1st Softwater report of 2012

limeyangler

Hi all,

Did a bit of research and figured our best chance for open water fishing (and catching) was a little stretch of water with some current about 10 miles past Blue Lake North of Vermillion Bay. Only a small area to cast(which got bigger as the evening wore on) and shared with a family of 4.

FOUND A PUDDLE TO CAST AT WITH MY BUDDY CLIFF

IMG_1305.jpg

We got there at about 5pm and it wasn't until 6:20pm that Cliff got the first fish.....a massive 6" walleye. I followed that with 3 exactly the same size and then Cliff got a nice keeper right at the end. Our guides were freezing up from around 6pm and there was a brutal wind the whole time we were there. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

AT LEAST WE AVOIDED THE SKUNK!

IMG_1306.jpg

The family beside us were using slip bobbers to anchor in the current with no success. Cliff and i were using a floating jig with a couple of split shot 18" up the line with a medium paced retrieve. The fish were small but very aggressive! Wont get out for 2 weeks now but the next outing will be in a boat...love it!

TANKER!!! Springs already arrived there too!

LOL...yup...tank! good news is they dont get too much smaller than that so the only way is up! :thumbsup_anim:

As for Spring....we are currently relapsing back to winter, its snowing outside as i write and thermometer is hovering around -7. Hopefully this kills all the blackflies! JK.

Simon,I don't think you recognized me when you stopped at Bobby's,I will be hanging my hat there on & off for the next while.

Lots of people heading to that spot in the last few days(before this cold weather)

Will let you know if the "bite" improves.

Enjoy your bi-polar spring. That walleye in the photo sure does a good smelt impression haha

LOL @ Bi-polar, its been a bit ADHD too, for that matter its been a bit QRSTUVWXYZ too!

It wont be long my friend. Just a short return to cooler weather, but we can handle thatclapping.gif Thanks for sharing !

Paul...i hear ya...its the same most years...this year just feels more extreme due to the crazy temps we got.

Simon,I don't think you recognized me when you stopped at Bobby's,I will be hanging my hat there on & off for the next while.

Lots of people heading to that spot in the last few days(before this cold weather)

Will let you know if the "bite" improves.

LOL...BUSTED! I did think...ok i must have chatted to this guy before...if not he is a really friendly guy...great customer service! Sorry Rick.

I was even talking about you to my buddy on the way up. We were trying to see if we could see your name on any of the signs by the houses. Anyway, be great to hear update 'bite' forcasts...maybe you'll join us some time eh? Just wear a red carnation so we know how to recognise you this time :whistling:

She's a beaute! Thanks for sharing!

She is that!

First pickeral of the season!! Awesome!!

Can only get betterrerer.