Side imaging

TJQ

Did anyone see the recent ads for the fishifinders that look sidways...

i though the underwater boat and bridge were cool.. any applications in fishing??

Had a side finder on my last fish finder it was a nice GIMMICK but spent more time screwing around with it than anything and it never did get me on to any fish,but then again most fish are smarter than me :rolleyes::rolleyes::dunno:

vance

Edited by vance

Actually it's not a gimmic,,,i recently purchased one myself and had it out for the first time last saturday,,,i must admit it takes a little understanding of how it work and what your looking at considering all we have been looking at for years was just what was under the boat streight down,,this technology has beeen in the making for some years and almost every manufaturer of sonars has r&d working on it,,just humminbird has come out with it first is all,,,,Anyway i have found a few sites to get information from,,,one is just new started the other day,,

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

whether ya like it or not,,,technology stops for no man!!

ohh ya side finder and side imaging,,,,,,not the same!

Edited by sonny

I'm usually the 1st to buy something like this and I did give it serious thought, but when I considered that no one except Humminbird is selling a consumer version, I decided to wait until names like Lowrance & Garmin get into the game. While the sidescan is not new in comercial markets, I don't trust 1st generation consumer technology especially from someone like Humminbird.

Cheers,

T

This is not as new as you may think its been around for a few years now, and like all electronics ifyou know how to use it nothing is better, I know guys who have had them for a couple of years now and wouldnt be with out them, shows you the bottom of a lake like you have never or could ever with a conventional graph, not for everyone because of cost,but if you tourny fish alot you can bet it puts you at a disavantage to those that do have it

I am surprised at all the Lowrance loyal folks here.

In my opinion, Lowrance has been riding their reputation for too long while other companies are pushing the envelope when it comes to technology and a quality product. If you seriously compare the colour sonars from Lowrance to Humminbird you will see a CLEAR difference, Humminbird coming out on top.

Humminbird is innovating while others are contemplating, kudos to them.

My next sonar purchase will be a Humminbird, but I haven't decided if I will go the SI route or not yet, it is a very nice unit. If you are near Tall Tales Bait and Tackle in Cambridge, stop in and talk to Pat about the Side Imaging technology and he can give you some great information as he is actually using the technology.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony

Guest Trophymuskie

Man my first or second boat back in the 90's had a side finder. I don't think it's anything new and probably just as bad.

Lowrance has a reputation because every year they keep coming out with new and improved products. I don't even need to look at any other companies, Lowrance has it all and I'm not worried about the quality.

Humminbird has come a long way from the early days. I've personally used a Side Imaging Humminbird since 2005 and it is a fantastic tool! It cuts down the amount of time looking for insolated cover, it works in shallow and deep water. The imaging is unbelievable I'll see if I can get a image of a wreck on Lake Erie from Derek Strub to post. But like everything else it is only a tool much like your sonar, you still have to catch the fish!

Dave

Edited by David Chong

Was out with Sonny today on Lake Ontario. Side Imaging is pretty impressive. Worked fine. Once you get used to what you are looking at it, it actually shows things you might not know was there. Not 100% sure on the brands, the competition and or the technology BUT from what I have seen I am impressed.

Easton

:thumbsup_anim: well said tony :clapping:

Had the boat out today on lake ontario,,,and although the lake is mostly flat the sonar did well and really neat to watch!!,,,not to many people catching alot considering we got out a lttle late around 830...but what a beatifull day!