weekend visitors

Jer

Had a couple of travellers stop by the dock for a visit on Sunday:

HPIM2862.JPG

HPIM2868.JPG

They weren't shy at all, came within less than ten feet of us. When the dog jumped in and swam towards them, they didn't back off at all, even got kinda aggressive. Moosy thought better and high-tailed it back to shore.

HPIM2864.JPG

You can see the yellow tag on the back of the one. It had a 3 or 4 digit number which we just couldn't quite read. Obviously somebody is tracking them.

Are these trumpeter swans? They certainly had a good set of pipes on them. I have a video clip as well, but I'm video-imbedding challenged.

Yes.. they're Trumpeters. I use to do the aerial counts for the Wye Marsh earlier on in the program. Spring and fall to see where they were living, what hatched and what survived the summer.

If you can get tag numbers the Wye Marsh or Bev Kingdon would be greatful to know where the swans are. You can relay a message to Bev (whom released the first original reintroduction Trumpeter in Ontario) by PM'ing either myself or Bernie. I found out about 3 weeks ago that she is Bernie's cousin... always a small world it seems!

Edited by irishfield

Yes.. they're Trumpeters. I use to do the aerial counts for the Wye Marsh earlier on in the program. Spring and fall to see where they were living, what hatched and what survived the summer.

If you can get tag numbers the Wye Marsh or Bev Kingdon would be greatful to know where the swans are. You can relay a message to Bev (whom released the first original reintroduction Trumpeter in Ontario) by PM'ing either myself or Bernie. I found out about 3 weeks ago that she is Bernie's cousin... always a small world it seems!

Is it true that all swans are owned by the queen ?

Always an answer on OFC. Thanks Wayne, PM sent.

Its too bad you couldn't read the numbers because you can report them online and find out where and when they were banded. Its pretty amazing how many miles these guys travel, and how long they live! There seems to be more every year around the K-lakes. I see them in the fall duck hunting too.

S.

Not all swans, Chessy. Just the tundra's. There is a proposal in right now to the CWS with regards to a draw system for tags to hunt them this fall! I hope it passes, because i will be the first in line to put my name in the draw! I'd love to whack one! :thumbsup_anim:

swans are the only invasive species we dont kill... i don't understand why.. they will run off anything that comes near them they have a bigger breeding area than 3 canada geese .. those swans are just nasty

You don't understand because Trumpeter swans are native.

There's a bevy of trumpeter swans on Sturgeon Lake. I saw them just as ice was going out of the main lake near Snug, and again 2 weeks ago out in Goose Bay.

This morning our little bay had 4 wood ducks and more ring necked ducks than I could count.

swans are the only invasive species we dont kill... i don't understand why.. they will run off anything that comes near them they have a bigger breeding area than 3 canada geese .. those swans are just nasty

Sorry dude but trumps and trundras are NATIVE .. With trundras haveing a much larger pop than trumps (trumperters have slowly risen thru the hard work of people like Bev ETC , but have not yet reached levels to be able to hunt.. They (trundras have an open hunting season in alot of American states )so if you want to hunt swans look up where its legal to take a trudra and go there buy your lisence and bobs your uncle .I think the large flocks that Bob and others have seen may have been Tundras that due to the warm weather have started their migration early , but if there are enough Trumpters now that we are seeing "FLOCKS" all the better , both birds look alot alike "Trumpeter swans are the largest native waterfowl species in North America. Tundra swans are nearly as large as trumpeters, and both have white feathers and black bills. Some, but not all, tundras have a yellow spot at the base of the bill near the eye. Trumpeters never have a yellow spot. These slight differences make accurate identification difficult in the wild. The two can be distinguished more readily by the differences in the sound of their calls."from trumpter swans ques and answers , hard to tell between them for just obsevers not experts .. but we can hope these birds are on the come back and one day we will beseeing large flocks , cant imagine what 50 + birds of this size landing in a vee would look , or sound like ...

. MUTE SWANS are the invasive"s you speak of , brought over from europe and due too escapes have establised a population they also look the same white long neck (they are the ones you see in most swan pics in advertizeing as they have that great s shaped neck )black beak etc. but are some what smaller and as their name implys they are "MUTE" as in they dont make much noise lol.

Edited by capt bruce

There's a bevy of trumpeter swans on Sturgeon Lake. I saw them just as ice was going out of the main lake near Snug, and again 2 weeks ago out in Goose Bay.

This morning our little bay had 4 wood ducks and more ring necked ducks than I could count.

Don't tell Chessy, he'll be there with his shotgun :whistling:

Maybe a couple have migrated over here, it would be cool to get a local population.

If each pair displaces 3 pairs of geese, all the better. We have no shortage of those around here.

I've watched that flock grow from 2, 3 years ago, to 6 the next year, then last year there were 12. They are a resident flock that you can usually find down in ken reid conservation area. They are doing well, and safe from me.

Tundra's and mutes on the other hand....I can only wish for a season!!

S.

Now wouldn't that be great!?! I'd trade Canada geese for just about anything. I'd take gobies and zebra mussels over Canada geese.

Eating wise.... :dunno: I know I wouldn't eat any gobies or zebra mussels....but we do enjoy our share of Canada geese breast.....

Here's a great recipe for either ducks or geese.....

Cut breast into about 1.5" cubes.....then cut either a hot or sweet pepper into similar chunks....put the breast meat against the piece of pepper and wrap in bacon....place on a skewer with several others and grill on the BBQ until the bacon is crispy....ENJOY.....as it don't get much easier or better then that.....oh yea......we wash it down with a COLD CANADIAN BEER.... :worthy:

Edited by Billy Bob