

Water temps about 40-41 degrees and -2 temp, so I figured I'd just hit my favorite shore spot to fish, just in case I lost interest quickly.

I rigged up two rods at home before I left, one with a chart. bass style spinnerbait, one with a shakeyhead jig with a 6" worm I cut down to about 4"(never used that rig for walleye before).

I showed up at the spot and got all my gear ready. Only one boat out on the water braving the cold days before walleye closes for a month.

Second cast with the shakeyhead, BAAAM! Whoa I thought as I set the hook! That was quite the bite! After a good 5 minute battle, into the net goes a gorgeous walleye! I was wondering if that was a fluke??? I got the camera ready quick and took a crappie self timer pic.

april102012braytsbday007.jpg

The next few casts, nothing. Then, just like the first bite, BAAAM! Geezus I thought to myself, these are not normal walleye bites, lol. I must be onto something with this shakey head, hahaha. Another good battle, into the net the fish goes. This one was not quite as big as the first, but still big, gave it a quick measurement at 26" and another crappie self timer pic. Swims off like a champ.

april102012braytsbday009.jpg

Now I'm not even thinking about the bad day, just having some good fun hooting and hollering on the river by myself, while one boat looks on occasionally laughing. I'm fine with that, I don't see them catching any fish!

A few more casts, I get the tell tale walleye bite. Set the hook and do battle with a chunky, 21" walleye. He swims off great.

april102012braytsbday016.jpg

Now I'm really thinking about this shakeyhead, and how I'm working just off bottom, soooooo slowly with the odd slow twitch. Why is this driving the walleye nuts??? But whatever, I'll take it. A few more casts and no nibble on this one, SMACK! This one rolls, pulls drag, and rolls again. All the walleye guys know, big walleye roll! Is this one bigger than the first 28"??? Another really good fight, and into the net once again. A quick pic of a fat, fat 'eye and back she goes. D'OH! I forgot to measure it, DAMN!!!! Oh well, These a big fish, and they will be emblazoned into my memory for years to come, thats all that matters.

april102012braytsbday008.jpg

My phone goes off, its my daughter. Where are you???? She askes, actually more like yells. I wanna come down too!!! Ok, put the gear away, and go get my daughter.

We come back and get set up, by this time it's cold! I got ice forming in my rod guides and my hands are stinging cold. One more bite is all we could muster, a small male. We took a few more pics, dorked around, and she took a few casts as well. Dark was coming, and supper was on. We decided to head in to eat, and were treated to a great meal from the girlfriend. We (I) told the days stories and now here I am, feeling pretty darn good despite all that happened today.

april102012braytsbday013.jpg

april102012braytsbday010.jpg

april102012braytsbday020.jpg

april102012braytsbday017.jpg

april102012braytsbday027.jpg

I'm very thankful for my family, and it days like this that just give you that friendly little nudge to remind you...

For the day, I went 9/10, one fish was under 20", one was 21", and the rest ranged from 25"-30"... Thats pretty insane.

All fish but two came on a shakeyhead jig with that pinched off worm, two other came on a chart. spinnerbait.

What a day, just depends on how you look at it

P.S. Here is some more pics for you live2fish85, lol

clapping.gifthumbsup_anim.gifclapping.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

Sometimes you just gotta have some me time. The quiet to relax, settle down, and sort things out in your head. Don't hurt that there was a good bite on. Helps toyou forget the troubles, for a few moments anyways.

BTW, some right nice walters you got there.

Sometimes you just gotta have some me time. The quiet to relax, settle down, and sort things out in your head. Don't hurt that there was a good bite on. Helps toyou forget the troubles, for a few moments anyways.

BTW, some right nice walters you got there.

Thats right. After I had some time to reflect, it actually reminded me of some really great times I had with my uncle. Some were fishing and some weren't.

I had a great conversation with my son as well about his Oma, and he's taking everything in stride. I'm very proud of my boy for that and many other things!

Very selfless move on his part to give us the ok to move his b-day party back a few days.

So proud of all my children!!!

Nice shootin Rick. Amazing how a good day fishing can turn things around.Looks like an amazing fishery that river.

Thanks Merc! It is an amazing fishery!!! Specifically fall and spring, but the rest of the year is darn good as well!

Wow Rick, that looks like too much fun for one person...glad you shared it with yer offspring!

Cool report man....freaky walleye fishin'....love it!

Thanks Simon! These walleye are the reason I've been trying to get you here for a day fish, lol. It's tough I know. We'll get out soon I hope, and maybe even hit Rainy in the fall.

Definitely what the doctor ordered...those are some fantastic walleye! Got a picture of this shaky head setup for us? whistling.gif

It was what the doctor ordered, for sure. We are heading out again today, a little more stress relief from the funerals. I was using 6" Matzuo worms (like a Senko style) in a natural worm color with a little red flake in it. The package says glows in the dark, it lies, lol. I trim the nose off the worm and get the bait to about 3.5" before rigging it on a Northland Tackle shakey head jig, 3/16 oz. With the weight of the bait, it ends up being about 3/8oz.

april102012braytsbday001.jpg

april102012braytsbday002.jpg

april102012braytsbday003.jpg

april102012braytsbday005.jpg

great kids and nice walleyes man... what else could you ask for... congratz man.. and welcome back

Thank you kindly good sir! And thanks for the welcome back!!!!

The season is almost over, so I'm going out tonight and tomorrow as well. I be sure to keep you posted on how we do!

Nice of you to share.

Myself, I have found getting out by myself has many plus,s. Time to appriciate what nature provides,and clear your head of all troubles and pressures.Also nice to have a friend with you to talk with.

Again,thanks for sharing and nice walters.

Nice of you to share.

Myself, I have found getting out by myself has many plus,s. Time to appriciate what nature provides,and clear your head of all troubles and pressures.Also nice to have a friend with you to talk with.

Again,thanks for sharing and nice walters.

My pleasure to share Misfish.

I spend alot of time on the river, I find it very tranquil and relaxing. All my kids are usually right by my side accept my youngest daughter, shes still a little too young.

At the ripe old age of 10, 9, 9, 7 and 6, my kids are very capable anglers and nature enthusiasts. They love the nature as much as I do. It's our place, we spend more time there than at home.

When I'm old(er) I look forward to their take on all the stories we shared!!!

Thanks for posting! I think thats a a common theme between us, whether its the river, the lake of the bush, we all find the beauty of nature to fulfill a little bit of our soul.

Edited by manitoubass2