HELP! selling a boat thats in someone elses name?

ch312

finally found a boat i want and just called before heading out the door. but, he just informed me that the boat is still in the previous owners name while the trailer is in the current owners name. he says the previous owner signed the back of the vessel license and the current owner filled in his information. then he mailed it to the vessel license place but they returned it due to missing information so he never bothered transfering the vessel license to his name. he says he has the paperwork the original owner got when he bought the boat new and is good friends with the previous owner.

the boat is 4 hours away so its not like i can just go see buddy if a problem arises.

what should i do?

You just have to re-register the boat in your name. No big deal. Go in to service ontario with your bill of sale, and get the paperwork. Not much to it.

S.

im concerned about the vessel license being filled out and never actually being transferred into his name. what is the vessel license place going to say when i walk in with the vessel license showing that someone else is buying the boat (on paper)? or will a bill of sale from the current owner be good enough?

theres no risk of this being a stolen boat?

is it legal to sell a boat thats currently in the previous owners name?

how do i find out if theres liens against it?

Edited by ch312

Just bring the bill of sale with you, and service canada will do the rest.

have a look here for more info:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm

The big question is, what are you getting? :canadian:

S.

he just sent pics of original bill from dealer with previous owners name on it and the current vessel license showing it was sold to the current owner.

so sinker, if i run into trouble ill be expecting YOU to sort it out :D

fully loaded g3 165f :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

he just sent pics of original bill from dealer with previous owners name on it and the current vessel license showing it was sold to the current owner.

You'll have to call New Brunswick now as this is where all transfers and registrations are done now.

Boats aren't 'licensed' only trailers are.. Just get it registered in your name and be done with it..

Edited by BillM

ACtually, Bill, boats are licensed. Did you look at the link I put up? What do you think those numbers on your bow are?? You register the boat for ownership purposes, and license it for....well....who knows why. They say they use the numbers in case of an emergency, but we all know its just a cash grab!!

Trailers are plated.

Look it up.

S.

sinker you don't register pleasure craft for ownership purposes, just licence. so dont confuse the guy talking about registration and ownership. you keep mentioning registration perhaps you should look it up.

its unusual for a regular fishing boat to carry a vessel licence. it certainly doesnt need one. also the vessel registration is only valid until the boat is sold, so the vessel licence you are holding kinda fades away at point of sale..if you chose to you would register it again in your name.

a boat with a canadian vessel licence was likely not a US boat, that would seem kinda obvious. there could be some concern with a debt as another reason to obtain a vessel licence is it holding a marine mortgage...

the bill of sale from current owner to you the new owner is your proof of ownership. there is no other qualifying document for ownership of a pleasure craft.

as stated earlier, service canada will place the licence (numbers on the side) into your name.

if the boat is commercial or a ship, disregard.

Edited by smally21

As long as the paperwork lines up.. you've got the registration signed over.. a bill of sale from the signed over to the guy you're buying from and then the bill of sale from same to you you're good to go. (other than you have no proof of it being lien free)

The double sign over is the oldest trick in the book.. seller is avoiding the PST collection on value by not registering it in his name. Unlike the trailer that has a 14 day mandatory notification law that he could be fined / charged under.. the boat registration does not.

Edited by irishfield

Sh it sorry smally Vessel licence signed over... the rest is copasetic. Look it up if you don't know what that word means.

Stop telling guys they can go to Service Ontario / Canada... Boat licencing has been an "only to New Brunswick" for some time now.

indeed, no longer service canada that does the processing. however you can still pick up all the forms/info/applications there. (if say, you had no computer, printer, internet access, or otherwise lived in a hut). rest is as you say, copasetic. very good, excellent, completely satisfactory.

have we figured out if the OPs boat is carrying a pleasure craft licence or a vessel registration? 'vessel license' could be either and what agency was it mailed to?

got to be one or the other.

Edited by smally21

im concerned about the vessel license being filled out and never actually being transferred into his name. what is the vessel license place going to say when i walk in with the vessel license showing that someone else is buying the boat (on paper)? or will a bill of sale from the current owner be good enough?

theres no risk of this being a stolen boat?

is it legal to sell a boat thats currently in the previous owners name?

how do i find out if theres liens against it?

Your bank can check for leins at no charge. I do it every time when I purchase a vehicle and twice when i purchased my boats.

well, its a slight upgrade from my little 14ft tinner.

she's sitting in my driveway after making the trek to sudbury to pick er up for $2k less than asking price. sorry to any OFC members that were checking it out on kijiji :whistling: ive been shopping since last summer, but i always wait until i find the exact thing i want before buying which has turned out great for my other big money items. hopefully the boat follows suit

2006 yamaha g3 v165f

yamaha 90hp 4 stroke w/ stainless and oem props

full enclosure

storage/travel cover

2 fish finders

2 big jon riggers with rods, bslls, flashers

trolling plate

4 yamaha life jackets and all safety gear

bow protector for towing

3 batteries

pretty much loaded...

Edited by ch312

ACtually, Bill, boats are licensed. Did you look at the link I put up? What do you think those numbers on your bow are?? You register the boat for ownership purposes, and license it for....well....who knows why. They say they use the numbers in case of an emergency, but we all know its just a cash grab!!

Trailers are plated.

Look it up.

S.

Those are my REGISTRATION numbers... It's not a license.

Edited by BillM

Nice rig CH312, get her out on the water and let us know how it fishes! :thumbsup_anim: Any pics??

Those are my REGISTRATION numbers... It's not a license.

Ok then :whistling:

Did you even open the link I provided? Any of you guys??

What is a pleasure craft licence and why do I need it?

A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number - commonly referred to as the "licence number" - that you must display on your recreational vessel, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This licence number helps law-enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner.

How should I display the licence number on my pleasure craft?

You must display the licence number on both sides of the bow, above the waterline, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

Seems pretty clear to me, no? Here is the link again. Have a look this time, only read it slowly so you understand.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm#g6

Boat registration is that piece of paper you have to carry around with all the rest of your paperwork. Pretty soon I'll need a briefcase to carry it all around in!!

I'm not making this stuff up, so unless one of you fella's can provide me with info to prove otherwise, this is how it works!!

S.